• 1 Post By BIGJoe29
  • 1 Post By fishadventure
  • 1 Post By BIGJoe29

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-13-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

New Member/Possible Electrical Problem 90 2.5L

Howdy everyone, I had an account on here 5-6 years ago and failure to access resulted in a new account. I am the second owner of this 1990 YJ 2.5L, got it with 89XXX miles and it now has 144XXX miles. It is no longer my DD, so I have the ability to now work on it more extensively. This thing has a Rugged Ridge SYE kit/XJ front driveshaft, 2.5in rough country springs and has gotten a new alternator, battery, starter, fuel pump, brakes and tires within the last 2 years.

It hadn't been driven from Nov2017 to Aug2018, in August I drove it just once around my block. It barely turned over that time and now won't fully turn over even when hooked up to jumper cables. Half the time I turn the key none of the electrical componentry will fire up. Most of the new parts listed above were replaced in pursuit of the problem, the new starter seemed to help for a month but I am now worse off than before. Sorry for the long read, feels good to back on here, massive thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 PM
Jeepsr4me

Check grounds and the main power cable for corrosion. That is the #1 issue with power.
bharris68 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-14-2019, 04:44 AM
CESWAMPY
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Was it a rebuilt starter?

post #4 of 13 Old 02-14-2019, 11:51 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Check grounds and the main power cable for corrosion. That is the #1 issue with power.
This

Replacing the cables: if you have a local place that sells welding cable and copper lugs it will cost like $20 to be better than oem.

The ground (-)neg is hypercritical too. Running a couple extra neg(-) cables from the dipstick location to a clean, shiny firewall stud, and another to alternator frame is a benefit, too.

My money is on bad cabling.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #5 of 13 Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb95 View Post
Howdy everyone, I had an account on here 5-6 years ago and failure to access resulted in a new account. I am the second owner of this 1990 YJ 2.5L, got it with 89XXX miles and it now has 144XXX miles. It is no longer my DD, so I have the ability to now work on it more extensively. This thing has a Rugged Ridge SYE kit/XJ front driveshaft, 2.5in rough country springs and has gotten a new alternator, battery, starter, fuel pump, brakes and tires within the last 2 years.

It hadn't been driven from Nov2017 to Aug2018, in August I drove it just once around my block. It barely turned over that time and now won't fully turn over even when hooked up to jumper cables. Half the time I turn the key none of the electrical componentry will fire up. Most of the new parts listed above were replaced in pursuit of the problem, the new starter seemed to help for a month but I am now worse off than before. Sorry for the long read, feels good to back on here, massive thanks for any help.

A while back, the site got hacked. So they made everyone change their password. I know that a lot of members couldn't get back on because the email they had on file wasn't any good anymore. If you really want your old name back, you can ask for help from a mod or admin. If you remember what your old email was that will help.

I have a '90 FSM with an electrical manual attached. Send me a PM, and I'll reply with a link.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #6 of 13 Old 02-16-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
This will be my first step, I clean anything I can get my hands on, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESWAMPY View Post
Was it a rebuilt starter?
I am under the impression it is, it's from Autozone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
This

Replacing the cables: if you have a local place that sells welding cable and copper lugs it will cost like $20 to be better than oem.

The ground (-)neg is hypercritical too. Running a couple extra neg(-) cables from the dipstick location to a clean, shiny firewall stud, and another to alternator frame is a benefit, too.

My money is on bad cabling.
Never thought about either of those, if it comes to replacement(and I think it will) I will go that direction. Thanks!
post #7 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 03:12 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You did not drive the vehicle for almost a year as I understand. How did you store the battery or did you keep it maintained?

A battery that is very dead can take many hours to really begin to accept a charge. A low battery that has been frozen is almost certainly junk..... like 99.9% of the time. Car batteries do not like to be cycled below about 50% and cannot do it many times. You may just have a bad battery.

Do you have a voltmeter?

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJoe29 View Post
Howdy everyone, I had an account on here 5-6 years ago and failure to access resulted in a new account.

I see you got your old name back. Congrats

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #9 of 13 Old 02-24-2019, 05:05 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
...(Car) {starting} batteries do not like to be cycled below about 50% and cannot do it many times?
This is correct.

To elaborate on boojo: 50% discharged doesn’t mean 6V- from a practical engineering perspective, 10V is /past/ 100% discharged, setting at 10V for a period of time creates chemical conditions inside the case that usually spell final death to a starting battery. Once a battery won’t hold a charge they don’t seem to make anywhere near the amps they’re supposed to and they’re essentially useless.

Nevertheless I have attempted to ‘restore’ some bad batteries for a time with a smart charger and then running them. Works rarely but I’m cheap and I try anyway lol

Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 13 Old 03-16-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey everyone, finally got access to my account for good. I cleaned both sides of the power cables and every ground I could find. Along with a new battery, she started right up and I drove her around my neighborhood and filled up the tank! Thanks a ton you guys
bharris68 likes this.

2.5L w/ AX-5, NP231J w/ Rugged Ridge SYE and XJ front driveshaft, open D30 and D35 w/ 4.10 ratio, stock JK 18in wheels w/ Spydertrax 1.25in spacers and 32in toyo at, 2.5in RC lift with .5in shackles(BESRK), rear TJ flares. 8.8 rebuild soon
post #11 of 13 Old 03-16-2019, 01:18 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That’s awesome that you followed up.

Share some adventures!
bharris68 likes this.

Cranking IS turning over
post #12 of 13 Old 03-19-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I got her running a few days ago(my most recent post). I drove her around my neighborhood again today for about 15-20 for the heck of it, then did some minor work on it before it got dark. Changed some hoses and the air filter, nothing that would affect the electrical system.

Went to start her up tonight and the electrical cut out .25 seconds after turning the key(same problem as before). I know there is corrosion on the main power cable, tomorrow I will be going to a local weld shop to acquire materials for some new power cables and extra grounds.

2.5L w/ AX-5, NP231J w/ Rugged Ridge SYE and XJ front driveshaft, open D30 and D35 w/ 4.10 ratio, stock JK 18in wheels w/ Spydertrax 1.25in spacers and 32in toyo at, 2.5in RC lift with .5in shackles(BESRK), rear TJ flares. 8.8 rebuild soon
post #13 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up throwing in some new power cables and no more power cutting out! It's been smooth sailing, besides the other things I have to do to it lol. Thinking I need to start a build thread....
bharris68 likes this.

Tags
1990 , 2.5 , electrical , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in