Need tires - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-06-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Need tires

Just got a 94 YJ a few weeks ago and I thought the rubber looked good. Now I have a slow leak on one of my front tires and just learned the spare wonít hold hair either. The rubber has a bunch of cracks on the surface so while they looked like they had a lot of tread, Iím guessing theyíre just old.

Iíve got 33x12.5x15 BFG ATís. I think I may stick with those but I do get a lot of rub.

1 - are these a decent tire? Never had them on any of my previous jeeps.

2 - should a pick up some wheel spacers? I get rub on tight turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1994 Wrangler YJ
1999 Wrangler TJ [R.I.P.]
2008 Wrangler X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-06-2019, 11:59 PM
vzbird

i put spacers on mine works great no rub
post #3 of 17 Old 10-07-2019, 01:10 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Awful tires. Worst tires I ever owned.
Bad in mud, bad in sand. But if you like them, it's your Jeep.

I have four things to say.

1. I prefer 33x10.50x15
Something about the 12.50 looks kinda weird on many Jeeps.

2. Adjust the steering stops on the knuckle and the rubbing will stop. Look under there and you'll see what I mean.

3. Whatever tires you choose, only do mounting and balancing at a shop that uses Hunter Road Force equipment.
Why? Because a HUGE percentage of new tires are defective right off the shelf. I'm talking about 25% or more!
How many times have we bought new tires and were pissed when there was a vibration on the freeway?
Then the shop tried to blame your vehicle. They said a wheel was bent of alignment was off. All B.S. to keep from the hassle of returning tires to their supplier.
4. Wheel spacers. Not on my Jeep. Why?
It changes the loading of the wheel bearings and ball joints. They were designed to have the weight a certain distance from the center point of the bearings. More to go wrong. If I want my wheels out farther for what ever reason, I'll buy wheels with a different offset. And I'll accept the fact that the wheel bearings, ball joints and spindles will not last as long. More stress on the lug nuts and studs. Changes to the handling, especially low speed steering.

Mounting and Balancing:
Hunter road force spins the tires at around 70 mph while putting 1500 lbs of pressure on the tire. It weeds out radial pulls, out of round, defective, bad belts ect.

It compares the force needed to turn each tire and compares them.
Nothing is perfectly round. Not tires, not wheels.
The road force puts the high side of the tire to the low side of the wheel. They cancel each others defects. It takes the heavy side of the tire to the light side of the wheel. Same thing. This makes for less weight needed.
My ultra-knobby Dick Cepek Crushers ride as perfect as a new car. ZERO vibration or shimmy up to 100 mph.

My favorite tires? Tires made by Cooper. Have never had problems with any Cooper tires.

My next Jeep tires?
Dick Cepek Fun Country or Extreme Country.
Mickey Thompson also has excellent tires.

You'll find Cooper tires on all my toys. BF Goodrich on none...
Attached Thumbnails
20191006_230815.jpg   20191006_230757.jpg  

End the Ethanol Rip-Off

post #4 of 17 Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 AM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChamberlin View Post
Just got a 94 YJ a few weeks ago and I thought the rubber looked good. Now I have a slow leak on one of my front tires and just learned the spare wonít hold hair either. The rubber has a bunch of cracks on the surface so while they looked like they had a lot of tread, Iím guessing theyíre just old.

Iíve got 33x12.5x15 BFG ATís. I think I may stick with those but I do get a lot of rub.

1 - are these a decent tire? Never had them on any of my previous jeeps.
Do you have a lift on yours? If so, what is it?

It's funny you post this because I picked a YJ up last year and did a ton of work to it. The tires seemed to be in good shape because they had a lot of tread left. About two days before going on a big trip, I checked the sidewalls and noticed tons of little cracks. Looked up the DOT date code and turns out they were 11 years old!! I ended up cancelling the trip just because of the age of the tires, as they say you should change them after 6 years, and no more than 10 years.

I have a 1" lift and was looking at 30x9.5x15 BFG KO2's. It seems like tons of people use them and like them. I was then talking to somebody who has a FJ and he loves the Duratrac's.

I also don't like the idea of adding spacers or doing anything like that; it seems like a band-aid solution to the problem.

I'm asking about your lift because I'd like to go bigger, but 31's *may* fit stock, and others say they rub. 30's will fit without problem. I just don't want to spend a grand on tires to find out that they rub.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
post #5 of 17 Old 10-07-2019, 09:41 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would love the slimmer profile of 33x10.5

Hard to find since all my tires come to me off craigslist to save some bucks on abandoned projects.

I've never actually heard a complaint about BFG's. But I suppose most reviews come from pavement drivers.

I can second Chris's propensity for Cooper. The S/T's I just took off served me very well. Great tread pattern and siping. Curious what these Duratracs do this winter

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 17 Old 10-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I love my BFG Mud Terrians everywhere but in the rain. When the ground gets a little wet its like ice skating. I have a set of 31x10.5 that I use as a back up set I would be willing to let go of. I am currently drawing a blank on the make and model I can check when I get home

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My Beef with BF Suckrich.

Bought their tires for years. Happy. Then I bought a set for my F350. Bad from day one. Eventually causing $7000 damage to my truck.
Paid over 1000 bucks for the set. On the way home, at 70 mph, a shake. I'm pissed that 1000 bucks of rubber is shaking down the road. I'll spare the three trips back to the tire shop and the one trip to the shop with road force equipment for diagnosis...

One tire was unbalanceable, out of round. The tire shop says it's common with BF tires. Going thru the pile to find 4 that are round enough to balance. Hoping the pissed customer will give up and live with it. BF would not change the tire, instead blaming my truck. (of course) another shop said the truck has no defects. No kidding, it was smooth with the old tires. New tires shake and it's my truck's fault? Get lost!

I look around the net and find my situation quite common.
Even on BF's own website, a slew of 1 star reviews.
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/all-...n-t-a-ko2.html

BF tires are ok if your're lucky enough to get a good set. I want more than luck when spending so much on tires.

Finally, the tires were inflated to spec, not dry rotted, no cracks, the tread separated on the defective tire the shop moved to the rear. It threw a belt at 75 mph and trashed the bed of my truck. The shop needed to weld on a whole new bedside.
So my expensive diesel F350 no longer has a clean carfax either. Thanks BF Goodrich.

And they are not good for the desert. According to BF Goodrich, 84 percent of all-terrain tire failures are sidewall related.

Do some reading. Choose your poison. Lots of us are pissed.
https://www.google.com/search?newwin...30.kclbREx3z0A

Cooper, Toyo, Goodyear, even Pirelli (Scorpion) have been good tires.
daddyjeep87 likes this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #8 of 17 Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Honestly surprised on the negative opinions on the BFG AT? I always thought they were a decent middle of the road tire. Maybe they have changed over the years? I have seen them really hook up on slick rock. No real experience in mud or sand.
I need a set of meats for my Ram 1500 with a higher load range and I was thinking of those. Maybe not now. But it's hard to find a higher load range AT for the 20" rims they put on my Laramie.

ANywho, I love my MRT's. Don't think ya could go wrong with a set of those. And the Cooper Discover MT is also very good. Some guys on this board run them and they are impressive.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 17 Old 10-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am happy with my Falken ATs WP3s.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #10 of 17 Old 10-07-2019, 03:20 PM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I have a set of 31x10.5 that I use as a back up set I would be willing to let go of.
Before, I wished you lived closer for the knowledge, since you've been a wealth of information over the past year. Now I wished you lived closer for the tires.
Siva283 likes this.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
post #11 of 17 Old 10-12-2019, 07:23 AM
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Need tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Awful tires. Worst tires I ever owned.

Bad in mud, bad in sand. But if you like them, it's your Jeep.

I have four things to say.

1. I prefer 33x10.50x15

Something about the 12.50 looks kinda weird on many Jeeps.

2. Adjust the steering stops on the knuckle and the rubbing will stop. Look under there and you'll see what I mean.

3. Whatever tires you choose, only do mounting and balancing at a shop that uses Hunter Road Force equipment.

Why? Because a HUGE percentage of new tires are defective right off the shelf. I'm talking about 25% or more!

How many times have we bought new tires and were pissed when there was a vibration on the freeway?

Then the shop tried to blame your vehicle. They said a wheel was bent of alignment was off. All B.S. to keep from the hassle of returning tires to their supplier.

4. Wheel spacers. Not on my Jeep. Why?

It changes the loading of the wheel bearings and ball joints. They were designed to have the weight a certain distance from the center point of the bearings. More to go wrong. If I want my wheels out farther for what ever reason, I'll buy wheels with a different offset. And I'll accept the fact that the wheel bearings, ball joints and spindles will not last as long. More stress on the lug nuts and studs. Changes to the handling, especially low speed steering.

Mounting and Balancing:

Hunter road force spins the tires at around 70 mph while putting 1500 lbs of pressure on the tire. It weeds out radial pulls, out of round, defective, bad belts ect.

It compares the force needed to turn each tire and compares them.

Nothing is perfectly round. Not tires, not wheels.

The road force puts the high side of the tire to the low side of the wheel. They cancel each others defects. It takes the heavy side of the tire to the light side of the wheel. Same thing. This makes for less weight needed.

My ultra-knobby Dick Cepek Crushers ride as perfect as a new car. ZERO vibration or shimmy up to 100 mph.

My favorite tires? Tires made by Cooper. Have never had problems with any Cooper tires.

My next Jeep tires?

Dick Cepek Fun Country or Extreme Country.

Mickey Thompson also has excellent tires.

You'll find Cooper tires on all my toys. BF Goodrich on none...

You have Crushers?!?!?! I was going with a skull theme back in the day. Bought two of them because thatís all I could afford at the time. Figured once I got the other two Iíd mount them. Just my luck they stopped making them in my size!! Wicked jealous over here!!!!

I know have Dick Cepek Extreme Country. I have no problems with them.

Chrisnvegas likes this.

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
post #12 of 17 Old 10-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewiz38 View Post
Before, I wished you lived closer for the knowledge, since you've been a wealth of information over the past year. Now I wished you lived closer for the tires.
When you're ready to move, I know a realtor.
mikewiz38 likes this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #13 of 17 Old 10-13-2019, 03:36 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Shops that own a hunter road force balancer are more likely to be professional and have well maintained equipment. Those suckers are expensive. Like $20k or more. The truth is though that they can send you on a goosehunt and that option is hardly ever used. It can be turned on and off and spends 99% of its time being turned off. They are invaluable on rubber band tires and super smooth luxury cars with very picky owners. Once again though. A small percentage of the time. There is a zillion percent chance though that there balancer is in better shape, better maintained and in better calibration even under normal balancer operations. Tire stores with massive volumes do not recalibrate there balancers often enough. JS. Also a tire that needs a lot of weight should be dismounted and remounted to the balancer. It does make a difference. They are not perfect and things can bind and cause runout and false imbalance.

BFG tires are not my favorite either. They wear into choppy patterns and then are noisy and rough. TKO2 tires can be terrible. I had two different JK's in the past week that even trying to pull out of the shop I stopped to see what the hell was going on. I never even had the tires off either of them but both vehicles exhibited a hopping up and down condition at speeds that are safe inside the aisle of our service dept. The worst wear patterns I have ever seen on tires..... period....

Some of it comes down to rotation, balance and alignment. Stuff that needs to be kept up on by the owner.

Still though. Some tires are far more prone to bad treadwear patterns and issues and these do not impress me at all.

I also feel that skinnier tires provide better traction in mud and snow and water as an example than wider tires. They dig down through it rather than float on top of it. I will take a 9:50 or 10:50 tire in most cases over a 12:50. Traction in bad stuff is not like being in a boat or on a floaty raft in your swimming pool. Buoyancy matters there. The more surface area the better. When it comes to real traction, buoyancy is often your enemy. You want your tire to sink to the hard stuff.
bruinjeeper likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just found out my tires were made in 2002! Dear Lord!!

1994 Wrangler YJ
1999 Wrangler TJ [R.I.P.]
2008 Wrangler X
post #15 of 17 Old 10-19-2019, 05:36 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChamberlin View Post
Just found out my tires were made in 2002! Dear Lord!!

Lol.

Depends on how they are kept and what environment.

I had the old style MTR's on the YJ for over TEN years and they looked like new overall. But I also kept it in the garage out of the sun and we don't get super cold winters out here.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in