no clutch - just dangles there....lol - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

no clutch - just dangles there....lol

Hello,

I am new here and while I have done some repairs on vehicles over the years, never on a Jeep or a clutch. This is new for me.

I got in my Jeep and the clutch seemed fine, I stopped at a stops sign and when I went ot put into first there was no clutch...it is just dangling there..no pressure or anything...just a swinging bar.

What is wrong? I have read things so far about master cylinders and slave cylinders...what sort of cost for parts and labor am Ilooking at here?

I need advice and remember I need you to explain things to me as if I were learning about engines for the first time. I want to understand but not always sure what certain parts are named, etc. Does that make any sense?

I hope someone can help me out. Please email me your answers to:
[email protected] Thanks so much!!

Kim ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well Kim it sounds as though the rod going into the clutch master cylinder has come undone, or your master cylinder is shot.

Scenario #1 is just a quick reattaching repair.

Scenario #2 is about $50 + fluid, and a few bolts & bleed the system.

Check out master cylinder pricing at www.rockauto.com for great deals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Billy13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Slave cylinder may be bad. I had my clutch and slave cylinder done for around 650. was there any fluid coming out around the bell housing? and what year jeep do u have cuz that would be a great help?

post #4 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy13 View Post
Slave cylinder may be bad. If its an internal slave cylinder it can get pricey so check around
I didn't mention that, I was trying to use the "power of positive thinking" fer the newbie....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #5 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!! LOL!! Billy, thanks for giving me the bad news first, I do hope it doesn't come to that. But better to be prepared for the worst and hope the best right?

Thanks to you as well Mean Max... who is not soo mean I like your approach as well, and for mysake I hope it goes iin the direction you mentioned. It is dark here now and no garage so I will check for those things tomorrow.

I do have one question, what exactly am I looking for and what general area am I looking for it in? I hope I dont sound too stupid here.

thanks again ,
Kim
post #6 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Billy13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I didn't mention that, I was trying to use the "power of positive thinking" fer the newbie....

I didnt want to hear it either when it happend to me
post #7 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Billy13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverocks4013 View Post
Thanks guys!! LOL!! Billy, thanks for giving me the bad news first, I do hope it doesn't come to that. But better to be prepared for the worst and hope the best right?

Thanks to you as well Mean Max... who is not soo mean I like your approach as well, and for mysake I hope it goes iin the direction you mentioned. It is dark here now and no garage so I will check for those things tomorrow.

I do have one question, what exactly am I looking for and what general area am I looking for it in? I hope I dont sound too stupid here.

thanks again ,
Kim
crawl under that bad boy and see if u have any fluid drippin around the bell housing (transmission) it should be comin out pretty good if your slave cylinder went. mine poured all the fluid in like 1 min.
post #8 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks to you as well Mean Max... who is not soo mean ARRGGH! It's out there already! I like your approach as well, and for mysake I hope it goes iin the direction you mentioned. It is dark here now and no garage so I will check for those things tomorrow.

thanks again ,
Kim
The only stupid questions are the ones that go un-asked.

Look under the dash at the top of the pedal assembly. There should be a linkage rod that goes from the clutch pedal assembly through the firewall and into the rear of the master cylinder. A clip holds it onto the pedal assembly. It's not uncommon for them to fall off. Also look for signs of brake/clutch fluid leaking under the dash where the rod goes into the master cylinder, that's a common symptom of a bad master. Also check the fluid level in the master.

If the clip is okay, and the master looks okay too, you may very well need a slave cylinder. Due to the labor intensity of replacing an internal slave cylinder (tranny must be removed) I would still do the master firts & see how it goes. It's a lot cheaper & easier, and if you do need a new slave, you should definitely replace the master anyway, so why not start there first?

Quote:
Quote:

post #9 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will definitely check all those things. Thanks for your help.

I do know this much my driveway has zero signs of leakage of any kind. And I did not notice any inside the vehicle but I wasn't looking either...I will most def check that tomorrow and report my findings after I ahve inspected it.

you guys are great!! Thanks so much for eveything...and I will be back!
post #10 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I do know this much my driveway has zero signs of leakage of any kind.
That's a good sign! Usually, a bad slave will POUR fluid out!

See how well that "positive thinking" thing works?

Quote:
Quote:

post #11 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have a great night guys!! I will be back tomorrow to let you know what's up.

~ Love Rocks ~
post #12 of 35 Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have a great night guys!! I will be back tomorrow to let you know what's up.
We'll be waiting........

Quote:
Quote:

post #13 of 35 Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hi guys!

Well I had a look inside first..the clutch pedal is disconnected from the rod that connects to, what I am guessing th emaster cylinder on the onther side of the firewall. I found a round black plastic ting that appears to possibly be sort of a clip but not sure what its purpose is. I have for the past few hours been online looking for some information that could actually give me a break down of how the cluthc is put together so I can try and understand what I am looing at. Unfortunately, I am coming up with nothing. Maybe I am wording my question wrong but I am unable to find out waht it is I want to know.

I found no leakage inside the vehicle or outside...so I think that is good news. I am summizing that I will have to purchase a new or used master cylinder in order to fix my problem...probably can't just go out and find/buy a new clip to hld that rod in place huh?? LOL!

Thanks

~ Love Rocks ~
post #14 of 35 Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Kim! Wondered where you were!

I'll look for a picture, but yes, just reattach the rod & install a new clip. That should get you back up & running.

Quote:
Quote:

post #15 of 35 Old 02-02-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

sooo where do I buy a clip? I have tried loking for specific parts liek that clip, but not sure what it is exactly called? Or should I just go to NAPA or soemthing and show them the clip?

~ Love Rocks ~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in