No heat - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
yj-jachal

Garage
No heat

The heat in my 90’ yj does not get very warm.. I’ve changed thermostat , new coolant to no avail.. was thinking heater core might be plugged... any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes. It could be the cause. How hot do the radiator hoses get? Too hot to touch? What is coolant temp on gauge? If hot enough then it maybe a plugged heater core. Feel or touch you heater hoses where they go into the firewall. Is one almost to hot to touch or hold onto for a couple of seconds and the other one is luke warm or cold? If that is the case. The heater core is likely plugged.
bharris68 likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 04:38 AM
CESWAMPY
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When you replace your heater core. Do blower motor upgrade if that is not already done. You will like the outcome!!!!
bruinjeeper likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 05:15 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESWAMPY View Post
When you replace your heater core. Do blower motor upgrade if that is not already done. You will like the outcome!!!!
Agreed. One of the best things I did. And I live in the deep-freeze belt

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #5 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 AM
bharris68
Daily Driver
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have been trying to find a thread where the process for enlarging that hole PROPERLY is detailed with pictures.. I can find the threads, but most of the pictures are no longer showing

The two prescribed methods are:

1. pop rivet or otherwise secure a fresh plate of thin material over the existing hole so your new hole-drill pilot shank can have something to dig into and cut all the way around cleanly.

2. create a wood template the SAME diameter as the existing hole. it should be thick enough that it will sit inside the LARGER diameter hole saw. In this way - the pilot shank has the wood block firmly inside the existing hole and the hole saw can cut a nice, clean hole for your new blower motor.

I did not follow either of the two steps above.

I did GET the hole "enlarged"... but it looks like a 9-year-old did it with scissors and a file.... I would spare you that embarrassment .

When I have to drop the heater box again, I'll make it nicer for sure. At the original point in time, I had to get it back on the road because it was my daily driver
post #6 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 01:03 PM
CESWAMPY
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I used #2 method. Then if you go to quadratec and type in heaterblower to firewall seal it should show the right seal needed for the larger motor. You need the one that is completely round!!
bharris68 likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 07:58 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris68 View Post
I have been trying to find a thread where the process for enlarging that hole PROPERLY is detailed with pictures.. I can find the threads, but most of the pictures are no longer showing
The last one I did, I drew I line in perm marker about 1/4” from oem opening. Then I took the 1/4” die grinder and slotted the opening’s perimeter. I hammered it over to the inside.
bharris68 likes this.

Cranking IS turning over
post #8 of 16 Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I used existing holes and bolted a piece of treated lumber to it and then drilled out the hole.
Attached Images

bharris68 likes this.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 AM
bharris68
Daily Driver
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks JMac! That's one of the picture sets I was hoping to find
post #10 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 04:48 PM
zrickety
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
A new heater core goes a long way. I also did the fan upgrade, O'Reilly had it in stock! I enlarged the hole using a cut off wheel and bending the metal back. In retrospect, I should have just used tin snips. Home depot has some great weather seal you can wrap around the motor, something like 3/4"? You'll know once the old one is out. My heater almost blows fire now.

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
post #11 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 08:38 PM
Rudys88

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried back flushing the core? I was getting very little heat on my 88 and did a backflush of the core. Disconnect the two heater hoses. One at the water pump and the other behind the carb on the intake manifold. Run water thru the hose from the water pump (return line) thru to the hose heading to the manifold. A big slug of green snot and some grit came out of mine. Then reversed the flow a couple of times back and forth. After that, my heater was hot again. Worth a try before you go thru all the trouble of replacing the core.

'88 Wrangler 4.2L with famous BA-10 trans, 31" Kelly Safari's, 2" body lift, Carter/Crown BBD.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 09:25 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
His 1990 would likely benefit from a new blower motor though, and if you’re that far you might as well spend $22 or whatever and get the new motor in at the same time.

Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 16 Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 AM
defmornahan

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudys88 View Post
Have you tried back flushing the core? I was getting very little heat on my 88 and did a backflush of the core. Disconnect the two heater hoses. One at the water pump and the other behind the carb on the intake manifold. Run water thru the hose from the water pump (return line) thru to the hose heading to the manifold. A big slug of green snot and some grit came out of mine. Then reversed the flow a couple of times back and forth. After that, my heater was hot again. Worth a try before you go thru all the trouble of replacing the core.
I think it's worth trying to flush the heater core and also cleaning up the contact for the blower motor and maybe replacing the connector with a new female spade terminal while you're at it. My blower works noticeably better for that.

If that doesn't work, then yeah, you need to dismember the dashboard and replace the core, and you might want to replace the fan. A real pain in the *** if you have that awful bolt-on air conditioning evaporator in the way. I took the opportunity to remove the one on my '87 completely (I doubt it had been working since the 20th century).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on science and religion
post #14 of 16 Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

IMO your old heater core is worth saving and repairing. My 89's stock core is made of brass and fits perfectly in the box, all of the brackets line up. The replacement was aluminum and smaller so I would have had to wrap it around the edges with foam to make it wedge in. I took my core to a radiator shop where they flushed and tested it. My problem wound up being a bad hose, so I returned the new core and have been warm and happy ever since.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!
post #15 of 16 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
Matthewavogt

Is your engine hitting temp?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in