Np207 transfer case fluid change. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-12-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
korYJ87

Np207 transfer case fluid change.

On the outset of removing fill/drain plugs. I came across issue with the skid plate not allowing me to fit the 30mm socket properly to the drain plug. It looks like the bolts holding the skid plate have been replaced and the condition of them look good. My question, could a worn transmission mount cause a sag not allowing me access to the drain plug? Or maybe the bolts, spacers or washers on the skid plate raised it somewhat?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pics would help

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-12-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
korYJ87

I’ll add pics

post #4 of 14 Old 10-12-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
korYJ87

Transfer/skid plate
Attached Thumbnails
7059AC2C-1435-4E60-A24F-03577B4F4EAB_1570932986778.jpg   81000886-EAE6-44EA-AF5A-4DAEFE68CF49_1570933012226.jpg   DB6256E7-742D-4420-9ABE-AFD0D84F52C2_1570933035144.jpg  
post #5 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 07:51 AM
Bigskyj

1989 YJ Wrangler 

How about using a ujoint on your extension or a wrench to break it loose?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 08:23 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I use a wrench 1-3/16 I think
Are those aluminum spacers for a skid plate drop or am I looking at that wrong? (I dislike skid plate drops because Clearance is compromised. My recent jeep acquisition won’t drive into its storage spot because it high centers on the trans skid on a ridge of rock. I sorta made that little “road” with my DD and drove in the ‘back way’ at least a hundred times this summer and never noticed there was a ledge there, just a bump. If you’re going to wheel at all you should save Pennies for an SYE; clearance is everything) pennies for an asked why E; clearance is everything)

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 03:18 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
I use a wrench 1-3/16 I think
Are those aluminum spacers for a skid plate drop or am I looking at that wrong? (I dislike skid plate drops because Clearance is compromised. My recent jeep acquisition won’t drive into its storage spot because it high centers on the trans skid on a ridge of rock. I sorta made that little “road” with my DD and drove in the ‘back way’ at least a hundred times this summer and never noticed there was a ledge there, just a bump. If you’re going to wheel at all you should save Pennies for an SYE; clearance is everything) pennies for an asked why E; clearance is everything)
Fish is correct. It is possibly a 1 3/16 but may be a 1 5/16. I also use a wrench.

Those do look like T-case drop spacers. They really should not have changed the spacing but may have changed the angle not allowing you to get your socket on. If your socket is really close to having clearance than carefully jack up the t-case at the tailshaft housing. The trans mount is rubber and will move up a slight amount without damaging it. If you need more clearance then un bolt the trans mount bolts that go downward through the skid plate and you can jack the trans and transfer up more than enough before it hits the body from the looks of the pics.

And yes, a worn or sagging trans mount could cause it but not a game changer.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
korYJ87

Good advice, thank you for the assist!
post #9 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 10:34 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

that doesn't even look like a YJ skid to me.

ANd i dont even know what i am seeing in that 2nd photo... does that exhaust turn inboard and disappear into thin air? man, too much turkey today i suppose

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #10 of 14 Old 10-14-2019, 06:50 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by korYJ87 View Post
On the outset of removing fill/drain plugs. I came across issue with the skid plate not allowing me to fit the 30mm socket properly to the drain plug. It looks like the bolts holding the skid plate have been replaced and the condition of them look good. My question, could a worn transmission mount cause a sag not allowing me access to the drain plug? Or maybe the bolts, spacers or washers on the skid plate raised it somewhat?
Possible. I recall getting a socket on mine w the oem skid plate

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #11 of 14 Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 AM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

ANd i dont even know what i am seeing in that 2nd photo... does that exhaust turn inboard and disappear into thin air? man, too much turkey today i suppose
That's definitely a stock YJ skid. It's just very clean, rust free and not bent.

Also, that is the air injection tube for the cat converter, based on that he has an early YJ.

The trans/t-case sits at more of an angle with the t-case drop. In a stock installation, there is enough clearance, but it's tight. You could probably just remove the trans mount and torque arm bolts from the skid plate and lift the trans/t-case with up a little to gain clearance instead of dropping the skid plate.

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project
post #12 of 14 Old 10-14-2019, 01:03 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitloose06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

That's definitely a stock YJ skid. It's just very clean, rust free and not bent.

Also, that is the air injection tube for the cat converter, based on that he has an early YJ.

The trans/t-case sits at more of an angle with the t-case drop. In a stock installation, there is enough clearance, but it's tight. You could probably just remove the trans mount and torque arm bolts from the skid plate and lift the trans/t-case with up a little to gain clearance instead of dropping the skid plate.
Everything made much more sense to me this morning. Thanksgiving lunch/dinner and some red wine really made me see those images in quite an odd manner yesterday!

Thanks.
Boojo35 likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 14 Old 10-16-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
korYJ87

I’m already learning a lot from reading the threads from you all!

Another question I’d like to pose: I’m leaning towards synthetic motor oil. A friend suggested using valvoline ‘max life’ full synthetic. Claiming the age of the Jeep.
When I purchased this yj, it had 48k orig. I went w/ conventional 10-30. I’m now 60k. Would this be ok to do? I’ve watched on utube that if you go with a ‘max life’ you must STay w/ it. Lastly, my buddy has already put it in his vehicle, at mileage 50k and if he is wrong should he or can he switch? Max life recommends for vehicles over 75k.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-16-2019, 04:37 PM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by korYJ87 View Post
I’m already learning a lot from reading the threads from you all!

Another question I’d like to pose: I’m leaning towards synthetic motor oil. A friend suggested using valvoline ‘max life’ full synthetic. Claiming the age of the Jeep.
When I purchased this yj, it had 48k orig. I went w/ conventional 10-30. I’m now 60k. Would this be ok to do? I’ve watched on utube that if you go with a ‘max life’ you must STay w/ it. Lastly, my buddy has already put it in his vehicle, at mileage 50k and if he is wrong should he or can he switch? Max life recommends for vehicles over 75k.
Through a lot of research that I did, I'd say it's your call if you want to go to synthetic. If you search my posts, you will see a thread I created about motor oil and asking the same question.

The short answer is I have maybe like 50k(?) on the engine since it was rebuilt and the PO used a blend. I was afraid about going to full synthetic that it would cause leaks. I decided to use Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic a few months ago and things have been OK.

I say OK because I did have an oil leak, but it's something that was probably already there. The source was the oil pan bolts not being tightened down enough, and I believe the gasket may have something going on with it. Besides that small leak, things have looked good. And for my particular leak, I just put some RTV at the end of the bolt where the washers go and it seemed to fix the problem. I haven't driven it much, but that's just been my experience.

As for the high mileage oils, somebody smarter can explain it but I believe it just has more anti-swelling additives to it so the seals don't leak. I just went the regular route because I was afraid that the 'high mileage' oils would clog something up.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in