New member, 1st Jeep, first post - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
44racer

New member, 1st Jeep, first post

I picked up a 94 YJ the other day and I’m starting my build. I have a few things ordered already, tires and wheels, 4” lift kit. So far to make it run well I’ve installed cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Alternator and thermostat. Rear brakes, hardware kit and wheel cylinders tomorrow.

I’d appreciate opinions on manufacturers and items I have yet to purchase.
Does EAG make a decent body armor product? They’re all over Amazon and cheap compared to others.
Who makes a quality roll bar cover with good fabric, good zippers and a reasonable amount of padding?
I’ll have many other questions but I’ll keep it a two for tonight. I hear piston slap so I’ll be rebuilding this little 4 cyl or upgrading to a 6 down the road.
Tia!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM
RubenZ

Welcome.

2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-06-2019, 01:39 AM
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wow no one replied, most people say upgrading for a 4 cyl to a 6 cly is not worth the work and is better to sell and buy a 6cyl. It's hard to find quality parts for cheap. When I drove my YJ 4 banger I was running 33's but had regeared to 4:88's it was fun just not fast.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00406.jpg   IMG_2351.jpg  

I can quit drinking anytime I want, but hey I'm no quitter :)

White Jeep Club #224

post #4 of 21 Old 11-06-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
44racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
Wow no one replied, most people say upgrading for a 4 cyl to a 6 cly is not worth the work and is better to sell and buy a 6cyl. It's hard to find quality parts for cheap. When I drove my YJ 4 banger I was running 33's but had regeared to 4:88's it was fun just not fast.
My research is that I would need a carbureted 6 cyl for the swap. I’ll stick with the 4 banger and most likely throw it on a stand this winter and rebuild it. Maybe I can squeeze a little more power out of a fresh build. 488’s are definitely in my plans, trying to figure out if I want to upgrade to Dana 44’s first though.

All this from a new guy that hasn’t done much more than rude a couple dirt roads lol!!🙄
post #5 of 21 Old 11-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to the appropriate YJ forum for you, you'll get more views from the Wrangler YJ experts here.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Jmkaiser

Welcome aboard! I got a 95 YJ this year with the 2.5, like someone already said not a fast engine but it runs strong and a blast to drive with the manual trans! Lots of options out there for building some better than others. I looked into doing a swap from the 2.5 i4 to the 4.0 I6. Having a shop do the work cause I just don’t have the time I was quoted around 5-6k to swap in the I6 so for now the stout lil 2.5 is gonna stay put. Any questions ask away!
post #7 of 21 Old 11-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Kick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Never heard of the company you mentioned but A to Z Fabrication makes some nice stuff for the money. Bestop used to make roll bar covers and were probably an oem supplier. Keep searching and reading reviews. Enjoy your Jeep.

95 yj 4 lungs 3.5 bds more shackles ox locked 32" BFG AT KO patriot 9500 sye
08 unlimited rubicon 1"3/4 daystar lift
post #8 of 21 Old 11-16-2019, 06:52 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome!

Maybe a little history of your Jeep or non Jeep experience and what you plans are for wheeling it. IE, rock crawl, forest roads, mud, etc.
I'll go ahead and say right now... DO NOT cheese on a set of springs or shocks. Decide now if you're staying SUA. SUA is cheaper... but SOA is better but costs more to do.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 21 Old 11-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had two previous AMC I-6's with the "diesel noise" which is piston slap, or what ever.
Drove the wheels off both of them. Never got worse, never got better.

Use a stethoscope. Really try to figure out what it is. Is the (fully warmed up) oil pressure ok?
Does the sound go away warm? Get worse?

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to tear into it if it's the VERY common AMC noise. Not a rod knock, not lifter noise, just a bit of wristpin noise at idle. I doubt I'd even worry about it.
Turn up the radio.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #10 of 21 Old 11-17-2019, 08:16 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44racer View Post
Quote:
most people say upgrading for a 4 cyl to a 6 cly is not worth the work and is better to sell and buy a 6cyl..
I’m not most people.
Most people haven’t done it.

It’s not that hard - and I’ve done it.

It was definitely worth the work.

My six cylinder upgrade is SO worth having. I love it.

Totally wrong to say 2.5>4.0 swap isn’t worth the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44racer View Post
My research is that I would need a carbureted 6 cyl for the swap.
You need a ‘91-‘95 YJ donor. That way you get the computer and the two additional fuel injector ends - or just the whole under hood harness. You’ll also need the trans, transfer case, driveshafts, etc. That leaves you with 4.10 axles - perfect for 33s

Inexpensive sources can be;
An accident total that runs
Rusted out runner
Abandoned backfield jeep
Junkyard that will let you hear it run

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 21 Old 11-18-2019, 12:06 AM
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Iím not most people.
Most people havenít done it.

Itís not that hard - and Iíve done it.

It was definitely worth the work.

My six cylinder upgrade is SO worth having. I love it.

Totally wrong to say 2.5>4.0 swap isnít worth the work.

You need a Ď91-Ď95 YJ donor. That way you get the computer and the two additional fuel injector ends - or just the whole under hood harness. Youíll also need the trans, transfer case, driveshafts, etc. That leaves you with 4.10 axles - perfect for 33s

Inexpensive sources can be;
An accident total that runs
Rusted out runner
Abandoned backfield jeep
Junkyard that will let you hear it run
I guess it depends on your ability and your time. How much does

" the computer and the two additional fuel injector ends - or just the whole under hood harness. Youíll also need the trans, transfer case, driveshafts, etc. " Cost ?

how many hours are you talking about finding and rounding all of these items ?

How many hours to do this type of swap once you get everything together ?

Now if your time worth ?

What is the price difference between a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl YJ $1,500 +/-
Is it really worth all of those hours and effort and hope that everything works like its should. Sure if you can get a doner for almost nothing and your retired with nothing to do you might save a few bucks.

I can quit drinking anytime I want, but hey I'm no quitter :)

White Jeep Club #224
post #12 of 21 Old 11-18-2019, 02:15 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
I guess it depends on your ability and your time. How much does

" the computer and the two additional fuel injector ends - or just the whole under hood harness. Youíll also need the trans, transfer case, driveshafts, etc. " Cost ?

Now if your time worth ?

What is the price difference between a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl YJ $1,500 +/-
Is it really worth all of those hours and effort and hope that everything works like its should. Sure if you can get a doner for almost nothing and your retired with nothing to do you might save a few bucks.
lol... now you have to be retired to work on jeeps. Good lord..

Ever think that the reward is just as much in the journey as in the destination?

OP: drive the jeep, enjoy it. I've not found a decent set of roll bar pad covers yet. Try ebay for a decent used factory set. As to body armor, wait on that. you probably don't need it.. unless of course it's for aesthetics and not function

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #13 of 21 Old 11-18-2019, 07:52 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
how much does " the computer and the two additional fuel injector ends - or just the whole under hood harness. You’ll also need the trans, transfer case, driveshafts, etc. " Cost ?
$250-$500, maybe $1000 if you’re willing.

I just bought a running driving but rusted out and uninspectable 2.5 jeep for $250 for a project once winter gets done.

Quote:
An hour or so
Quote:
a day ish. A weekend is realistic
Quote:
Now if your time worth ?
Quite a bit
Quote:
I don’t hope. Well, I guess I did hope it would run- and it did fire right up immediately. Once I remembered to reconnect the fuel pump ground wire from when i removed my pedal ebrake. The diagnosis if no fuel and why took about six minutes.

Sure, it took some time. I spent a few minutes here and there looking on craigslist and wherever over the course of a few years and collected everything I needed plus more. The ‘more’ I sold off. And I have a completely rust free jeep that works very very well with a whole bunch of innovative mods for offroad performance - and I don’t think I have $3000 of real money in it.

Everything isn't about money. I had a ball finding the right parts, leaning on jeepforum members and posts to learn what I needed to know. And now there really isn’t anything I can’t work on the jeep. I’m no jeep guru but I’m a fair mechanic and I’ve learned a lot of the jeep way and I loved it.

Sure I could’ve saved my money over time and bought a five or six or $7000 jeep from someplace outside of the rust belt, and then had to deal with whatever maintenance issues or broken parts or stuff that needed to be rebuilt… Then what’s the cost?

Whenever I’ve had time I’ve had no money - self-employment. When I’ve had the money, my time was way too expensive to spend on anything outside of maintenance of the vehicle. So in dollars per hour I probably didn’t do the greatest. So what? I arrived at a Destiination within my means enjoyed the heck out of myself doing it. Plus I made some great friends here on jeepforum that maybe someday I’ll meet some of them face-to-face.

You couldn’t buy what I’ve experienced since I got my first jeep on the road say six years ago. No amount of money would buy it no matter how much you had for money you couldn’t get this.

And in gaining the knowledge and experience, the incredible dollar savings in not having to pay someone for work- discretionary or maintenance wise- how do you account for that??

Not everything is about money. Have you ever experienced the pride of taking a vehicle completely apart working on welding fabricating rebuilding transmissions swapping in a different differential… And then driving it down the road and having it work perfect? Pride isn’t even the right word - the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment is incredible. Totally beyond comprehension and again something you just can’t buy.

You don’t drive a 30-year-old vehicle as a daily driver and have confidence of taking thousand mile trips without even feeling like you need to check anything to make sure that you’ll make it... when you just buy something and hope. Instead: Just get in and drive, put gas in and check the oil. Give it an eyeball once over and you’re good to go.

Not everything is about money. Everything aforesaid notwithstanding, for the time involved a 2.5 to 4.0 swap is quick, relatively pain-free, a lot of fun, and has benefits that no amount of hundred dollar bills could provide. It is still worth it without all that stuff. But the return on investment is way beyond the dollars

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #14 of 21 Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Not everything is about money. Everything aforesaid notwithstanding, for the time involved a 2.5 to 4.0 swap is quick, relatively pain-free, a lot of fun, and has benefits that no amount of hundred dollar bills could provide. It is still worth it without all that stuff. But the return on investment is way beyond the dollars
Well there you have it. End of discussion. Am I correct that the 4cyl motor mounts need cut off and 6 cyl ones welded in? Other than that is is a bolt on affair.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #15 of 21 Old 11-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Well there you have it. End of discussion. Am I correct that the 4cyl motor mounts need cut off and 6 cyl ones welded in? Other than that is is a bolt on affair.
In very plain terms, if you have the i6, trans, TC, wiring harness for engine bay from a 1993-1995 YJ (91-92 will need some pins moved), new driveshafts, new radiator shroud, i6 frame side motor mounts cut off an i6 frame or are able to modify the i4 mounts like we did, shift linkage for an AX-15 to NP-231, then yes.. the only fabrication you should have to do is cutting off the 4cylinder frame side mounts and welding on - in the proper position, the 6 cyl frame side mounts.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in