New to the Jeep world, thinking of buying this car.... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
MCTampa

New to the Jeep world, thinking of buying this car....

Long story short: I've got a 99 Mustang GT as my current daily driver. I love the car, but would like something a little more versatile for daily driving, while leaving the Mustang to the weekends. My dad had an '86 Wrangler and I loved it. I found the car below on Autotrader and offered $6,500 for it (owner is asking $7,500). I'm waiting to hear back from the owner as to whether she accepts my offer, but I'm also now wondering if this is a good deal at all. I have seen and driven the car and the clutch felt good, the engine seemed peppy and there are new seats as well as a new center console, new tires and both a hard and softtop. Its the 143,000 miles that worry me. I really don't have all that much experience or knowledge as to how long these cars last. If I know I'll get 5-6 good, worry-free years out of it, I'd be all for it, but I don't want a car that'll die on me. My highschool car was an '88 Celica that I got with 108,000 miles and its up to 190,000 with my dad driving it to the train station now.

So please give me your opinions on the car. Here is the link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...8000&cardist=3

1995 Wrangler Rio Grande 4x4
4cyl
5speed
143,000 miles
Hard and Soft tops
New over-sized tires
New seats/center console.
All maintenance paperwork included.
CD player
Side rails
VIN 1J4FY19P1SP275888 (if someone wants to Carfax)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Neener Neener

2006 TJ Wrangler 

$6500 sounds a little high, but not too bad. Jeep engines last for a long time, but as for lasting you 5 or 6 trouble-free years, I wouldn't think that's going to happen. If you put the average 12000-15000 miles per year, you are looking to get over 200,000 miles out of it. This is definitely possible with a Jeep, but not without possible replacement of timing chain, lifter and cam, and other minor stuff. So I guess it depends on what you mean by "trouble-free." Jeeeps always need work. ALWAYS. Not usually anything major, but small things. The value also depends on what part of the country you are in, too. That may be a good deal where you are at. I would say it's $500-$1000 too high, though. But hey, I paid too much for mine and could care less. I love it!

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Killer
My monkey likes your monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
MCTampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D24fan
$6500 sounds a little high, but not too bad. Jeep engines last for a long time, but as for lasting you 5 or 6 trouble-free years, I wouldn't think that's going to happen. If you put the average 12000-15000 miles per year, you are looking to get over 200,000 miles out of it. This is definitely possible with a Jeep, but not without possible replacement of timing chain, lifter and cam, and other minor stuff. So I guess it depends on what you mean by "trouble-free." Jeeeps always need work. ALWAYS. Not usually anything major, but small things. The value also depends on what part of the country you are in, too. That may be a good deal where you are at. I would say it's $500-$1000 too high, though. But hey, I paid too much for mine and could care less. I love it!
Well, I mean, my Mustang has needed its fair share of parts replaced. I should rephrase myself and just say that "With a little love and care, I'd like to get 5-6 years out of it." I have no problem replacing minor parts when they need arises if the car continues to perform well. I'd just like to know that 200,000 miles is not outside the relm of the possible. My family (and its rubbed off on me) is the type that buys a car and drives it until the welds wear out. I thought it was a little over-priced as well, but I have yet to find a Wrangler here (I live in Miami) that has both a soft and hardtop. From what I've seen, a hardtop will run me around $1,800 more or less, so I've factored that in.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
stilltippin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

7500 is an insane asking price, in excellent condition the blue book is only 4200. i know the blue book isnt always right, but its not that much off. those tires will rub bad- espically in the back, and arent off road- they are barley oversized. are they 30's? this person wants 7500 for a 4banger? forget him and wait for another one. in miami i would say that yj is worth 4500 topps.

Low Output Member #44
"There's a NEW Mexico?" -Mr Burns
post #5 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
MCTampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilltippin
7500 is an insane asking price, in excellent condition the blue book is only 4200. i know the blue book isnt always right, but its not that much off. those tires will rub bad- espically in the back, and arent off road- they are barley oversized. are they 30's? this person wants 7500 for a 4banger? forget him and wait for another one. in miami i would say that yj is worth 4500 topps.
yeah, i was worried about rubbing.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 02:51 PM
stilltippin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

that guy sounds like a total ******, asking so much. dont look in autotrader- find one for sale on the street. wait for a deal, take your time. i waited a year to find my perfect yj, and it ended up being just down the block from me in a neighbors garage, had been sitting for years. got it for $1600, w/ 2 tops, only 60K on a 90 yj. 4cyl 5pd.
i am not saying you need a deal that good- but wait for a quality jeep, 143k is too much in my opinion

Low Output Member #44
"There's a NEW Mexico?" -Mr Burns
post #7 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
MCTampa

ok, thanks guys, any more opinions are welcome. i wouldn't have posted if i wasn't sure. now i'm just reconsidering a few things.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM
hawaii
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Those are probably 31's with a LOT of spring sag in the rear or 32's. Both will give insane rubbing. I swear it's rubbing right now on the rear flare! My 97 TJ has over 220,000km on it right now. Still runs very strong. I will carry it well over 300,000km. Just make sure it's had proper maintenance and all that jazz. Still a very high price for a 4cyl 95. Don't spend the money if you don't think it's worth it. It's worth as much as you're willing to pay. Just keep in mind the troubles and if the previous owner did up keep.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 03:28 PM
biggreentj

thats too high, id pay about 5k for it. u could get a built yj with d44s, 36s, locked, cage SOA gears for the price you offered. go look on pirate4x4 in their classifieds, it will save you alot of time and money buying something for less and something more built.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 04:17 PM
ditchdoc

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Way too much money... and a hard top in Miami... why?

Jason
l ______
/l ,[____],
l---L –OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

CSA Jeepers Association Member #6
post #11 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 04:31 PM
brundz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well considering i paid 2700 for my 94 4 banger with 98K on it i'd say that 6500 is wayyyyyyyyyy to much for a stock jeep. if it was a 6 cylinder lifted right on brand new tires running perfect with 2 tops it might be worth 6500

94 2.5 AX5
4 1/4" Lift
33's

jeeps r sweet
post #12 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 04:42 PM
tr6
1992 YJ Wrangler 

opinion

personally i'd never buy a 4 cylinder, i'll bet it's really powerless if you kick that new AC unit on. i'll bet you need it in tampa. also a lot of miles for the money.
it has the same upper fiberglass doors as mine. i can tell from the pic they don't seal in the rear. by her left ear.
mine don't seal there either.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
MCTampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdoc
Way too much money... and a hard top in Miami... why?

lol, well, i do sometimes go to the more "exotic" and "diverse" communities of Miami, such as the area around the Orange Bowl when I go see my alma mater UM play. Id that area, I'd like to have the hard top b/c we park on people's lawns and the car remains unsupervised for 4-5 hours during a game. also, during the summer, the torrential rains i would think could really beat the crap out of a soft top. i mean, we're talking like clock-work, 4:00pm every day you'll get a monsoon of rain for 45 minutes then it dries off, but for that 45 minutes, its pretty brutal.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 PM
cueball

it is way overpriced.. also for a hardtop.. you are looking at spending around $500 (sometimes less in the summer).. and maybe $400-$500 for doors.. that is only about a thousand..

i'd wait before spending that much cash on a 4banger.

Bye to the old - 1988 6 cyl 5 speed with a 94 rollbar, tomken 2x4 rocker skids and homebrewed OBA.

Hello to the New - 1999 TJ Sport 4.0L auto.. stock for now
post #15 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 06:03 PM
BlackRio95

Another major concern is the amount of miles and how they were racked up (was the former owner(s) responsible folk who just drove it to work or was it up in the woods every weekend. My 1995 I recently purchased has 84,000 miles and i have assumed from what i've read around the internet that 180,000-200,000 is about the normal life of a 4 banger. I paid $7995 for mine but I'm also in Northcentral PA where the winters are brutal and 4wd vehicles (especially Wranglers) hold a much higher retail value then in places like Ohio where it's mild and flat. Also my Rio Grande came with brand new Terra Trac 31X10 tires, a pretty nice soundbar, Sony Xplod head unit, an aftermarker center console and it's been lifted and has aftermarket suspension upgrades. KBB high book on mine (stock) was $7100 but with all of the goodies that came with it..and the overall condition of the Jeep itself I justified paying $8k. All in all it all depends on milage, who owned it before and what extras it comes with. Definitely spend the $25 on a carfax. That's the FIRST thing i did when I considered buying mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in