My 95 YJ "Build" - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My 95 YJ "Build"

I have been doing a lot to my Jeep lately and plan on doing more in the upcoming months and I wanted to do a "build" style thread. I just recently installed a 1" prothane body lift to replace my rotted out original body mounts. I wanted to add some pictures of my Jeep when I first got it, but I will need to scan those in and post them later, so this is going to be a little out of order, but hopefully it will all come together in some sort of Pulp Fiction-esque story line.

my system to lift the body up

one of the side mounts

another side shot and the mystery puddle that appeared after I jacked up the body...i think it was power steering fluid, but I couldn't figure out where it came from exactly

the last front mount

had to perform some minor can opener surgery to get to the back mount after i broke it

close up view

more can opener surgery for the inside mounts

sunday with the top off after completing the lift

and here it is today after I washed her up

I've ordered raptor liner to spray in the bed, but I need to replace my driver's side foot well first which rusted out underneath the carpet from a windshield leak that i discovered too late. Hope all the pictures post the first time.

1995 yj, 2.5l, 2 1/2 skyjacker lift, 1" shackle lift, 1" prothane body lift, 33 x 10.50 bfg ko, raptor lined tub, original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
ikircher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your Jeep looks SWEET!!!
post #3 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 AM
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep! Concerning your top. You need to tighten it up a bit.

Pull back on the channel bar or the bottom of the bow to get the side window and the rear corners tighter.

post #4 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I had neglected it a little the past two years, but I am making up for it now.

1995 yj, 2.5l, 2 1/2 skyjacker lift, 1" shackle lift, 1" prothane body lift, 33 x 10.50 bfg ko, raptor lined tub, original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I actually just broke the spreader bar on sunday when I was putting the top back up, lol. It does look like it needs to slide back a little.

All the foam on my factory soft top frame has rotted away. I am thinking about getting some the stuff that people use to insulate pipes and mounting that on the frame and then cutting out holes for the snaps.

post #6 of 33 Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Been doing lots of stuff lately, went ahead and ordered the raptor liner which came in already and started getting the jeep ready to be lined. Removed everything from the tub to start sanding and prep work. I had previously used a spray in duplicolor bedliner which did not last very well, nor give me the texture that I was looking for. So I am having to not only sand the interior but try to get rid of most of that previous attempt at a bedliner.

Here is a picture of the jeep tub emptied out:

Had to cut out the rust spot to fit in the new pan:

Put the driver's seat back in and drove it over to a friends house to weld in the new pan. Driving with that huge hole in the floor was pretty awesome. Went ahead and welded it in. I need to state that I have never welded before. He did the first welds, then let me go at it. I am not certain how good it looks, but I am going to be covering it up with the raptor liner, so i dont think it should matter too much.

close up of the weld:

headed back over to his house tonight after work to finish up and to address the little issue that I discovered while cutting out the main rust spot. I think I am going to go ahead and spray bedliner under the door entries down the rockers.

Excited to get these rust spots fixed and finish the bed prep so I can spray in the raptor liner.

post #7 of 33 Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot I had scanned some older pictures of the Jeep through the years. Here they are:

not sure why this one was sideways, cameraman probably got knocked back from the horsepower:

not my jeep, but one of my favorites of my friend pat in his 'blue' jeep:

and one more of the differential cover i painted red a while ago, but forgot to upload.

hopefully the next post will be with the tub fully lined out.

post #8 of 33 Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did some more work on the Jeep. Biggest thing would be the spray in bed liner. I went with Upol Raptor because I really wanted to spray it in.

Here is a picture of the Jeep all prepped up with self etching primer after the sanding. I had previously sprayed on a Duplicolor bed liner many years ago when I didn't have the time to do it properly. It made it much harder to properly prepare the tub. I had to take lots of spots down to the bare metal. Upol recommends a self etching primer for bare metal, so I went ahead and hit all the spots I took down to the bare metal. I used ear plugs and rolled up pieces of duct tape to plug all the holes.

side shot of the prep before spraying:

after the first coat:

after the second coat, this is also where I welded in the new pan...looks pretty good i think...

the finished project with the seat back in...the wiring still needs to be shored up a little.

also went ahead and took out the track bar and the sway bar. i have to say that the jeep drives much better without either. it seems to be less jarring when hitting bumps.

here is a shot just goofing around in the front yard. i need to find something else to test the flex out.

and here is a little shot of my man zone, absent from the picture is my dedicated beer fridge and moose head beer neon sign around the corner.

here is a picture of the front of my jeep with the refurbished push bar. everyone says the red tow hooks look like fangs, i am kinda digging them.

I have ordered the poison spyder rocker knocker with slider and it is supposed to be shipping out next week. They have a special right now with a free rubber liner if you order the rocker armor this month. It saves $50, so if you are thinking about picking them up, this might be a good time. I am excited for them since they will effectively cover up the weld that I did on the side just under the Jeep logo. I have one more can of bed liner left, so I am trying to decide if I want to line the rocker knockers or just hit them with flat black.

post #9 of 33 Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Soon2AdjustYou

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great man!

What gun did you use to spray the liner?

Did you have to water it down at all?

Former TJ owner...present YJ owner
post #10 of 33 Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj381 View Post
Did some more work on the Jeep. Biggest thing would be the spray in bed liner. I went with Upol Raptor because I really wanted to spray it in.

the finished project with the seat back in...the wiring still needs to be shored up a little.

I have ordered the poison spyder rocker knocker with slider and it is supposed to be shipping out next week. They have a special right now with a free rubber liner if you order the rocker armor this month. It saves $50, so if you are thinking about picking them up, this might be a good time. I am excited them since they will effectively cover up the weld that I did on the side just under the Jeep logo. I have one more can of bed liner left, so I am trying to decide if I want to line the rocker knockers or just hit them with flat black.
Holly Crap is the A/C I have heard about such things but always thought it was a myth.

Just busting you nice looking YJ

I can quit drinking anytime I want, but hey I'm no quitter :)

White Jeep Club #224
post #11 of 33 Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The upol raptor kit came with a gun and I didn't have to water it down, just mix in the hardener with each can. The kit came with 4 cans and I used 3.

The mysterious a/c! Often seen in Florida yjs.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I've been working on the jeep a lot lately.

post #12 of 33 Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 PM
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep man. I especially like the bed-liner. I need to do that to mine.

'90 YJ - Squirrel powered and on 35's!
Feb 2020 YJOTM!

'21 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
post #13 of 33 Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 PM
marzcap328

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job so far. What more do you plan on doing to it? Seems like you are full steam ahead

93 YJ, Black on White
United States Navy

post #14 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Next is the poison spyder rocker knocker with slider, already ordered, just waiting on it. Then I need to get a new bumper. I'm going to get one that has a spare carrier and a long jack mount. I'm probably going to order it from the guy on the forums here who makes them. After that, I will have the cosmetic stuff pretty much done. I'll need to rewire some fog lights, i think im going to mount them on the windshield hinge, add some extra lights for backing up and some rocker lights underneath.

One thing I need to do is clean up the wiring on the passenger side where I made my splices to wire my sound bar speakers and sound bar lights (read your build marzcap, and can't think where to get a replacement. I can take mine apart and show you what it looks like if you want to try and make something to match). I'm thinking about making some sort of junction box since there are about 5 wires I had to connect to.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I picked up some tj flares off Craigslist for $20. So I'm going to be replacing my stock ones and cutting open my wheel wells to match the tj flares.

I guess that's actually a pretty good list of to do items...lol

post #15 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
yj381

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and I forgot about the locker for the front. Need to research it more, but maybe the Aussie lunch box locker. Seems to get lots of good reviews.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in