New Exhaust Recommendations - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-07-2020, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

New Exhaust Recommendations

My catalytic convert rattles around, most of my muffle clamps were rusted off and I replaced them...which to me, are a few signs that I need a new exhaust. I'm not doing anything fancy with the engine, just the normal aspirated 4.0L. I'm also not a welder. I mean, I *could* but I would say my skills are up to welding an exhaust together.

I figured there's two solutions, a crown complete OEM kit that includes everything... OR, should I purchase the following (or something else)?

(2) 2-3/4" band style exhaust clamps
(1) Front Pipe to Manifold Exhaust Pipe Gasket
(1) Walker Exhaust 44966 Tail Pipe
(1) Walker Exhaust Front Pipe
(1) Magnaflow 23221 Performance 49 state direct fit catalytic converter
(1) Flowmaster 942447 Super 44 Delta Flow Aluminium Steel Muffler

I *think* the individual part kit is a better quality, but I'm not sure if everything will piece together nicely like it would for the Crown OEM kit. In my head, I'm thinking that I won't have to cut anything and that it will get put together like a lego kit.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-07-2020, 06:43 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say like most things Jeep related, there is more than one way to get what you're after. The crown kit is probably the easiest and should be like the lego kit you're imagining.

I've bought both the front and rear sections of the walker pipes before and they fit just fine and are probably identical to the crown. I always went cheap and cut the flange off and just used a generic cat. Never had a problem.

The one thing I want to caution you on is the muffler. IMO, the jeep engine doesn't sound all that awesome with a performance muffler and it's just louder and can often drone when cruising at certain speeds. I've tried a couple different mufflers and used a magnaflow for a while back in college but always ended up going back to a cheapo stuck muffler for a nicer ride.
Azhunter1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-07-2020, 08:50 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had a Flowmaster 40 series for years and I’m with Waternut on this it had a terrible drone and 2800 rpm. Have you talked to your local exhaust shop to see what they can do for you?

post #4 of 22 Old 04-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anything with less than 8 cylinders doesn't really benefit from a nice muffler. They just sound like a fart cannon. I'm with Shaggy on talking to an exhaust shop. I've never used one, but I know people who have and they are pretty inexpensive.
Azhunter1 likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 10:25 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can tell you I hate dynomax.

The price got me in a bind this time around.

First dynomax superturbo exploded on the top side in 8 months on me. I replaced it with a Walker quiteflow OE style. Whose internals took a dump on me and rattled to $)-(it in under 12 months. I was so pissed off with that after all the good reviews.

I was short on jeep funds and bit the bullet another dynomax superturbo. This current one is a little different looking then my first one and sounds better. It is not a fully external welded encasement. Looks more like the Walker quietflo and any other standard muffler. So far, so good. But again... it was on amazon, I couldnt stand the rattling walker and power loss of my already inept 4squirrels were experiencing and it was 20% off it's already low price at the time.

I figured I went in with low expectations and for 37$ .... it will get me by. It's held on all winter, hope i can at least get to 2021 summer.

Point is I went in with low expectations and the idea I'd need to change it out shortly due to my experience. if you want this done and to last 4-5 years like a muffler should in most cases... do not go dynomax superturbo.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #6 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 10:28 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought.

If you're able to.. throw in to April YJOTM for a chance at $200 Qtec credit... could go a long way into paying for some of this exhaust overhaul.

I mean... nothing to lose and everything to gain as I see it. But what do I know, I'm just a Canadian

post #7 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 10:46 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewiz38 View Post
My catalytic convert rattles around, most of my muffle clamps were rusted off and I replaced them...which to me, are a few signs that I need a new exhaust. I'm not doing anything fancy with the engine, just the normal aspirated 4.0L. I'm also not a welder. I mean, I *could* but I would say my skills are up to welding an exhaust together.

I figured there's two solutions, a crown complete OEM kit that includes everything... OR, should I purchase the following (or something else)?

(2) 2-3/4" band style exhaust clamps
(1) Front Pipe to Manifold Exhaust Pipe Gasket
(1) Walker Exhaust 44966 Tail Pipe
(1) Walker Exhaust Front Pipe
(1) Magnaflow 23221 Performance 49 state direct fit catalytic converter
(1) Flowmaster 942447 Super 44 Delta Flow Aluminium Steel Muffler

I *think* the individual part kit is a better quality, but I'm not sure if everything will piece together nicely like it would for the Crown OEM kit. In my head, I'm thinking that I won't have to cut anything and that it will get put together like a lego kit.
How many $ does all that stuff add up to?

Around here there is a "muffler shop" on almost every corner. It isn't rocket science, and it seems every dude that can almost weld goes into the exhaust business. Check out a local guy and get a quote. I got a complete exhaust including new CA legal CAT for $400, done on a Saturday in half a day. I didn't like every little thing the guy did, but now several years later I'm still running it and happy. I didn't expect much from the CAT, and figured if I got through 2 smog checks with it I would be happy. Been through 3 now (bi-annual) and still scrubbing nice and clean.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 12:44 PM
ThomasYJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I throw my vote in with just taking it to an exhaust shop. When i had my 4.0 I had a magnaflow cat and (i think) a super 40, 2.5" from the header back for like $300, you're over that just in parts. Lots of folks liked the way it sounded.

The Toy:93 YJ
The DD:00 F250 7.3
Build:
post #9 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 12:44 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I pieced mine together using the Walker pipes via Rock Auto, I think I was in to it under $150 with the CAT and muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 12:58 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I know it has been mentioned but i do strongly encourage you to look at a muffler shop. I will be taking mine to a muffler shop soon to re-route my exhaust. I have already talked to the owner and quoted me at about $250 which is pretty good. I am getting a discount from the guy but he said he can do it in a morning or afternoon and just to call him before i bring it. It seems like the easiest option and then this way you dont have to worry about making sure you have all the right parts and then trying to piece the puzzle together. This also keeps you from having to weld up an exhaust yourself.

post #11 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 02:14 PM
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another vote muffler shop. I've done it both ways. First I pieced together the kit like you describe, Walker plus stock muffler and CAT. That lasted a few years, always had a clamp rattle somewhere, or ripping exhaust hangers from poor fitment (probably my fault). That lasted about 4 years, then I went to a muffler shop. YMMV, but I was shocked when I got everything from the downpipe back, installed, welded, for less than $300. Going on 6 years now and no rattles or torn hangers. Never again will I do an exhaust myself.

The YJ is no longer my DD. I have sacrificed all future retirement plans for jeep parts. I'm depending on social security!
post #12 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 02:36 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Before I went custom exhaust with a tj front downpipe for the tummy tuck, I bought every part from Amazon, all Walker. Everything fit, everything worked.

The Walker SS quiet flow is a lifetime warranty. I warranteed it once and amazon handled it well with Walker. Sent the old one back and Amazon(Walker) offered $50 for “labor” as well.
@bruinjeeper you should have amazoned and got the warranty. Rock aurto in my expleriencetive isn’t so handy for warranty claims.

I love the quiet flow. It’s quiet. And after the salt it looks like I’ll test their warranty again. The previous one had developed a small leak and buzz but before I could do the deed the ujoint failure took it so I just bought a fresh one.
bruinjeeper likes this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 03:10 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You may find that an exhaust shop is a hungry business right now, if you can find one staying open. I'm sure they are considered as any other auto repair an essential business. Whether they find it worth staying open, maybe.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'm going to pass on that performance muffler because I definitely don't want a buzz or annoying noise while driving.

The muffler shop is a good idea, I just don't know who to trust to do decent work. I haven't been impressed by much from services around me, and usually the places do a half decent job from somebody that doesn't care. Even if it's like $50 in labor, I would be happy to pay it, but only if the person did a good job. And then do I trust another person with my YJ? lol. And does "Meineke" pass the test, because there's one down the street from me, or do I want to try my chances at an independent shop?

Piecing it together or the crown kit would be about $350 to $400 bucks, which I would guess, is comparable to somebody installing it themselves. But do I trust the place? Like if they put a screw for a clam through my pristine frame that I spent days cleaning up and painting, are they going to rust proof the hole they made? That's my worry about having somebody else do it.

But thank you all for the advice! It gives me something to think about and maybe go a different way.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
post #15 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 05:57 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
The Walker SS quiet flow is a lifetime warranty. I warranteed it once and amazon handled it well with Walker. Sent the old one back and Amazon(Walker) offered $50 for “labor” as well.
@bruinjeeper you should have amazoned and got the warranty.
...sonuva...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in