1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishadventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-09-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
tropicalYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
New front driveshaft vibration

About 6 months ago I removed my front driveshaft to replace the u-joints, but I figured since I had just installed a brand new rear driveshaft I'd just upgrade to a beefier front one. I had the new shaft sitting in my shed for the past 6 months while I drove my Jeep without a front shaft. Last week, I had some free time so I decided to install the new shaft so I could get out mudding again, and to my surprise the Jeep had a slight vibration that was not there before. I double checked that the u-joints were seated properly and that the straps and u-bolts were tight. At this point I contacted the manufacturer of the driveshaft and they stated that I need a double cardan shaft in the front. The original shaft I removed was not a double cardan shaft and I did not have these vibrations with it.

Some extra info (not sure if it helps): I have a SYE installed in the rear with a double cardan shaft. I have a Spartan locker in the front.

If it's true that my front angle is off, would I be able to drop the t-case slightly even with the SYE in the rear? Really can't afford dropping $300 for a new shaft + another $60 for the output yoke on the t-case, so I'm looking for a cheaper fix. The vibration isn't that bad and I'd like to ignore it but it's definitely noticeable on a 150 mile highway drive and in stop and go traffic. I don't know much about pinion angles and things of that nature so if you could explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-10-2020, 07:43 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why is the front shaft spinning in 2wd on a YJ? That's what the CAD is for. Put it in 2wd, jack up the left front tire, and see if you can rotate the tire without the drive shaft turning. If the tire and driveshaft are locked together, your locker is causing the problem.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-2020, 10:22 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

He has a Spartan locker up front so it will cause the diff to turn.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-10-2020, 10:42 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dropping the t case drops the rear but angles the front up which makes the front driveshaft angle worse.

My money is that you accidentally pulled the slip joint out of the new aftermarket driveshaft and you put it back together to where the u joints aren't inline anymore.

If the u joints are aligned, download the clinometer app on your phone and measure the angles of your diff pinion angle and the pinion angle of the transfer case. I typically use the lower flange on the axle side and the upper flange on the t case side. Let us know how far off those angles are from each other. You're hoping for less than 4 degrees mismatch and ideally want less than 2.

post #5 of 9 Old 08-11-2020, 05:52 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
When did the locker go in? As part of that? Or it’s been there? And the same tires and wheels?

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 9 Old 08-12-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
tropicalYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
When did the locker go in? As part of that? Or its been there? And the same tires and wheels?
Same tires and wheels. The PO installed the locker several years ago. I've owned the Jeep for 3 and a half years with it in.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-12-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
tropicalYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
So I was messing around with the driveshaft and I removed it from the front yoke. When I tried to pull the u-joint back into the yoke, the shaft would not extend no matter how hard I pulled. So I went all muscle man on it and I ended up popping the front part of the shaft off. I put it back to what appears to be the same spline position it was originally in, but now I think I screwed that up. If it is off by 1 spline will it cause a vibration?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-12-2020, 01:10 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes

Waternut. Seer.
Waternut likes this.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 PM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

May need to have the front shaft balanced. I had to do that when I put my new front end on and it had a locker. It made my front shaft spin all the time and I found out it was bent slightly. I didnt know with the old front end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in