• 1 Post By SevenSlotAddict
  • 1 Post By SevenSlotAddict

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-10-2021, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Red88

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
New switches for some more lights

Picked up this rocker switch panel and a relay block for some up coming light bars

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210510_185716352_1620698373971.jpg   IMG_20210510_185706693_1620698393161.jpg   IMG_20210505_194055575_1620698417298.jpg  
Wyo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-10-2021, 09:48 PM
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hell yeah! Those are sweet! Where and how much? Linky?
Wyo likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-11-2021, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Red88

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The relay box was $20 and the switch set was $42. Both from Amazon. Can't figure out how to link them. The relay box doesn't come with relays or any wires.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-11-2021, 09:37 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Those relay boxes really do work out well.
Attached Thumbnails
20200105_145919_1620746844186.jpg   20200129_211129_1620747419663.jpg  

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 PM
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Wow Bruin, that battery top is what I am trying to avoid in asking about a separate junction box in another thread. The relay box(s) also will clean up a bunch of future wiring.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-11-2021, 09:58 PM
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red88 View Post
The relay box was $20 and the switch set was $42. Both from Amazon. Can't figure out how to link them. The relay box doesn't come with relays or any wires.

Are there bus's (right term?) for the relays to snap into and you have to install a wire from there to the accessory or is it just a plastic box with relay prong cut outs?

Posting a link is easy. Copy the website address from your browser by hilighting the address, either by left click, hold and scroll across all text or just a left click in Firefox, maybe the same with others. Place cursor on the hilighted address, right click, Copy. Go to the Reply box and look for the little globe and paper clip looking icon, click and after the new box pops up, after the address line is clear of any text, right click, paste.

If your using your phone, I have no clue, lol.
Wyo likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-12-2021, 06:48 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSlotAddict View Post
Quote:
Wow Bruin, that battery top is what I am trying to avoid in asking about a separate junction box in another thread. The relay box(s) also will clean up a bunch of future wiring.
I couldnt find a newer photo...

It is much cleaner now aside from the negative terminal. And will be going dual battery shortly.

I also dont have ANY grounding issues because of all those 1/0 ground paths. Added 4.

My current setup at the positive terminal only has the 1/0 from the 150 amp fuse from the upgraded alternator and the positive lead to the winch as well as to starter.

For high draw and the necessary items:
Winch
Starter
Alternator (feed)

And ALL the grounds on our notoriously terrible rigs for grounding issues.

I have no issue keeping direct paths from battery leads.

As you can see, I have a LOT of auxiliary wiring. Neatly tied into auxiliary fuse panels and that relay box is almost full (1 slot left).

All things considered, my setup is pretty neat because it's all labelled and clean and done up properly.

Everything is protected.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-12-2021, 06:52 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSlotAddict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red88 View Post

Are there bus's (right term?) for the relays to snap into and you have to install a wire from there to the accessory or is it just a plastic box with relay prong cut outs?

Posting a link is easy. Copy the website address from your browser by hilighting the address, either by left click, hold and scroll across all text or just a left click in Firefox, maybe the same with others. Place cursor on the hilighted address, right click, Copy. Go to the Reply box and look for the little globe and paper clip looking icon, click and after the new box pops up, after the address line is clear of any text, right click, paste.

If your using your phone, I have no clue, lol.
Depending what you spend.

Many of them have all your allotted cut outs and fuse inputs cut out... come with all the connectors for you to make the wire runs yourself.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-12-2021, 11:48 PM
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I couldnt find a newer photo...

It is much cleaner now aside from the negative terminal. And will be going dual battery shortly.

I also dont have ANY grounding issues because of all those 1/0 ground paths. Added 4.

My current setup at the positive terminal only has the 1/0 from the 150 amp fuse from the upgraded alternator and the positive lead to the winch as well as to starter.

For high draw and the necessary items:
Winch
Starter
Alternator (feed)

And ALL the grounds on our notoriously terrible rigs for grounding issues.

I have no issue keeping direct paths from battery leads.

As you can see, I have a LOT of auxiliary wiring. Neatly tied into auxiliary fuse panels and that relay box is almost full (1 slot left).

All things considered, my setup is pretty neat because it's all labelled and clean and done up properly.

Everything is protected.

Definitely looks better and its something I want to try to do something similar. New relay/fuse/distribution power block and sme new grounds like you have done. My YJ lived at the beach for a while so dirty grounds are inevitable til I get to each and every one with a wire brush and dielectric grease. Some large gauge additions are a good thing for sure. I am presently working on a UPS distribution center and have access to many different size and colors of wire. From dinged up welding cables I can get good chunks from to 20-24 gauge low voltage braided wiring. I keep my yes open for cut off pieces and have made good friends with the electricians, lol. My weatherproof connector kit and heat shrink tubing came in today so I will be doing a lot of electrical rewiring starting with the dash, gauges in particular. My warning light panel will take a bunch of diagnosis since I know now the PCB and bulbs are all good. The problem lies with the sending units or wiring between the lights and sensors. Electrical isnt hard, just tedious as hell. I am not really looking forward to it but something that has to be done.

Thanks for your input and pics. It gives me some good ideas.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2021, 10:53 AM
tencent
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That relay box looks basically identical to this one which does come with all the relays and wiring for a really good deal at that. You have to "finish" the wiring yourself but for that cost, that's trivial. I also grabbed some bus bars which simplify some of the wiring and keep things simple.

I can't post links yet but search amazon for:
Quote:
12V Auto Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Block Kit [6 Bosch Style Relay Holder] [6 ATC/ATO Fuse Holder] [Relays & Fuses Included] Universal Relay Block Box for 12V Automotive Vehicles Cars Marine Boat Jeep
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210311_202400933.jpg   PXL_20210311_231807521.jpg   PXL_20210312_005407845.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in