JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   No start (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/no-start-4403131/)

jaycal3 07-04-2020 06:45 PM

No start

On vacation after driving the Jeep 3 hours and got back in to a no start. The gauges move and lights work but there is no clicking or cranking. Any ideas off the top? I thought maybe fuel pump because I donít hear it but wouldnít it still crank?

Iím in Lake George until Monday if anyone is in this area - I have no tools but can buy beer and pay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtec 07-04-2020 09:16 PM

maybe NSS or clutch switch.

jaycal3 07-04-2020 09:49 PM

No start

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtec (Post 41012235)
maybe NSS or clutch switch.

I may have to have it towed Sunday and hope for a fix by Monday.

dead_eye 07-05-2020 09:49 AM

My YJ is an auto and does this sometimes. I shift it to neutral and it will crank and run fine. If yours is an auto, try this.

mikewiz38 07-05-2020 10:03 AM

Could also be the starter. You can test it by jumping the terminals, but use caution.

wizekrakr 07-05-2020 10:34 AM

First thing to check is your battery cables. Pull off both the pos and neg and clean the posts and the cable ends. Make sure to scrape any hardened surface or crust off of them. Then you can go from there. Try some jumper cables. That will usually eliminate battery issues. If nothing still you will need to check the starter trigger. Could be an interlock like stated above with an auto trans.

jaycal3 07-05-2020 10:44 AM

Just wanted to update: it was the ground wire to the block... it was fried and pulled off. All set now!

GTS225 07-05-2020 03:24 PM

Must have been loose or dirty for some time to be fried that badly.

Roger

Boojo35 07-05-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS225 (Post 41012691)
Must have been loose or dirty for some time to be fried that badly.

Roger

That right there is one of the most misunderstood things in auto electrical. People think that the current or amperage increased causing the meltdown when it is the other way around. Excessive resistance causes heat. The current or amperage actually decreases. Think of a seat heater. It is how they work and why they get warm. When this happens at a connection it is bad juju. Js.

GTS225 07-06-2020 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boojo35 (Post 41012743)
That right there is one of the most misunderstood things in auto electrical. People think that the current or amperage increased causing the meltdown when it is the other way around. Excessive resistance causes heat. The current or amperage actually decreases. Think of a seat heater. It is how they work and why they get warm. When this happens at a connection it is bad juju. Js.

And the load never changed. (Probably the starter motor load) The loose/dirty/corroded connection is what causes the increase in resistance. Trying to pull the same current load through the now poor connection is what causes the heat. Each time this is done, the connection gets just a little poorer and more burnt, until finally, it gives out entirely.

Wait.....maybe I should ask if you're finding fault with my response, or expanding on it?

Roger

Boojo35 07-06-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS225 (Post 41013069)
And the load never changed. (Probably the starter motor load) The loose/dirty/corroded connection is what causes the increase in resistance. Trying to pull the same current load through the now poor connection is what causes the heat. Each time this is done, the connection gets just a little poorer and more burnt, until finally, it gives out entirely.

Wait.....maybe I should ask if you're finding fault with my response, or expanding on it?

Roger

Expanding on it.

YoYjay 07-09-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boojo35 (Post 41013563)
Expanding on it.

Good to know the two of you didn't have a "disconnect".:grin2:
I'll let myself out now ...

fishadventure 07-09-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycal3 (Post 41012553)
Just wanted to update: it was the ground wire to the block... it was fried and pulled off. All set now!Sent from my iPhone using iCrapntalkie

Okiedokie then
I was working but then again Lake George is four hours...

The time now is 01:32 AM.