New Member - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
timothy_nd28

Garage

My brother in law gave my son his 94 YJ for his first car. I'm looking for a better tub to transplant, but can't send PMs to any classified ad till I hit 10 posts!

So, I recently separated the tub from the frame, and removed the rear suspension. We are currently cleaning the frame rails and will be welding in frame repair sections in within the next few days. I have noticed that many of the body mount brackets attached to the frame have big oval holes instead of circular holes. Is this normal? I have access to a waterjet, I could tack in some precut plates that would sister these mounts on the frame?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-21-2020, 10:13 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

unsure of anyone else, a lot of irregularities on these beasts

My body mount locations are round and i am fairly certain they are supposed to be.

Welcome to the forum

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 22 Old 03-21-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
timothy_nd28

Garage
Thanks, I will post some pictures tomorrow on what they look like. Also, another question, I have been reading about people removing their traction bar. Maybe this has been asked many times before, but is this a safe mod for a teenage driver?

post #4 of 22 Old 03-21-2020, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
timothy_nd28

Garage
Nevermind the question about the traction bar. I just found a 1400 post mother of mother thread that talks all about it!
post #5 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 06:26 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy_nd28 View Post
Nevermind the question about the traction bar. I just found a 1400 post mother of mother thread that talks all about it!
Hahahah. I was going to direct you there. RIP that sucker out and enjoy the benefits.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 11:09 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. The body mount holes should be round.

Before we get too far down the rabbit hole on posts, fill out your profile, there are a lot of variants out there between different engines, transmissions etc... Sucks to be given wrong advice because we "assume" we know what you're working with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
timothy_nd28

Garage
I will work on updating my info. Attached are a few pictures that I put a red circle showing the frame mounts not being circular.
Attached Thumbnails
8AAF5F29-2968-4180-8B65-4F7FDB786FAC.jpg   359A6F02-D4BE-4430-AED8-4DD24E6653F6.jpg  
post #8 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 06:53 PM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!
post #9 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 07:42 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ that $]-[it ain't right.

your idea of plates welded atop will work. They also do sell beefy complete brackets you could burn into the frame after chopping those off.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #10 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
timothy_nd28

Garage
Welding in some plates are no problem, but will still need a better shape YJ tub for this project. If I were to buy new brackets and essentially start over, could I use a TJ tub? They seem to be more plentiful on the market. The few YJ tubs that I've been finding are in poor shape, atleast in my area.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 08:23 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very different animal.

Anything CAN be done - but i dont get the sense that is exactly what you're asking.

It's going to be a very involved project to make that work, definitely a project for the sake of having a project. Nothing more then to say, "Aha! I did it! See!". Doesn't sound like you have that kinda time on your hands to dedicate to a project like that for simply your son's first vehicle.

What exactly is wrong with the tub that came with this jeep? Is it rotted through EVERYWHERE? ANything can be patched up, banged out, straightened in, sanded, painted etc etc

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #12 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 08:25 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

...just a thought have you looked into Fibreglass tub replacements? or even metal replacements?

From what i have read they definitely have their own issues - but if you're dealing with swiss cheese - perhaps a block of marble cheddar would at least be a solid starting point?

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 08:37 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lot of added stress with that 3" body lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
timothy_nd28

Garage
You are spot on, I'd like to button this up and focus my attention on the car parked next to it (Porsche 914). When accepting the YJ, I had the mentality that everything could be fixed. The A and B pillars are rusted out, enough so that the doors wouldn't open or close. In addition to that, the floor pans are gone along with both torque boxes. When we pulled the tub off the frame, it started to burrito in the middle.

It's my sons car and it does have some sentimental value, but I just don't have the time to bring the original tub back to safe working condition. It will be quicker finding a replacement tub. If I can't find one at a reasonable price, then I think you are right in exploring in buying a new tub
post #15 of 22 Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 PM
kd7oir

1977 CJ5 

Welcome aboard. I suspect part of the body damage and wore out frame mounts is from the body lift. Not sure where you are but there's a guy in AZ I believe that has a Jeep salvage yard and ships all over the country. I'd try some of your neighboring states. Might find one worth the trip. Be patient. They're out there. It took me over a year to find my Jeep. Has some rust but everything around here look like they should be in a scrap yard. Most of the replacement bodies are "less than desirable" in fit, quality and cost. You should be able to find a reasonable used replacement even if you have to travel less than new.
Good luck
Shawn

Shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in