Moab 2021! - JeepForum.com
 172Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 274 Old 04-02-2021, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Moab 2021!

K, we're now into April, so only a month or so away!

Had this posted in the events sticky, but not sure how many saw it? So... just to give it a little more exposure, I'll put it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Moab 2021!

Again, myself and some NorCal guys are planning on heading back to Moab in May '21. Week of the 20th thru the 29th.

In the past we've posted a general invite to the forum, but as we all know, Covid screwed up all of last years plans. This time around it sounds like we'll have a much smaller group, only 3-4 so far, so I'm trying posting here first.
Pretty much a free for all. No special plans or meet and greets... just get there and enjoy the wheel'n.

Again, we'll be primitive camping in the Ken's lake BLM campground. Anyone can find us there. I've got site 18. Tim and Sean have a couple close by. They used to be first come basis, but this year they are taking reservations. Of course there is always RV parks, motels, and a couple other BLM campgrounds to choose from.

Chime in if you can make it or interested in joining.
So far, it's just;

RockWoRM (arriving May 19)
timatoe
Sean (norcal)
Dan (norcal)
Varnish
shaggyjim (maybe just the weekend?)

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 Old 04-02-2021, 10:48 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Party!
post #3 of 274 Old 04-02-2021, 12:30 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm so ready to go, just over 6 weeks YAY!!!!

Bringing the party deck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 274 Old 04-02-2021, 01:17 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not gonna lie, I've been wanting to go with you guys for ages. This is the first year you've planned it for late enough that school isn't in. I MIGHT actually be able to convince my wife.... I'll have to see if I can borrow a flatbed long enough to get both Jeeps on. She will probably want to come as well.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #5 of 274 Old 04-02-2021, 02:05 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Now I'm wishing we'd posted this up earlier. The reservation system is nice because you know you've got a spot but it's also made it more difficult to get something. Years past we showed up mid week and snatched up the spots we needed because there aren't as many people there on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 274 Old 04-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wife isn't sure about it. It's a long ways. I'll work on her.

post #7 of 274 Old 04-02-2021, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, most of Ken's lake is filled up already. But again, there are other places... sand flats comes to mind... and a couple camp spots along the colorado river on 128. And of course pay camping/ @ RV spots. Last time I looked at those, they were like $35 a night! But at least ya get a hot shower with those!

I've done many a trip solo, and so is this one. A friend/co-pilot will be meeting me there later. Awesome, you can always come with just one Jeep.

Tim, make sure the back of your pickup is full of firewood! I'll pile as much as I can on the trailer.

Quote:
Bringing the party deck!!
Note to self: Stock up @ Costco!!!

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #8 of 274 Old 04-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, wife says she'd really love to go ...someday... but we have horses and dogs and cats and chickens and cows... she said I could maybe go by myself, but then I'd have to sleep in a tent. She's thinking about it.

Man, I want to go. The irony is I'm just about exactly the same distance from Moab as I was when I lived in Northern California. I'm like, 5 miles closer I think, lol.
timatoe and shaggyjim like this.

post #9 of 274 Old 04-03-2021, 01:44 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
...Tim, make sure the back of your pickup is full of firewood! I'll pile as much as I can on the trailer....
Hopefully, we'll have plenty of fire wood. Only problem is most of what I've got is crap, burns great but doesn't put off much heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
.....Man, I want to go. The irony is I'm just about exactly the same distance from Moab as I was when I lived in Northern California. I'm like, 5 miles closer I think, lol.
Tenting it late May wouldn't be bad. First time I went was early April, woke up in my tent freezing with 2" of snow and 17*. I was in no way prepared for that type of weather.

Each place in TX the wife looks at moving to I check the mileage to Moab.

Most of the areas we've looked at are within two hours difference in time.

Quote:
post #10 of 274 Old 04-08-2021, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post

Each place in TX the wife looks at moving to I check the mileage to Moab.

Most of the areas we've looked at are within two hours difference in time.
If we get to Idaho, like we're planning, I'll be 3 hrs. closer! Woot! Could actually drive it in a day, easy!
timatoe, shaggyjim and DirtKar like this.

post #11 of 274 Old 04-12-2021, 07:39 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok everyone your pre-Moab scouting report is 75 degrees and sunny with brisk evenings and mornings. They have a lot of construction happening on the 191 coming into town and some more headed up to Fins and Hells Revenge with longish wait times to enter. I didn't make it over to Kens lake so I'm not sure about that area. Its not to crowded on the trails with no wait times at obstacles but most of the camp grounds I have seen are pretty busy.
I was told that Utah was lifting the mask mandate but I believe Moab and the county are keeping it inplace for now.
Attached Thumbnails
20210410_104419.jpg  
post #12 of 274 Old 04-12-2021, 10:29 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If anyone is passing thru here, I have piles of dry firewood that Im willing to donate.
timatoe likes this.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #13 of 274 Old 04-13-2021, 06:42 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m getting excited about the trip, too, and I’m not even going!
RockWoRM, timatoe, Boojo35 and 1 others like this.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #14 of 274 Old 04-13-2021, 07:54 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Ok everyone your pre-Moab scouting report is 75 degrees and sunny with brisk evenings and mornings. They have a lot of construction happening on the 191 coming into town and some more headed up to Fins and Hells Revenge with longish wait times to enter. I didn't make it over to Kens lake so I'm not sure about that area. Its not to crowded on the trails with no wait times at obstacles but most of the camp grounds I have seen are pretty busy.
I was told that Utah was lifting the mask mandate but I believe Moab and the county are keeping it inplace for now.
Did you go out 191 towards BFE? Last time we were there the camp host was telling us that whole area was getting built up. There were stacks of that blue slip fit plumbing laying everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
If anyone is passing thru here, I have piles of dry firewood that Im willing to donate.
I stay up north through Fernley to 50 then all the way in to Utah from there, but Randy (RockWorm) may be far enough south, not sure where he comes across. Either way, appreciate the offer.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

Quote:
post #15 of 274 Old 04-13-2021, 08:52 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Im not sure how the 191 is on the south side. I never made it all the way though town.
timatoe likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in