“Must have” upgrades? - JeepForum.com
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
cwstaton

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
“Must have” upgrades?

What are some “must have” upgrades that you’ve done to your YJ?

Once a project, always a project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

40’s and links...
bruinjeeper and Waternut like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 10:24 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There is no upgrade more important than making your jeep dependable. In the early days of wheeling guys would show up with barely running junk, loose batteries, bad u joints and then we would spend all day trying to get them back to camp. After a few of those we put a stop to it. Our group is just friends, not a club, but you are not going with us unless the basics are taken care of.

as for actual upgrades, it depends on what you want to do and there is really no one answer but for starters. a decent rear bumper with tow points. a good jack (not a hi lift) and probably at least a front locker. After that, lift depends on tires depends on gears depends on budget depends on where you want to go.

actually just thought of a must have, no matter what. head light relay mod.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 11:17 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Must haves for what kind of usage? That's a pretty broad question.
Awesome likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 12:13 PM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There is no upgrade more important than making your jeep dependable. In the early days of wheeling guys would show up with barely running junk, loose batteries, bad u joints and then we would spend all day trying to get them back to camp. After a few of those we put a stop to it. Our group is just friends, not a club, but you are not going with us unless the basics are taken care of.

as for actual upgrades, it depends on what you want to do and there is really no one answer but for starters. a decent rear bumper with tow points. a good jack (not a hi lift) and probably at least a front locker. After that, lift depends on tires depends on gears depends on budget depends on where you want to go.

actually just thought of a must have, no matter what. head light relay mod.
Pretty much what he said. Although I still haven't done the headlight relay.

For me the must haves were removing the 3" body lift in favor of stock body mounts. Cleaning up the voodoo wiring and vacuum hoses. Then going with a CRT distributor and replacing the computer controlled carb with a new BBD without the IAC stepper motor. Even though I have a Motorcraft 2150 and Weber DGEC on the shelf I've been totally happy with the drivability and dependability of the those two must-haves. Two inch receiver hitches front and rear (only the rear is a must-have). And a choice of tops and doors was a must-have. No top, bikini top, full soft top. No doors (windshield hinge mounted mirrors), tube doors, half doors with soft uppers.

What part of GA? I grew up in Macon and did college in Milledgeville.

89 YJ Parts Bin Special titled as 84 CJ7; parts ranging from 1984 -2000; 4.2L with AX-15.
post #6 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 04:43 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i think i see a rabbit hole... a DEEP one

Dual steering stabilizer... get the RC one because it's cool looking and black and red.
shaggyjim and Awesome like this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #7 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 04:55 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing will make a proportionally bigger improvement to your wheeling rig than a good set of off-road tires. And I'm not talking about anything that Falken or Firestone makes. That's a must-have upgrade IMO.

On-board air is a must-have if you wheel on public land where there's no air-up stations.

If you have a transfer case drop kit, getting rid of it is essential. Doing a flat belly is less so, but still makes a big difference off-road, IMO.

A winch and the recovery gear that goes with it is also essential. I've gotten myself out of some really bad situations with my winch, and before I had it I had to rely on other people to come by and help me out of really bad situations.

Anything else is gravy, really.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #8 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 05:11 PM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

YJ must haves? A welder.
shaggyjim likes this.

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 05:15 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In my opinion the best all around, dollar for dollar mod for jeeps used off road is a locker. Nothing else in the world you can install in a mostly stock to 37'ish level jeep will benefit you as much as a locker.
post #10 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 05:27 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Best peace of mind is preventative maintenance and build to be reliable

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #11 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 05:31 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
In my opinion the best all around, dollar for dollar mod for jeeps used off road is a locker. Nothing else in the world you can install in a mostly stock to 37'ish level jeep will benefit you as much as a locker.
Unless you have crappy tires, in which case the locker won't make a difference.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #12 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 05:42 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Unless you have crappy tires, in which case the locker won't make a difference.
Even with crappy tires the locker takes the cake. I would go so far as to say its even more important at that point.
Randonexplosion likes this.
post #13 of 29 Old 10-22-2021, 06:26 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Reliability is an upgrade for many peoples vehicles. It is the most important one to me.

Beyond that, it already has been said, it depends on what the jeep is used for. A kayak rack is a pretty killer upgrade IMO. Michigan has a lot of cool places to put in the water and if it is Kayak weather, it is Jeep weather. I love me a nice wilderness river and a kayak ride. We have some amazing places to paddle in Michigan. The Au Sable river is just one of my absolute favorite places in the world. My Grandparents had a cabin on it upstream from Mio. I have been on and around that river since I was probably 2 or 3 years old. Grayling is a great place to launch on the Au Sable. It is just serene, breathtakingly beautiful, and it has and average current speed of 3-4 MPH so you cover pretty good ground even if you just float and steer once in a while. We paddle quite a bit and get a workout so we can cover some distance.

Things that make a Jeep a great rig to base some camping around are cool. That can be anything from a teardrop to sleeping on the ground. Anyways. We have yet to take the 87 on an overnight trip into Northern Michigan but I want it to be able to get two kayaks, two bikes, a tent, small genny or spare battery...

Things that make them perfect for hunting or fishing trips are also cool.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #14 of 29 Old 10-23-2021, 10:45 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm not on board with a winch for a new wheeler. Anyone inexperienced should never be going out alone first, and second if they are new they can get hurt trying to winch

around here, and I guess everywhere, the first thing new jeep owners do is buy a winch and bolt a high lift on the hood. both of which are potential killers used poorly. I have literally 5-6 high lift jacks people have given me because they either never use them or they did once and it did not go well.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #15 of 29 Old 10-23-2021, 04:23 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Those high lift jacks remind me of the old bumper jacks that cars came with. Good lord they were dangerous.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in