no power to front axle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-21-2004, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
MarathonScott

no power to front axle

Hi all,
I am a new owner of a '90 red wrangler with the I6 and AIR CONDITIONING ( i live in the Fla Keys). It only has 70K miles and no rust! Anyway, my problem is that I don't know what to expect when I put the TC into 4H. I have read all the posts about vacuum and slipping collars. I learned enough from everyone's posts to properly hook up the vacuum and now the light comes on and the collar slips over to connect the front axle toghther. (I took off the vacuum motor cover to verify the position of the collar). My question is -- what should I get with both front wheels off the ground, engine off, the transmission in 1st, the TC in 4H and the axle collar locked? Should I be able to turn the front drive shaft in that condition? When I turn the shaft by hand, both front wheels turn in the same direction.

The PO has had the clutch replaced, so the TC and trans came out, right? The jeep goes into 4L but i forgot to check if there was power to the front axle in 4L. What I have learned from the other posts is that maybe the linkage to the TC is set wrong, and/or there is no connection in the TC for the front (such as a broken chain, perish the thought).

Does anyone have any thoughts about this, and what should i check next??

Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Jimmylh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarathonScott
Hi all,
I am a new owner of a '90 red wrangler with the I6 and AIR CONDITIONING ( i live in the Fla Keys). It only has 70K miles and no rust! Anyway, my problem is that I don't know what to expect when I put the TC into 4H. I have read all the posts about vacuum and slipping collars. I learned enough from everyone's posts to properly hook up the vacuum and now the light comes on and the collar slips over to connect the front axle toghther. (I took off the vacuum motor cover to verify the position of the collar). My question is -- what should I get with both front wheels off the ground, engine off, the transmission in 1st, the TC in 4H and the axle collar locked? Should I be able to turn the front drive shaft in that condition? When I turn the shaft by hand, both front wheels turn in the same direction.

The PO has had the clutch replaced, so the TC and trans came out, right? The jeep goes into 4L but i forgot to check if there was power to the front axle in 4L. What I have learned from the other posts is that maybe the linkage to the TC is set wrong, and/or there is no connection in the TC for the front (such as a broken chain, perish the thought).

Does anyone have any thoughts about this, and what should i check next??

Thanks
Scott
Do like I did. I wasn't sure if my 4wd was working because my 4x4 light does not work. I put the Jeep up on 4 jackstands and tested it with it running. No guess work with that method. Found out everything worked. Now I have to figure out why the light doesn't come on.

88 YJ Laredo
03 TJ Sport
03 Cobra
01 Isuzu Rodeo Sport
94 F150
post #3 of 4 Old 01-21-2004, 09:05 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmylh
Do like I did. I wasn't sure if my 4wd was working because my 4x4 light does not work. I put the Jeep up on 4 jackstands and tested it with it running. No guess work with that method. Found out everything worked. Now I have to figure out why the light doesn't come on.
Jimmy, sounds like either the bulb is blown or the vacuum switch on the firewall is failing. check the bulb first, and if that looks good, cut the wire coming from the switch and ground it out. if the light comes on when you do that it's the switch. if not, and you're sure the bulb is good (test with continuity tester) then check the contacts in the bulb socket for corrosion and make sure you have power coming in. to do that test each side of the bulb socket with a 12V light. one side should light up the bulb when you touch it and a ground and the other side shouldn't. at least i'm pretty sure that's how it works. there's only one wire going to that vacuum switch so that's the only way i can see it working. HTH

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood

post #4 of 4 Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
MarathonScott

Well, I figured out what was wrong. It was the nut holding the wheel. I didn't pull the shift lever far enough to engage the TC.

Many thanks to Jimmy for your good info, and to all who have posted about the front axle and its inner workings. I sure did learn a lot from all of you.

Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in