My first Post - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
chums
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My first Post

Hi all I'm new to the "Jeep World" since I have just purchased a White 95' Wrangler. I know nothing other than the guy I bought it from said it has a 3" suspension lift and a 3" body lift and It looks like it has a boomerang type rear shackle.

The front end is lower than the rear and I want to fix that, driving at highway speed means flirting with death, the entire steering system seems to twist instead of actually move the tires so I turn the wheel 6" one way or the other and all that stuff twists before anything moves. When I'm at speed things start to shake and vibrate real bad..all things I need to try and find out how to fix under a budget. I drove it straight to the shop to have the tires rotated, balanced and get their opinion on the front end situation.

I have the 2.5L 5spd and it seems with the 33 12.5 15 Super Swamper Tires, hitting 65-70 is only a reality if your going down hill with the wind to your back in 4th gear LOL.

I am on the hunt for a hardtop and full doors maybe a new lift 4"+ that may also have items in it to help with the steering, and plan to strip the inside and maybe go with the Raptor lining spray-in. From looking around here I see everyone is very helpful and Hope I may also get some of my questions answered! I'm unsure of a lot of things so any help is appreciated! I will get some pics up as soon as I can!

Thanks -Eric

PS I really want my Jeep to look like this guys! It's awesome! Unfortunately mine has a long way to go!

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/library.../martsorig.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome!

I would rather have a broke Jeep, than no Jeep at all.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking jeep! Welcome

post #4 of 27 Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM
caddyman

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good looking Jeep, have fun with it!

91 Jeep YJ Linked, Stretched, C/O's, Atlas, 39" Krawlers, ton's 60/14 bolt, ARB'S, GenRight's poster child!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
chums
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all! Like I was saying I will try to get picks of mine up after I get it back from the shop to pick every ones brain on what to do next. Thanks!
post #6 of 27 Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to see y'all read the entire post before you reply.

I would rather have a broke Jeep, than no Jeep at all.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

welcome to the jeep world.....first thing I would do, and this is only me...is take out the 3" body lift. I am not a fan of them, nor will I ever be. Thats just me. Then I would take a look at the front end, tie rod ends, ball joints, U-joints. Make sure it's safe. Although I'm sure the shop will do that. Safe is more important than anything. Don't be in a rush to do things. Keep in mind that if you do any mods, do them right, do them neat, do them well, and always pay attention to the small details. Makes a big difference. Do the easy stuff first, tackle the bigger things later on.....everyone on here had to start somewhere. Good luck and welcome........
post #8 of 27 Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM
notmyj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Take your time and do everything right. It will pay huge dividens in the future. As for the steering being loose, do a search here for adjusting the steering box slop. It doesnt cost you anything, only takes a few minutes and make a huge difference. As mentioned above, just remember that we didn't build ours over night. Spend wisely, not cheaply.

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
post #9 of 27 Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

welcome to jeep universe! Nice lookin rig! lose the body lift.one thing at a time over and over and over till you can look at yer rig and say PING.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM
caddyman

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SFF250 View Post
Glad to see y'all read the entire post before you reply.

oops!

91 Jeep YJ Linked, Stretched, C/O's, Atlas, 39" Krawlers, ton's 60/14 bolt, ARB'S, GenRight's poster child!

My Build:

post #11 of 27 Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
jokerchief462

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Welcome to the forum and that is a good looking YJ.

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #12 of 27 Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM
imstillatwork
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
just remember that we didn't build ours over night. Spend wisely, not cheaply.

Perfect advice!

2003 TJ 4.0 Rubicon, 35s, Warn 8274, Savvy CAs, Currie TBs, Currie Springs
post #13 of 27 Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
chums
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Everyone Just got the jeep back from the shop. Will try to get msome pics up over the weekend.

They said the front end was fine, the rims couldnt be balanced with the equipment they had (fake bead lock ring in the way I guess) but they thought most of the vib was due to the tires being so far out of balance (16g -19g on all of them)

They couldn't get any slop out of the steering but I am going to check the steering box to see if it has any adjustment, but I can see that most of the slop is coming from the steering bars up front twisting. I did notice it has boom shackles front and back. and skyjacker shocks all around so it may have a skyjacker 3" or something. Sorry but I will get pics so I can get some opinions hopefully.

I am not planning on doing major hard core off road stuff but want to get the steering tight and right and put a 6" lift under it like the first picture I posted! I have been looking at the 1 ton kit, JB kit, and the Rocky road kit to help with the sloppy steering.

Another odd thing is the guy put a new tailgate on but said the hinges were not the right ones so the gate wont open?? The guy also said he put a intake and a throttle body block or what ever on it so upon start up it idles real high and he blamed it on that stuff? I need to search more on that.

Pics to come.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Rproject

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum, and your new addiction.

Hopefully, one day, your rig will look like you want it to. The day after that, you'll make another change to it. Jeeps are a journey, not a destination.

As notmyj advised, spend wisely, not cheaply. I've been accused of "over researching" a project. I contend that is impossible. The more I read, the more I learn. The more I learn, the less likely I am to regret a decision. So, read-read-read-read. The people here are great (well, most of them anyway ). Help is just a mouse click away.

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
post #15 of 27 Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chums View Post
.....I am not planning on doing major hard core off road stuff but want to get the steering tight and right and put a 6" lift under it like the first picture I posted!

Pics to come.
You don't want to try 6" of lift without doing some major things to your jeep. Too much spring arch for SUA. You currently have an SUA suspension, the white jeep in the picture you posted looks to have an SOA suspension modification. (the front shackle is above the rim centerline)

That's a big-time mod that is a can of worms if not done correctly. Search a bit and you will find all kinds of info on SOA jeeps. But 6" of lift on an SUA jeep will have you bouncing around like a buck-board wagon. Again, search and read before commiting yourself.

That said, Welcome to JeepForum!

You have to start somewhere to get to the middle of nowhere.

2015 YJ Of The Year

Thanks, but my rig is just a Prince among Kings. You folks gave me the answers to build it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in