No electrical anything.... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2020, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
TrevorThe88YJ

No electrical anything....

I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler - went to start it and it was absolutely dead. Figured it was the battery, but nope; the battery is in great shape. Followed the battery wire down to what I think is the starter solenoid where a mess of wires are connected. I haven't been able to find much in the way of quality wiring diagrams online to help figure it out, but reading what's out there, looks like a bunch of fusible links coming off the starter solenoid and at least one probably goes back to the ignition switch. I have power at the solenoid, but without stripping wires to measure past the fusible links; I'm not sure how to tell if one or more of those is blown or which one goes where. By messing around with those wires, I was finally able to get power on again, but I'm sure that is temporary and will cut out on me at the worst time. Any suggestions on quality wiring diagrams and how I can track this problem down and fix it for good? Thank you so much in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-08-2020, 04:42 AM
jkbrereton

I've never heard of fusible links going bad, not to say it isn't possible. I assume you checked your fuses, battery cables, quality of your ground connections, the basics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 08-09-2020, 05:05 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There should be one fat battery cable to the starter solenoid, and one 16ga wire (rarely: two) that is the solenoid trigger.

Messing with the wires ‘brought it back’ which shows something is not tight or there is corrosion one the wires.
Either way, everything should not be get from the solenoid. That’s weird. Things need to be fused.

Usually things are fused from an underhood Power Distribution Center.

So anyways, long story short, it sounds like searching, sorting, cleaning, and reassembly is what you need to use up your spare time with. Replace bad aka corroded wires and for under $20 all new battery cables wouldn’t hurt.

Post pics of aforementioned rat’s nest. I’m confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrereton View Post
I assume you checked your fuses, battery cables, quality of your ground connections, the basics.Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using iCrapNtalk
Exactly

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 5 Old 08-09-2020, 10:42 AM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would first start with going to your local parts store and picking up a new solenoid where all of the wires go to on your firewall. The new one will have clean contacts and letter designations on it so you can see what they are all for. That solenoid actuates when you turn your key to the on and start positions. When it is on it provides power to your jeeps power distribution boxes (fuses). Get all of those wires cleaned up and reattached to the new solenoid and your problems will most likely be solved.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-09-2020, 11:09 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
...........ah. Right. Remote solenoid.......

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in