Need cold air intake ideas for V8 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 05-30-2021, 03:43 PM
AZdEvilYJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
If you swap back to the stock i6 4.0, use the factory airbox, and get smaller tires, your MPG will increase somewhat.

Buh dum tiss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '19 YJ of the Month!

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do your best and caulk the rest
-Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 05-30-2021, 03:44 PM
AZdEvilYJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJ4FUN View Post
Yeah, but since we're here, how did it end up working out for you Waternut?

More threads need closure like this

'95 YJ 2.5L

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Albert Einstein
post #33 of 37 Old 05-30-2021, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJ4FUN View Post
Yeah, but since we're here, how did it end up working out for you Waternut?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
More threads need closure like this
Where to start... Intake temps stayed down but mpg's never went up. I can't remember the whole chain of events but around this time, the torque converter lock up didn't work on the 3rd transmission. 1st transmission I rebuilt and it worked great for about 500-1000 miles or so but couldn't figure out what was causing a loss of gears and slipping. The other two transmissions were warranty and shotty workmanship from a shop after taking it to a "professional". It was around this time where I really started to evaluate how I primarily use this Jeep and how many miles I was putting on it. I came to the conclusion that in roughly 1500-2000 miles a year that I was putting on it, I'd barely come out ahead after paying for ATF and gas to do another warranty claim. Any mpg's I thought I was missing out on between the torque converter lock up and intake temps were kind of moot in my eyes so I called it good enough.

Ultimately, I chose to ignore the mpg concept and just factor the Jeep as a "pay to play" vehicle. Since then, that 1500-2000 miles has dropped to around 200-300 miles per year on the road as tires got bigger and things changed enough to make it less road friendly. I'm also not sure I've put 100 miles on the Jeep without wheeling in at least a year. The fender wells have been opened up significantly as well due to coilovers in the front thus making under hood temperatures pretty much a non issue. Maybe you can see part of the air filter sticking out in the red circle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2215.jpg  

post #34 of 37 Old 05-30-2021, 06:57 PM
AZdEvilYJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thatís about where Iím at in my build as well. If mine stays cool over a day a wheeling Iíll be a happy camper. Mpg is a moot point, but I carry extra fuel in the Jeep cuz I did run out on a long day on the trail. Made for an interesting trip back to the trailer lol

'95 YJ 2.5L

My Build Thread

-Albert Einstein
post #35 of 37 Old 05-30-2021, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Thatís about where Iím at in my build as well. If mine stays cool over a day a wheeling Iíll be a happy camper. Mpg is a moot point, but I carry extra fuel in the Jeep cuz I did run out on a long day on the trail. Made for an interesting trip back to the trailer lol

It's funny because even though I have the big gas guzzling V8, I'm usually not struggling for fuel offroad even on long days on the trail. You may be in a similar situation but with my LS engine, I'm just barely above idle on nearly everything but the hardest or steepest trails. I usually shut the Jeep down if people are being slow on an obstacle as well. There are plenty of other people with the 2.5 or 4.0 Jeep engines who have the AC running when they aren't in the Jeep who run out before me most days.

post #36 of 37 Old 06-16-2021, 06:55 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
So I've got my LS installed and it runs great but I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm losing power and possibly fuel economy due my air filter basically being a hot air intake.

On a 70 degree morning, my intake temperature is around 130-135 degrees cruising on the highway. Anything past 85 degrees ambient, my intake temps are 145-150+ degrees. I'm not trying to extract every pony out of this thing but at those temperatures, I suspect the ECU is probably trying to back off the timing to prevent knocking.

Here are the two places my air filter has been positioned and the first picture with the filter over the headers is actually 5 degrees cooler on average so I'm thinking most of the hot air is probably coming from the radiator and less about the exhaust.

Some considerations I'm looking at.... I still want to be able to lower the windshield when I'm offroad so the Humvee style snorkel is likely out unless it's really low profile. I don't have the HVAC box in the cab but I can only imagine that the noise in the cab would be horrendous but I can use that area for something if needed.
Bug catcher / scoop?
Keep It Simple Sweetie
post #37 of 37 Old 06-18-2021, 06:48 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyN View Post
Made my own box, getting air from the hood louvers.
MannyN, did you notch or vent your hood? Can you show us an outside picture with the hood closed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in