Needed some clearance clarence - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 08-19-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Tomb Raider
Addicted...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The next evolution of my rig

After my last trail run, and wheelin' behind a certified, sponsored rock buggy....low center of gravity is a good thing. Soooo....I have decided I am going to start in another project. I'm gonna lower and stretch my rig. The first step I took this weekend. I took out my 2" body lift. I felt good about that. Not that it was ever bad, but it sure looks much better to me without it.

With body lift....

And without it. Notice the gaps in the wheel wells are gone! Woohoo!

Now....on with the plan. Since I lowered the body, yet still need the room......Next comes out the grinder!

And with some tube mocked up, you can see my plan....

Tube fenders in the front, comp cut in the rear with a 4-6" stretch. I'll keep posted with updates.

I like to build stuff. Want to know what I build, you can google it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tomb Raider; 08-20-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 08-19-2006, 11:57 PM
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

damn scott, you go!!! lolol
wish i'd known last week, would have got the body lift from you mate, stacy having tire envy and all......rofl
looking good!!!!
post #3 of 66 Old 08-20-2006, 07:07 AM
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to say "good luck Scott, we're all counting on you"...

- Ernie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 66 Old 08-20-2006, 08:41 AM
z71offroader

looking good so far! kinda gives me an idea of what my rig would look like with 37s. do u think u really need more clearance to clear them with the BL out? well cant wait to see the finished product, when do u think that will be? im gessing since ur stretching it ull be getting new driveshafts front and rear?
post #5 of 66 Old 08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
claybob

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've been thinking on the comp cut myself. What do you plan to do with the gas tank and or filler hose?

04 LJ, 4" RC Susp Lift, 35x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
post #6 of 66 Old 08-20-2006, 08:40 PM
doug_1994

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How do you plan on stretching it? Leaves or links?

Low and wide is a great combo. I just lowered my jeep six inches, lengthened it to 110" and I can't believe how stable it is now. Doug

Wise men speak because they have something to say;
Fools because they have to say something.

Plato
post #7 of 66 Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Tomb Raider
Addicted...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Welll.....today was a definite learning day. I basically scrapped the original design and went with a different design. Originally I was going to use all one piece of tube bent down and back. After looking at it, I didn't like the design because it didn't have the structural integrity that I wanted. Basically, it would have looked ok, but not performed had I hit a rock. So after several glasses of tea contemplating how to go about it I started in.....again.

The fender brace tacked....

Then the down tube....

The back brace.....

Then took it off and welded it up.....

Then back on for test fit.....

I have some 3/16" plate I am going to skin it with, just ran out of daylight. The wheelwell sheet metal will be in there still, just not shown in the last few pics. Also, with this design the tube is tied into the tub. Much more strength, and will allow me to tie in my stinger to the fenders for added "triangulation." This first one was more a learning curve than anything. The other side should take just a few hours at most. I'm the kinda guy that thinks everything through 47 times before I do it....so projects usually take a bit longer for me, but usually turn out ok, so guess I can't complain too much. Anyways, I'll update the thread as it goes along.

On a side note. All those that emailed or PM'd about the body lift and fender flares, I will put them up for sale when the project is through. Thanks for the interest.

Last edited by Tomb Raider; 08-20-2006 at 11:17 PM.
post #8 of 66 Old 08-20-2006, 10:28 PM
rbn1357

Funny thing is I thought you would do it eventually. Is the tire being exposed going to cause issues on the street? You could add a flair like Poison does.
post #9 of 66 Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Tomb Raider
Addicted...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbn1357
Funny thing is I thought you would do it eventually. Is the tire being exposed going to cause issues on the street? You could add a flair like Poison does.
I live in missouri. For the most part, if it has blinkers it's street legal....lol. I may still add a flare, but for now I like it how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71offroader
looking good so far! kinda gives me an idea of what my rig would look like with 37s. do u think u really need more clearance to clear them with the BL out? well cant wait to see the finished product, when do u think that will be? im gessing since ur stretching it ull be getting new driveshafts front and rear?
I didn't really need the clearance in the front, but I hopefully will be extending my shock mounts and will need it then. The tube fenders in the front were due to the magnetic attraction to large rocks I have found I have. My stock fenders got kinda chewwed up last outing. I definitely need the clearance in the rear. I moved the axle back an inch with the MORE spring perches, so it's pushing the limit with the rear fender. My plan is to use XJ springs in the rear, moving the axle back roughly 5 inches. I'm hoping to start in on the rear next weekend, assuming all goes well with the front. As for the driveshafts, I'll just have my current ones re-tubed longer.

Last edited by Tomb Raider; 08-20-2006 at 11:14 PM.
post #10 of 66 Old 08-20-2006, 10:52 PM
tough91yj

nice work, i look forward to see ur stretch!!
post #11 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 AM
z71offroader

im liking the fronts, cant wait to see the finished product.
post #12 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 07:58 AM
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Looking real good.
post #13 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 09:34 AM
dell2028

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks nice. Keep us posted.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
post #14 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Ares

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yet another one I envy. People like you make it so I cannot wait to get outta college and have money again to play with my jeep! Except that once I leave school I will no longer have access to a full metal casting/design and fabrication/CNC shop

Looks good, keep us posted. This is something I'm looking at doing this year at school and really want to know how it comes out for you (the fender part that is)

- Cameron

post #15 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tomb Raider
Addicted...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares
Yet another one I envy. People like you make it so I cannot wait to get outta college and have money again to play with my jeep! Except that once I leave school I will no longer have access to a full metal casting/design and fabrication/CNC shop

Looks good, keep us posted. This is something I'm looking at doing this year at school and really want to know how it comes out for you (the fender part that is)
These are the reasons I am building my own. Can't see spending $300+ for something I can make myself. People find out what they can and can't do when you don't have money to buy it. The tubing cost me $30 bucks. The other metal I had laying around. The rest is just trial and error. As in life, it can't hurt to try.

Quote:
How do you plan on stretching it? Leaves or links?
XJ leaf springs in the rear.

Quote:
I've been thinking on the comp cut myself. What do you plan to do with the gas tank and or filler hose?
BTF makes a bolt in tank that allows for up to 6" of axle stretch without interference. It is "bolt-in" and uses the stock filler. Basically just move it up and in a hair on the fender.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in