Which NP435 rebuild kit to get? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2020, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
9Dark6

Which NP435 rebuild kit to get?

Hey guys, making a separate post for this from my build to ask a specific question:

Which NP435 rebuild kit should I get? Whats the best bang for my buck? I've been stalled out(partly because I have been trying to order this at work and we have been slammed) largely because there seem to be several kit options and many places don't seem to have a comprehensive parts list of what the kit includes.

Novak has a complete parts list of what their kit includes but its $258, whereas I have seen kits in other places that seem to have the same components in the pictures but without a parts list I am iffy on ordering it because some places use "stock photos". I'd contact them but heck even the ford dealership the other day told me a part was in a kit when I called them and after ordering it and getting it in I found it was not... I'd like to find a kit that has syncros in it.

Also, I'm worried about quality. I don't feel like having to rebuild this tranny in a few thousand miles because the parts are crappy(I've had some crappy quality ebay parts lately in other projects) but I also don't want to overpay for the same quality parts I could get someplace else.

So do you guys have any input? I see the number BK127WS in several kits?

Broncograveyard.com has a kit that looks complete for a good price
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/NP-...uctinfo/21006/

Allstategears.com has one with a lot pictured but no actual list and it says "rings no longer available"?
https://www.allstategear.com/NP435-B...shoppingengine

Novak is probably the best but dang they are proud of it!
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...ts/np435-parts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-29-2020, 08:26 PM
GrantYJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd.

Have you pulled it apart to see what it needs? Those are dead simple transmissions. If it mainly needs bearings and seals, most of the kits shouldn't be too bad. For what it's worth, my brother is an early Bronco guy (a '74) and has had nothing but good luck with BroncoGraveyard.

I've got an NP435 that was orignally mated to a Dana 21 (craptastic T-case with no neutral or 4-low) that will eventually be mated to a 203/205 doubler that's complete other than working out the levers. The NP435s that came with the D21s were more like a 2WD NP435 (very different than the 4WD models on the tail end) and I should be able to shave a decent amount of length off when I build the custom adapter.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2020, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
9Dark6

Thanks grant, I've only pulled the cover off once while cleaning, I'm not 100% sure I'd even know what to look for. I've read recently that third gear catches heck with them so I'll look closer at that.

This was out of a farm truck for a dairy I used to work for in high school. I remember how you could hit the brakes and the shifter would fall back into first gear. When I bought the truck a few months back the farmers daughter told me that so many hands had tried that trick that you couldn't keep it in second anymore, or couldn't shift to second, I forget. So I figure that a total rebuild with new synchros isn't a bad idea. That old transmission taught a lot of youngins how to drive standard and has suffered a lot of abuse hauling hay an feeding cows lol

post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2020, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
9Dark6

I went with the Bronco graveyard kit
post #5 of 8 Old 08-04-2020, 04:47 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Probably should buy new 2nd gears. If it pops out to first the synchros aren’t the answer: the gears are worn out.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 8 Old 08-05-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
9Dark6

How can I tell if second gear is worn by looking at it? The rebuild kit should arrive tomorrow
post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2020, 05:29 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dark6 View Post
How can I tell if second gear is worn by looking at it? The rebuild kit should arrive tomorrow
Spalling, pitting, tapered edges, sharp-edged teeth. But if it pops out of 2nd on deceleration you don’t need to look at it much.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
9Dark6

Thanks Fish, I'll look at it, I hope to get to it this weekend or next week. I'm just going off what she told me, truck wasn't driving when I got it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in