1Likes
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-01-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
blide

2004 WJ 

Garage
New YJ Maintenance

Hey guys. Just bought a YJ and I'm really excited to get it fixed up and on the road. Its a '93, 4.0, 5 speed with a Superlift 3.5" lift and Mickey Thompson wheels with 31" tires. It has 155K miles and no rust issues. Everything works and I was able to drive it 100 miles to get it home. Plus, it was only $2500. Attached is a photo of it as it sits right now. Trying to go through it to make sure I get everything taken care of that need attention. Then, it needs a wash... BAD.

There are a few issues however. First, it didn't come with a top. I've ordered a Rampage Trail soft top to go on it. Seemed like the best option for now. This is my first Wrangler and I'm not sure how I'll use it or what kind of top I'd like. So for the price, $433 with a $200 rebate from Quadratec, it seemed like a good starting point.

Second, there's a ruptured brake hard line. Luckily, this happened in my garage and not on the drive home. I've ordered new stainless steel brake lines. I considered making my own but the prebent ones seemed to be the quickest way to get it up and running and they were less than $100 for all of them. The rubber lines also look original so I went ahead and ordered SS replacements for these as well.

Finally, the clutch is soft. There's a lot of dead pedal travel at the beginning and the engagement is about a 1/2" off the floor. It feels like there is air in the lines. My son and I are going to try to bleed the lines before looking to replace anything. The previous owner put in a new master cylinder not long ago but the Jeep just sat in his garage for the last year. I've read that bleeding the clutch can be challenging but I'm hoping that is all that is wrong.

I'm also about to get a bunch of maintenance stuff since I don't know when the last time anything was done. Below is a list. Please let me know if I missed anything. Thanks.

Engine oil and filter
Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor
Radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump and gaskets
Serpentine belt and idler pulley
Rear brake kit with drums, shoes, springs and wheel cylinders (rear brakes don't look great)
75w-90 gear oil for both diffs
Gear oil for the transmission (I'm planning on using Redline 75w-90 since I can't believe they want you to use 10w30 engine oil)
ATF+4 for the transfer case

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200401_125012.jpg  

'93 YJ, 4.0L, 5 Speed, 3.5" lift, 31" tires
SOLD '04 Limited, V8, QuadraDrive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-01-2020, 09:23 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That is one good looking Jeep. I’m a fan of the blue! As far as using gear oil in the trans I would recommend using what is required and that is the 10w30. I know it sounds off but it actually does very well.

Pre-bent brake lines are okay. Just be cautious they might not line up perfectly.

The rampage top is pretty good from what I hear. Just be sure it’s warm when you stretch it on.

Sounds like a solid plan. Look forward to seeing the progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blide View Post
Finally, the clutch is soft. There's a lot of dead pedal travel at the beginning and the engagement is about a 1/2" off the floor. It feels like there is air in the lines. My son and I are going to try to bleed the lines before looking to replace anything. The previous owner put in a new master cylinder not long ago but the Jeep just sat in his garage for the last year. I've read that bleeding the clutch can be challenging but I'm hoping that is all that is wrong.

Gear oil for the transmission (I'm planning on using Redline 75w-90 since I can't believe they want you to use 10w30 engine oil)
Hello.

First off, clutch sounds normal. I've driven several YJs and they all have been like this. There was literally one time when I used my clutch and it felt 'normal', and that went away after the third shift.

Second, several people here use engine oil in the transmission. I personally don't and don't recommend it, because engine oil is not gear oil, and the transmission is full of gears, not pistons. However, you need to be careful to use a GL-3 or numerically lower gear lube. Most modern gear lubes are GL-4 or numerically higher, and they will eat the synchros. Pennzoil Synchromesh, Redline MT-60? and Royal Purple something-or-other are all good choices.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-02-2020, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
blide

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
That is one good looking Jeep. Iím a fan of the blue! As far as using gear oil in the trans I would recommend using what is required and that is the 10w30. I know it sounds off but it actually does very well.

Pre-bent brake lines are okay. Just be cautious they might not line up perfectly.

The rampage top is pretty good from what I hear. Just be sure itís warm when you stretch it on.

Sounds like a solid plan. Look forward to seeing the progress.
Thanks for the feedback. It's in really good shape for its age. The paint still looks pretty good. While I wait for parts, I'm going to work on getting it cleaned up.

post #5 of 10 Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
blide

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Hello.

First off, clutch sounds normal. I've driven several YJs and they all have been like this. There was literally one time when I used my clutch and it felt 'normal', and that went away after the third shift.

Second, several people here use engine oil in the transmission. I personally don't and don't recommend it, because engine oil is not gear oil, and the transmission is full of gears, not pistons. However, you need to be careful to use a GL-3 or numerically lower gear lube. Most modern gear lubes are GL-4 or numerically higher, and they will eat the synchros. Pennzoil Synchromesh, Redline MT-60? and Royal Purple something-or-other are all good choices.
Interesting, it never dawned on me that the clutch may just be how its supposed to be. We'll bleed it just be sure that all of the air is out of the lines. I didn't really have any issues changing gears on the way home so maybe it is what it is.

The Redline MT90 is a GL-4 formula that is specifically designed with low sulfur and it says it won't harm brass in the transmission. After reading a lot of the threads on here about it, I'm going to try it and see how it does. I've used the Redline stuff in all of my cars for quite a while and have had great success. This includes using it in my early WRXs which also have brass synchros. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Bobby

post #6 of 10 Old 04-02-2020, 05:04 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Everyone has you on the right direction.

I'll recommend the rampage frameless top if you want to keep cost low. I own one, I love it.

As cpia84 pointed out, make sure you're in the sun and balmy out everytime you stretch it on. If you do that, it's a GREAT top for the price point.
Awesome likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 10 Old 04-02-2020, 08:15 AM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

I'll recommend the rampage frameless top if you want to keep cost low. I own one, I love it.

As cpia84 pointed out, make sure you're in the sun and balmy out everytime you stretch it on. If you do that, it's a GREAT top for the price point.
And don't wait to long into the winter to put it back on either. I learned that lesson the hard way and it took forever to get the side windows in because the snow and cold had drawn the fabric up.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-02-2020, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
blide

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

Yeah, the price point was a major selling point for me. Since this is my first Wrangler, I have no idea what my preferences are. The top is supposed to be here today and tomorrow is going to be sunny and mid 70s. I put the wheels back on last night and got it back on the ground. Going to give it a bath in the morning and hopefully get the top on tomorrow afternoon.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-02-2020, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
blide

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiedave View Post
And don't wait to long into the winter to put it back on either. I learned that lesson the hard way and it took forever to get the side windows in because the snow and cold had drawn the fabric up.
That's a great point. I'll make sure to have it wrapped back up before the cool weather gets here in the fall.

post #10 of 10 Old 04-22-2020, 09:07 AM
Amwga07

If you have an external slave cylinder, which I believe you should, and think you may want to bleed your clutch slave cylinder you can do it by: (1) taking the cap off your clutch master slave cylinder reservoir, (2) remove the slave cylinder from the bell housing, (3) invert slave cylinder so the rod is facing the ground and pump the rod. Do a few pumps and give it a drive and see if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in