New Lift Suspension Issues - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-18-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
ChiefHof

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
New Lift Suspension Issues

I recently installed a 1.5" Superlift Super Ride suspension lift on my YJ and the springs are now biased to the driver's side of the Jeep. My first inclination was to remove the track bar, but when I loosened the nut on the driver's side of the bar I was able to free-spin the bolt which is telling me that the track bar is in a no-load condition and not the reason for the bias condition. Does anyone have any input on this that may be helpful? For back ground info, I purchased the Jeep 4 years ago from the original owner with just 28K original miles on it and has never been driven in the rain, let alone off road, and never in an accident. All bolts are torqued to 95 lbs/ft as per the maintenance manual and it seems to handle o.k. I'm of the impression that maybe I need to drive it around a bit to settle the suspension, but am out of Schlitz at this point from a troubleshooting perspective...

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3740.jpg   IMG_3742.jpg   IMG_3741.jpg   IMG_3743.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked to see if the front spring hanger mounts have developed cracks along the frame anywhere?

Is there any evidence that any of those same mounts have ever been repaired/rewelded etc?
post #3 of 18 Old 07-18-2019, 06:14 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i see your track bar is still connected, as you have pointed out

take it off. that should settle it some. You've changed the geometry of your jeep suspension now... you either need an extension bracket on that track bar... or the better and cheaper option is to throw it out. It's not needed and will make your jeep ride harsh.

Despite you pointing out that you could free spin the bolt - just take it off and drive the jeep a bit and settle the suspension.
Boojo35 likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 18 Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
from the picture it looks like the inner tubes are too long or the shoulders on the bushings too thin

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 06:08 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your shackles also look bent now so you may want to replace them. I have a brand new in the box set of stock shackles. I dont know what your back looks like but I have enought to replace the front. They are crown. THey dont have bushings anymore I used them but you have new bushings so you should be alright.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
ChiefHof

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Joe Dillard, bruinjeeper, jbolty, Siva283...thank you all for the input. Spring mounts are good to go, and I think the shackles and bolt sleeves are all o.k. and to specs. I'll look into the track bar as that's really the only component that would cause the bias and see where I end up...thanks again for having my back on this, I appreciate it...AIRPOWER!!!
post #7 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefHof View Post
Joe Dillard, bruinjeeper, jbolty, Siva283...thank you all for the input. Spring mounts are good to go, and I think the shackles and bolt sleeves are all o.k. and to specs. I'll look into the track bar as that's really the only component that would cause the bias and see where I end up...thanks again for having my back on this, I appreciate it...AIRPOWER!!!
It just looks like the shackles are leaning.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-22-2019, 06:16 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup. lose the track bar

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #9 of 18 Old 07-24-2019, 01:15 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any update here?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #10 of 18 Old 07-25-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
ChiefHof

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Afternoon bruinjeeper...I finally have a little down-time coming and will be pulling the track bar on Saturday...do you recommend pulling the rear tb as well?
post #11 of 18 Old 07-25-2019, 02:52 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefHof View Post
Afternoon bruinjeeper...I finally have a little down-time coming and will be pulling the track bar on Saturday...do you recommend pulling the rear tb as well?

Both are unnecessary
bruinjeeper likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #12 of 18 Old 07-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how much difference it would make (probably none) but your u-bolts are on all wonky as well.
bruinjeeper likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-25-2019, 09:30 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I don't know how much difference it would make (probably none) but your u-bolts are on all wonky as well.
noticed that as well... good eye

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #14 of 18 Old 07-27-2019, 07:06 PM
dwtaylorpdx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Make sure the springs are in the right direction, they have a front and a rear. also there are front and rear springs they are not all 4 identical in all sets of springs, the locator pins are about a inch forward.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-29-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
ChiefHof

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Copy all...I pulled the front track bar and the bias appears to be less. I'm getting it aligned today as the steering wheel vertical is now sitting at the 7 o'clock position. The u-bolts are seated properly... the inboard u-bolts are wider and longer than the outboards and sit on a "perch" close to the pumpkin that gives the appearance that they are misaligned when in actuality, they're good to go. Thanks again for all of the input, I appreciate it!
Awesome and bruinjeeper like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in