Need Mech. Help!! Not Sure What I Did To It!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Hsoj

Need Mech. Help!! Not Sure What I Did To It!!

Ok here we go, I just got my jeep 2 days ago and I took it wheelin today. I went through some small spots fine, there was one really big hole that I hit 3 times, the 2nd time through my jeep started making popping sounds from the exaust. On the way home it stalled and I could not get it going. it would restart but when i let off the clutch it would backfire and cut off. I had to hae my dad tow me home with my escape :-( What could it be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 03:42 PM
YJwrangler93

You may try checking the distributer. Thats what usually throws my jeep outta wack.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 07:53 PM
NaeKid
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you play in the water, snow, mud, or dry sand and such?

I found with my Jeep, if I ran over rough enough roads at high enough speeds (some people would call it high speed off-roading) electrical parts would break connection ... and I would stall out.

Hello, my name is Vance and I am a Jeepaholic.
Its better to be naked with your friends, than to be clothed with your enemies
Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, zombie ready as the daily-driver

- - - - - - -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - - - - - -

post #4 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Hsoj

I was going through some water about 2 feet deep, maybe 3. then just mud other than that.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-27-2002, 08:46 AM
NaeKid
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the standard aversion to water syndrome that my Jeep exhibited .. moisture in the distributer really sucks the big one.

What you have to do when that happens is pull the distributer off, dry it as best as possible (rotor and cap), then smear a little bit of die-electric grease on all the connections inside the cap and on the rotor.

Pull the plug wires, make sure that they also are dry, and then goop the die-electric grease onto the connectors on the top of the cap and put the wires back on.

You should be fine till the next big run into water

Hello, my name is Vance and I am a Jeepaholic.
Its better to be naked with your friends, than to be clothed with your enemies
Silver
, zombie ready as the daily-driver

- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2002, 09:47 AM
Gator

you got water in your Distributor & got all the igntion connections wet.. since your into Mudding, take a big can of WD-40 with you next time... when you know you are going mudding, pop the hood open & spray the entire ignition system, along with the Fuse block that sits in front of the battery... the WD-40 keeps water & moisture out

oh to help clean up, take the cheapest cooking spray & spray your inner fender wells & under the jeep some... Mud wont stick to it
post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2002, 01:10 PM
virgil_likes_rum

I had the same thing happen to me when I went through a lil lake (big big puddle). I dried the distributor connections and spray WD 40 and it worked like new. I have heard that using the grease is better and longer lasting though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in