• 1 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By BaumSquadM24
  • 1 Post By Boojo35
  • 1 Post By Randonexplosion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
PA-MUDDIN'

Motor Swap????

Hey there I have a 92 YJ 2.5L..... With stock gears. It sits on 15" rims and 33" tires and has a 4" body lift. I would like to put the straight 6 AMC 4.6L in it. Would that be the best and easiest upgrade I could do??? If anybody has any suggestions on that topic please let me know please. I would also like to put a 4" suspension lift on it and take out my 4" body lift and swap it with a 1-1/2" body lift. Then upgrade 15" rims to 20" rims with 37" tires. Does anybody know what would be they best gears to run with that motor and tire combo?? Please any info or experience anyone has with the motor swap and upgrading to 20" rims and 37" tires and what gears I should run with them, would be greatly appreciated!! Before I start spending my cash, I would like to have a list of exactly the right parts and the best way to go about this, before I begin.... I look forward to reading any knowledgeable and correct information you could give me on this topic, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Get ready for some reading.
In the YJ tech section of the forums, every question you asked is answered in the sticky/FAQ threads at the top of that forum with more info than you'll be able to take in at once.

Here's the main YJ FAQ:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...-first-580536/

Here's a good one about the engine swap part of your questions, as there are a LOT of variables (where the donor came from. what trans/tcase, etc.).
This thread has lots of links to much important info on the topic:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...mation-537763/
Randonexplosion likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 11:18 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Upgrade from 15" to 20" wheels?
Awesome likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 01:50 PM
BaumSquadM24
1988 YJ Wrangler 

20" wheels are ***. For offroading the rule of thumb is to run the smallest wheels you can.

AMC 4.6 is a modified 4.0 that's a Jeep stroker and you should go to jeepstrokers.com for the best information on that. Moving from a 2.5 to a 4.6 is essentially the same as 2.5 to 4.0 so you can get all necessary swap information for that here. You'll need a new transmission as well. Junkyard will be your friend, or you can always buy a beat to **** but good running Cherokee and get everything you need from that.

I recommend against all body lift it hardly provides much benefit and if you are just trying to lift it, that's not the way to do it. Look into spring over axle (SOA) if you want to do it properly and have good off-road performance.

Again. 20" rims are stupid, don't do that **** and buy into every other loser in a lifted brodozer truck with no tires. It makes your tires more expensive, offers less performance, more likely to damage a wheel, and it's not cool looking. And if you're going to 37s you'll be doing a rear axle at the very least and front axle should be on your list unless you want to upgrade it.
Awesome likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 06:05 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Suggest you do some more research and lots of reading on the mods you are dreaming about. Unless you are just cruzing the empty mall parking lot trying to impress the girls on saturday night or something. Start with thinking about your own safety and the safety of others on the roads around you. Those tiny little brakes on stock axles are engineered for 28 inch tires. They will not stop you with 37's. Unless you are in the mall parking lot. One of the first rules a lot of jeep owners forget about when modding their jeeps is safety.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 08:57 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

First thing's first, there is no "list of exactly the right parts" for any vehicle. You need to decide what your goals, expectations, and budget are and choose your mods accordingly. Anyone who tells you otherwise is narrow minded and doesn't know what they're talking about. This is what makes the world an amazing place. Exercise your options!

Lastly, you can literally spend the next 4 months reading all the different ways people have accomplished what you're talking about and it's very likely that no two people will do it the same. Figure out what you can do, then what you can afford, and ask questions from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
PA-MUDDIN'

I am upgrading axles and brakes, also im running disk brakes in the rear. I am building this one as a show vehicle.. it's not for muddin. I am putting the 4" suspension lift on and taking the Body lift off, as I mentioned. I do not like them, I don't like the leaf over axle either. I'm buying a regular 4" suspension lift. I was just wondering about the inline six and what gears I would need to run for 37's, if anybody has done that. But thanks for all the info it was helpful...
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 06:33 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-MUDDIN' View Post
I am upgrading axles and brakes, also im running disk brakes in the rear. I am building this one as a show vehicle.. it's not for muddin. I am putting the 4" suspension lift on and taking the Body lift off, as I mentioned. I do not like them, I don't like the leaf over axle either. I'm buying a regular 4" suspension lift. I was just wondering about the inline six and what gears I would need to run for 37's, if anybody has done that. But thanks for all the info it was helpful...
For gearing... http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

But as mentioned you need to do alot of reading... if its just a show piece I would say then what suspension you install doesnt really matter... as long as it looks good....

And for a show jeep, I'd go GM LS engine over a 4.6 both will turn the 37's but the LS will have a nice purr to it..

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #9 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 08:24 AM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

5.38 gearing for the 4.6 with an AX15. Dana 30 won’t accept deeper than 5.13, which isn’t a big deal since you need new front and rear axles strong enough to handle 37” tires. Besides, Dana 60s will look better on a show rig.

How do you plan to fit 37” tires with only 4” of lift? I can’t fit 37s on my spring over rig, which has about 6” of lift.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 06:20 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-MUDDIN' View Post
I would think that if you are capable of upgrading the axles and doing a rear disc brake conversion that figuring out a gear set would be the easy part. Are you doing the work yourself?

What axles do you plan on upgrading to?

You have two threads with almost the same questions or ideas.

BTW. 20 inch wheels.
NHfireLJ likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 10:13 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
5.38 gearing for the 4.6 with an AX15. Dana 30 won’t accept deeper than 5.13, which isn’t a big deal since you need new front and rear axles strong enough to handle 37” tires. Besides, Dana 60s will look better on a show rig.

How do you plan to fit 37” tires with only 4” of lift? I can’t fit 37s on my spring over rig, which has about 6” of lift.
Running 37's with SOA oem springs and no issues... 5.5" lift

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #12 of 12 Old 01-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

JK Rubicon axles would be good candidates to run 37s.

20" wheels look pretty good with 40s
NHfireLJ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in