My Jeep won't start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-12-2021, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
sambosma

My Jeep won't start

My Jeep Wrangler 1995/4 cylinder/manual was stored for winter and I tried starting it today. It did not start and just made continuous clicking noises.
When I jump start using my daily car it is still not turning over. It cranks for a short time and stops.

I tried taking the battery terminals out, cleaned them thoroughly and attached them again. Is my battery completely dead/busted that even jump start won't help? Do I need a new battery?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2021, 10:57 PM
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
check relays aren't corroded and check the electromagnet moves/clicks when given power.

ASD relay, fuel relay could be culprits. Did you check for spark when it is cranking?
post #3 of 10 Old 06-13-2021, 01:32 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Stored for the winter. What's that? Just let it sit? Or did you remove a battery cable and keep the battery on a trickle charger?

Yeah, the battery may be fried if you just let it sit and discharge to death. So many jumper cables. Some aren't worth a sheet.
So thin they can't carry enough amperage to turn the starter.

I'd charge the battery overnight first. See if it will take a charge.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place

post #4 of 10 Old 06-13-2021, 05:50 AM
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Stored for the winter. What's that?
I thought you were asking what winter was.

I would check the battery with a multimeter. Both at rest and under load. If the battery is good it should be 12.4 volts or more at rest after charging overnight like Chris said. Under load it should still be around 10 volts for at least 30 seconds.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-13-2021, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
sambosma

I live in New England with harsh winters and lots of salt on the road. I don’t want to damage the rails even though they aren’t perfect. So I disconnect the negative terminal of battery and put tarp on it from Nov through May. And cancel insurance and registration. Past two years it just started after I connected negative terminal.

The battery shows 10 volts only. This is why I am jump starting it.
I have to say that jumper cable gets warm. My understanding was that the engine should start even though battery is dead since it draws all the juice from donor battery.

https://streamable.com/qlrzth

I will buy new cables and also get battery tested.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2021, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
sambosma

Please see video https://streamable.com/qlrzth
post #7 of 10 Old 06-13-2021, 07:45 AM
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm not a mechanic but I've had my fair share of dead batteries and that sure seems like a dead battery.

Like Chris said jumper cables aren't what they used to be. If it reads only 10 volts with no load the battery will not have enough power to crank it, just like the video shows. Try charging it overnight like Chris said, if it still says 10 volts you have a bad battery.

In theory you should be able to jump it, but the connection has to be good and the battery can't be too far gone or the power goes to charging the bad battery and not to starting the rig. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2021, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
sambosma

She’s roaring like a Lion.

It was the jumper cables. Like you guys said cheap jumper cables do not carry enough amp to kick start starter on a dead battery. I bought new heavy gauge cables and let the dead battery charge for 12 mins.
I measured 14 volts at battery and also at positive terminal/alternator body. This was to make sure that Jeep has good ground. I turned the head lights on and they were bright. Finally, gave the ignition and she started after a little stutter.

I have not turned her off yet. I will go directly to auto parts store to get the battery checked and replaced if necessary. Thank you for all your help. This thread is closed.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-13-2021, 03:21 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndj32 View Post
I thought you were asking what winter was.
....he was

This was my first winter "sitting" the jeep.

I give her a few fan cycles every 3rd day to charge up the battery and keep the juices flowing. Trickle charger is less hands on, but i like my hands on my jeep

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-17-2021, 06:41 PM
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
....he was

This was my first winter "sitting" the jeep.

I give her a few fan cycles every 3rd day to charge up the battery and keep the juices flowing. Trickle charger is less hands on, but i like my hands on my jeep
I use mine for plowing in the winter, but not on the road, just my driveway so it doesn't see salt anymore. So my hands on is using it to get my other vehicles out. In northern Wisconsin we get a fair amount of snow (Lake Effect kicks in ), not sure how that compares to the snow in Toronto though.

I can't imagine living where it's hot and dry all the time. I like the season change myself. I do have to say I'm jealous of the NO RUST though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in