Mystery Flat Tires? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
swoodnj

Mystery Flat Tires?

About a month ago I got a flat, and the shop aired it up and could not find anything wrong with it. I put it back on the Jeep and it was fine for about a month...then it went flat again. Once again there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it, I aired it up and have been driving it the last few days with no problem. I am due for new tires, these have some tread left but are getting down there. Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this...

Steve W

PS. Tires are Goodrich All Terrain T/As.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Have you put Fix-a-Flat in the tire? I have seen a few instances such as yours being the result of the Fix-a-Flat sealing the leak for awhile then leaking and sealing up again, etc.

Another possibility are slow leaks; slow leaks can be hard to detect - the most common (in my experience) slow leaks are:

- poorly sealed beads (rust, dirt, wheel weights, etc preventing a good seal),
- plugged holes (if you must plug a tire to get home, get it patched properly ASAP), and
- leaking valve stems/cores.

HTH

"AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY"

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
swoodnj

Thanks for the reply. I've never used Fix-A-Flat on this Jeep, I"ve had it almost 2 years. The mechanic did say there was a little rot around the bead of the rim, not sure if he did anything about it or not. He did put in a new valve stem.
Ordering new tires today, have had enough of this! I hate the feeling of riding around wondering if/when the tire's going to go flat again...

Steve W

post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Ed Croft

Yup, I have the same tires and one went low...guy at the shop thought it might be the seal on the rim, so put goo on there to stop any leaks and mounted it back on....(the plugs had been replaced with plug/patches)....still would go low after that. So I went with the tire sealer....worked for a while and now VERY slowly loses air. But like you the tread is getting down there and I'll have to get new ones soon anyway...(with new valve stems).
Really hard to find a slow leak.

I have seen tires hit glass....(from accident site or crap along the road).
What happends is you get a small sliver in your tire, then its "ground up" eventually from driving on it. And you can get a leak that is a BEAR to find if the hole is just so small from a sliver of glass.
I've also seen them get a big hunk of glass in there and have a good size hole left when the glass is ground up. (No problem spotting those!!)
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
swoodnj

Well, I'm sorry for your troubles but I am glad that it's not just me! I just got done ordering 4 new All Terrain T/As, don't really have the $$$ but as I look outside at the snow falling....

Steve W
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 03:33 PM
89YJmoneypit
KMG365

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rims

Make sure they clean your rims where the bead seals real good,I was having the same problem & they said it was because there was corrosion around the rim. They said it was fairly common with the alloy jeep rims.

89 YJ
Transplanted '99 4.0, AX-15, NP231
Red Jeep club #8
Now belongs to my daughter.
97 ZJ Laredo
4.0, 42re, NP242
R.I.P.

Marseilles Fire Dept:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
swoodnj

Thanks, someone here at work just said the same thing. Will be sure they clean up the rims...

Steve W

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in