1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boojo35

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
New seat upholstery DIY.

I will be picking up a new to me 87 YJ this weekend thanks to @Chrisnvegas . It has some very unique upholstery which I would like to keep original but yet is missing the passenger front seat. This may be a long waiting game to find another seat that is correct or somehow come by some NOS replacement fabric that is factory. I will put the factory seats aside and okay the waiting game.

The next best thing. My 94 project has the correct style of seats, just the wrong upholstery and it has seen its better days. Fortunately for me the wife has a JUKI quilting machine that will do leather and stuff. She is an amazing seamstress. I have recovered a lot of seats in my career with factory replacement covers. I have also done the upholstery in a restoration before as in making my own covers. It makes a nice project for us to do together.

I took apart the worst seat which was the drivers. I need to do some foam repair and will most likely add a 1" memory foam over the top to make them more comfy. I did not get pics or a video of how to remove these factory coverings but will do it when I do the passenger side seat. The way the seat back is done is unique to any seat covering I have ever removed, it had me stumped for a second and then the penny dropped. Very ingenious design. Very simple to remove.

in the end I will have a factory type upholstery job on a Jeep that is worthy of nothing other than being as close to original as possible. I really never found a source for such a thing and probably am not willing to pay for it given my wife and mines collective skills.

I chose Naugahyde for fabric. It is a vinyl material used in yachts and high end boats. I also purchased UV and moisture resistant thread which is also used in the boating industry. The fabric looks and feels like real leather and although this Jeep is special and wont be driven much, this fabric is a leather type material that should be very durable and capable of handling moisture and UV rays. Stuff that Jeeps are susceptible too.

I hope that this thread inspires somebody to keep their original seats around and provides the know how to do so.

Maybe I can provide some factory type replacement covers in the future for those interested on having something as close to original as possible. 20190516_145934.jpg

20190516_145948.jpg

20190516_150011.jpg

20190516_150043.jpg

I will post more pics as the project continues.

Attached Thumbnails
20190515_164714 (1).jpg  
Awesome likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 01:30 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My factory seats are still sitting on the shop floor. I might restore them once the kids get too big to fit on the bench seat.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in