Is this odd with pinion angles? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Beer_30

Is this odd with pinion angles?

So I did a SYE with TW drive shaft but my angle was like 3 with no shim. It was ticking like a clock but loud when going just out of the driveway. Then I added their 8 shim and while it got better I still don't think it's enough. It doesn't tick but I have vibration now (scared to even get it past 15 mph). Do people really go 12? That's not odd? That 8 I thought was a lot.

I only have a 3.5 lift SUA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 PM
jokerchief462

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Here are a few pics to help out so the degrees only matter when installing the perches.

The degree of the shim to get the desired effect does matter.

If you need to to do a little reading go here

http://www.4xshaft.com/
Attached Thumbnails
2joint_angle.gif   cv_angle.gif  

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #3 of 13 Old 10-30-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Beer_30

Thanks Joker. I've seen that image 100 times and been to Tom's site almost as much. Mine was like the first picture, maybe slightly up. Then I added the 8 to bring it to almost the second pic. The only way to get to that angle in the second pic is to add 12 shim and maybe drop the TC which defeats the purpose. I talked with TW today and he suggested I get 12 if I'm off like I say. I just thought that is so over the top and wondered if anyone ran that.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-30-2014, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Beer_30

Actually I just went and took a picture
Attached Thumbnails
CV.JPG  
post #5 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 05:01 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The easiest way to do it is get an angle finder. Find the angle of your pinion and the angle of your d/s. Then get what ever shim will give you 1-2 degrees less angle on your pinion than your d/s. Thats it, not really any other way. unless you want to cut and re-weld your purches.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM
baktie_91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Obviously you didn't do your research before you installed the slip yoke, or you would have known that with a CV your pinion points right at the output yoke, and it isn't ridiculous at all. If you leave the angle like it is in that picture you're just going to cause premature wear on your driveshaft. The whole point of the CV is to take the driveshaft angle and put it in the CV joint, not to keep the angle like it was before
post #7 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 AM
jeepster93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The way you achieve the proper angle is to use the spring perches as the adjuster. By moving the axle pinion up or down to set this angle.
They, the perches, are not welded on during this adjustment.
Then, weld the axle perches in this location to finalize the angle.

No shims are used, no tc drop is used.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Beer_30

Quote:
Originally Posted by baktie_91YJ View Post
Obviously you didn't do your research before you installed the slip yoke, or you would have known that with a CV your pinion points right at the output yoke, and it isn't ridiculous at all. If you leave the angle like it is in that picture you're just going to cause premature wear on your driveshaft. The whole point of the CV is to take the driveshaft angle and put it in the CV joint, not to keep the angle like it was before
There's nothing more I could have looked up. I talked with Advance Adapters for an hour at least. I talked with TW's guys like 4 times. They determined what I needed. Why research anymore when I talked to the sources of both parts? They told me what could happen and every jeep is different. They guessed 8 and were close.

To keep using these shims, I would have to lower the TC but not an inch like before you think?
post #9 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Jeepsr4me

Yeah that pic shows your angle to low. You want to be pointed straight at the CV joint and down 2 degrees to allow for engine torque.
I have done a bunch of 8.8 and SYE and thats how i do it with no vibs...
post #10 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM
adiubald
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What shims are installed in the picture?

How thick are 12 deg shims? At some point it does make more sense to re-position the spring perches.

Did you use a short SYE kit? It make the DS a little longer and cuts down the DS angle.

Anyway , you are talking to the right guys (TW). They will get you straightened out.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM
The_Goob

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
if it makes any difference my pinion sits at 19* no shims the perches are welded that way. you need to go higher than where it is at by at least 5* (thats by eyeballing it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YJoTM ~April '14 ~June '15 ~April '17

post #12 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I see new springs in the photo too, so things will likely change in 6 months. The best approach is to find a buddy that welds and can help you put new perches (cheap) on at the right angle. To me, shims and/or t-case drop are just a temp fix until you can do it right.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #13 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Another ting that will affect the drive angle is you want to set it trail weight loaded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in