Need help regarding a no start on Jeep Wrangler 1991 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
thefunkbassist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Need help regarding a no start on Jeep Wrangler 1991

Hello, I was installing a radio in my 91 wrangler and the PO was a dropped on the head a little too many times because there is a ridiculous wiring set up for the radio. He cut the stock wires and wires a ground to the dash and two other cables that exited towards the driver's side. I tired installing a radio with the same wires he left behind and it worked when I turned on the Jeep but then the ground wire started smoking and the car turned off. Now when I try to turn the car on, the brake light will come on, and the lights and dash lights come on but when I try to start it, it cranks but it wont turn over, it just cranks and cranks but wont start the engine. Could this be a blown fuse and which one could it be or a deeper underlying problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Un hook all the radio wires.

Check all fuses both under yhe hood and under the dash, you likely have one blown.

If no bad fuses, check back in and we will start troubleshooting your system.

418 miles on 19 gallons of gas. Can't beat the BBD !
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
thefunkbassist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

okay, I will check that in the morning because it is a mosquito party at night because of where I live and I'll drop the battery of at autozone for a free charge in the even that it is they battery.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
thefunkbassist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I manged to check the fuses and noticed that the green 30A fuse for the fuel pump was blown. Makes a lot of sense because no fuel=no start and I did have spark because the engine cranked and normally, when I would turn on the jeep, I would hear the fuel pump make a quick "whirr" sound in the back as I turned on the jeep but not started it. Now, it does not make that sound because of the fuse. I also noticed how before, when I turned it on, the upshift light and the check engine light would come one momentarily and disappear but now when I just turn it on, only the parking brake light comes. Should I be worried or should the fuse fix it? and what special precautions should I take when wiring the radio to prevent another short?
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Hard_oNe

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wire a dedicated fused power wire to battery. Remote turn on to a Key on circuit.

Other satisfying methods.
1. Find PO
2. Back hand slap him for plucking up the wiring.
3. Drink a beer.

==========================
1989 Jeep YJ - "go slow"
2007 Trailblazer SS (6.0 LS2) - "go fast"

Tags
battery , radio , start , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in