NP231 Maintenance to repair - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 11-21-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Gypsy_Botanist
1993 YJ Wrangler 

NP231 Maintenance to repair

I was hearing some slapping coming from under the seats in my jeep and i believe it was the transfer case drive chain that had stretched out and was hitting the side of the transfer case when i accelerated after i have shifted gears. I took it to a mechanic and they said pretty much the same thing. It's a 93 yj and i can bet you that transfer case has never been opened. I opened up the case pulled the chain, cleaned the magnet ( it was f*%king filthy lots of think sludge and some metal shavings), i examined the filter it looked like something smashed through the top filter as i saw some plastic bits in-between the top and bottom screens, i replaced that and reading up on how to do all this i also replaced the little plastic pads on the shifter arm(i think that is what it is called). When i changed those pads i saw another component that looked like the shifter arm it had plastic pads as well, so i pulled it out also and it looks not good. It looks like the gear it is seated around wore off a bunch of metal and trashed the plastic pads. My question are: How bad is this for the case as a whole? Where else should i look for problems? Should i take the whole case apart, clean it, inspect all the components and remove any debris? If i should take the whole thing apart and clean it what should i use to clean it with? Does anyone know an easy way to get those pop ring looking things off because i trashed the tips of my pop ring pliers trying to get the one on the housing connecting to the rear differential.
Thanks for the advice

Attached Thumbnails
IMG951361.jpg   IMG951362.jpg   IMG951363.jpg  

Tags
5 speed , maintenance , np231 , repair , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in