Newbie front axle question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
WHATDIDIDO
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Newbie front axle question

Ok, got my 1989 YJ running good, mechanically satisfied. Fixed the rust spots, now trying ensure the drivetrain is up to par before hitting the trails.

I am confused about the front axle, do I have a Dana 30? If I do is this a posi-lock axle? When I approach a hill at an angle only one front wheel spins. I read on the tips post about a cable you can add to bypass the vacuum system. Does this modification give you positraction if the vacuum system fails?

How do I know if the vacuum system is working properly for the 4wd?

Sorry if this subject is covered, in my search I was left confused by the reponses and thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 PM
superj

You have a Dana 30, yes. Stock unit.
The posi lock deal gets rid of the vacuum control and you have a handle or knob to pull which locks the front axle instead. One side turning is a normal front axle in 4x4

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM
TCrook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you add a front locker only 1 wheel will spin. Stock, only 1 front and 1 rear will spin in 4WD.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
WHATDIDIDO
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks for the reply, for some reason I was being led to believe the vacuum activates a posi-lock. But it sounds more like limited slip. Would you say my 4x4 is working properly then? And is it recomended to add the cable verses leaving it alone?
post #5 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM
superj

If it works now, leave the vacuum system. Your system sounds fine though. I still have the vacuum system on my 87 and it works find for me

post #6 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM
coolin4u

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Adding a ''lunchbox'' locker such as a Aussie or Spartan will give you a HUGE increase in offroad capability for a really reasonable price if you are on a budget.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM
TCrook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The cable just replaces the vacuum. It is a good mod to do, it won't make your other wheel spin though. If you have a front tire with power in 4WD your vacuum is fine.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
WHATDIDIDO
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolin4u View Post
Adding a ''lunchbox'' locker such as a Aussie or Spartan will give you a HUGE increase in offroad capability for a really reasonable price if you are on a budget.
I am going to look I to these, thanks for the advice. My brother has a TJ and he's been doggin me, so I need an advantage off road when we go wheel. Lol
post #9 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 PM
superj

You a or day have one, your in a real jeep, ha ha ha.

post #10 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What may help you more is articulation rather than spending money on equipment. Your trackbars and antisway bar keep your suspension from moving off road so get rid of them. The first time I went out wheeling, I had them on and got stuck and was quite embarrassed of the ease my brother in law had ascended the trail in his stupid Ford Ranger.

Try something free before you spend some money. Even the playing field before you leave him in the dust.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #11 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
WHATDIDIDO
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
What may help you more is articulation rather than spending money on equipment. Your trackbars and antisway bar keep your suspension from moving off road so get rid of them. The first time I went out wheeling, I had them on and got stuck and was quite embarrassed of the ease my brother in law had ascended the trail in his stupid Ford Ranger.

Try something free before you spend some money. Even the playing field before you leave him in the dust.
Definately agree with this logic, I have less than 1/2 $ the investment so far that my "competition" has in their TJ. He may be able to run 75 on the interstate, but that's not why I have a Jeep. It's fun competition to dig at each other, but the bottom line is, I love my YJ and wouldn't trade even up.

My main goal for my first outing in it, make sure all is working properly, then find the weaknesses and make improvements. I can see this could get out of hand real quick when it comes to finances.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Ditch Track Bars first and try that, the difference was night and day for me. Swaybar is optional, I always recommend it for road driving..

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #13 of 20 Old 08-17-2013, 02:38 PM
coolin4u

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post

This is definitely true also,last time out i had a little trouble in a spot i never had before and was wondering "what the h###'' ,come to find out i had forgotten to disconnect my swaybar when i aired down LOL. Ditching the trac-bars was the first thing i did to my yj.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 PM
90YJinPC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATDIDIDO View Post
Definately agree with this logic, I have less than 1/2 $ the investment so far that my "competition" has in their TJ. He may be able to run 75 on the interstate, but that's not why I have a Jeep. It's fun competition to dig at each other, but the bottom line is, I love my YJ and wouldn't trade even up.

My main goal for my first outing in it, make sure all is working properly, then find the weaknesses and make improvements. I can see this could get out of hand real quick when it comes to finances.
every time I hit the trail, it seems like I find the weakness in mine.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-18-2013, 01:05 AM
jtv135
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am pretty new to doing mods to my 87 YJ. What will removing the trackbars and antisway bar help with?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in