misalignment of power steering pump pulley - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-07-2021, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
GraehamWhite
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
misalignment of power steering pump pulley

Apologies for only coming on here with problem...1995 Jeep 2.4L

Changed power steering pump and pulley with Rock Auto replacement parts.

Used pulley installer until pulley bottomed out on shaft. Normal pressure used. Nothing Gorilla.

Now the pulley is 1/4 inch out of alignment, "too far back" on the shaft.

Can I just pull it forward? Will torquing bolt move it back...out of alignment.

The pump is between the Aluminum housing (behind) and metal clip is in front.

I checked the parts and web page calls out same part numbers?

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-07-2021, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
GraehamWhite
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
pictures of pump and pulley
Attached Images

post #3 of 14 Old 09-07-2021, 06:24 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes, you can pull it forward
It shouldn’t be bottomed out

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 14 Old 09-08-2021, 06:01 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Correct you align it by how far you press it on. Just use a puller to pull it back out
post #5 of 14 Old 09-08-2021, 05:58 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It is impossible to press the pulley on to far with a good installer. I personally use a Snap-on installer. If your pump shaft is aligned with the front edge of the pulley hub then you have not pressed it on too far. Does the bolt in the picture have a washer on it or is it bottomed out against the pump shaft? You may have it on a bit too far from what I see in the pics but not a half an inch. I repeat. The front of the pulley shaft need to align in depth with the front flange of the pulley that is immediately adjacent to it.

Your Rock auto pump may have too short of a shaft in it????

If so.... Take if from here Fish. You have Rock Auto covered.

edit: Why do you have a bolt that appears to be holding the pulley on? It is not needed.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-09-2021, 05:00 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
It is impossible to press the pulley on to far with a good installer.
…a bolt that appears to be holding the pulley on? It is not needed.
This is generally true. In my case, since I have a “custom” YJ/XJ/89/91/98 tank-on-pump in my 89 that I achieved with mix’n’match I had to adjust the pulley position from the XJs

Similarly, the current replacement pumps cover a range of years; the pump bodies/shafts are all basically the same but depending on year: vbelt, or serpentine XJ/YJ pulley it may want to be a different depth. I can’t remember exactly but one pulley or another wouldn’t work.
However as boojo indicated, it doesn’t go all the way back- I think the snout protrudes slightly? I don’t know the snapon tool but the OSC can/will overset the pulley. In my case I had gone to the depth showing from the original XJ pulley and had to suck it back out 3/16 or 1/4” but my setup isn’t factory, either (75% of why I did it was to not have a remote reservoir because dirtkar or antican or someone said it couldn’t be done and so I had all these used parts… and found it could LOL. Aldo had to shim one of the idler pulleys)

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 14 Old 09-09-2021, 05:17 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...81/index4.html

hope it helps.

Why does your setup appear oddly different than mine? 95 2.5L (you wrote 2.4L - i assume you meant 2.5L)

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-09-2021, 05:35 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Not being able to put hands on it leads me to suggest: possibly wrong pulley or pump. I do know that there are a multitude of combinations that can be found. The simplest and most reliable answer would be to move your pulley back out into alignment and perhaps consider a 'spacer' riding on the shaft behind it.

Ordinarily, things don't move much BUT, after a pump has been resuscitated and had a pulley removed it becomes easier for a 'new' one to move around on the shaft. Ordinarily, it might just surreptitiously align itself with the prevailing force of the belt and other pulleys...but if in doubt, a small spacer to keep it from walking into the pump can't hurt.

If yours is a keyed pump. that probably won't be needed.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-10-2021, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
GraehamWhite
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Mine has factory AC. That changes the tensioning position. Looks different.

Ordered all new parts, more later.

Bolt was used for alignment/ shaft length check with strait edge, will be removed when sorted.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-10-2021, 05:46 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutthans View Post
Not being able to put hands on it leads me to suggest: possibly wrong pulley or pump. I do know that there are a multitude of combinations that can be found. The simplest and most reliable answer would be to move your pulley back out into alignment and perhaps consider a 'spacer' riding on the shaft behind it.

Ordinarily, things don't move much BUT, after a pump has been resuscitated and had a pulley removed it becomes easier for a 'new' one to move around on the shaft. Ordinarily, it might just surreptitiously align itself with the prevailing force of the belt and other pulleys...but if in doubt, a small spacer to keep it from walking into the pump can't hurt.

If yours is a keyed pump. that probably won't be needed.
The pulleys on these pumps are press fit. No spacer changes anything. They do not have a keyway. They do not use a bolt to retain them. They must be pulled and installed with the special tools or damage WILL occur. I am not so sure that you understand this particular pulley.

post #11 of 14 Old 09-10-2021, 08:01 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
The pulleys on these pumps are press fit. No spacer changes anything. They do not have a keyway. They do not use a bolt to retain them. They must be pulled and installed with the special tools or damage WILL occur. I am not so sure that you understand this particular pulley.
Don't know that I do or not; I don't have it in my hands. But your information is not exactly correct regards what I am speaking of.

Now, I am not representing that I am an expert on factory offerings, but I have had to cobble together several pump arrangements from scratch ordering what I could find and sorting through dozens of dead jeep motors and hundreds of assorted pulleys and related parts. Press fit can get sloppy once a pulley has been removed and/or replaced. There are pulleys with keyway slots (had one...threw it out) although I have not seen a shaft with a keyway; there are different depth and O.D. pulleys; there are different offsets on pulleys; a spacer can be pressed or drawn on by bolt when an alignment mismatch occurs (all from what I've salvaged over the years from various jeeps).

As to whether that's normal or the way it's supposed to be, I don't know. I'm just passing along some junkyard experience. It's either useful or it isn't.

Last edited by gutthans; 09-11-2021 at 07:15 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-11-2021, 10:57 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

The jeep and all the spare parts you have for it - including any donor jeeps and specialty tools - are junk. You should stop now and buy a Toyota.

I will rent a 26' Uhaul and be over to take it all off your hands as a public service. DM me your address and approximate tonnage.

That said, image 2 above of the face of the pulley seems to show about the correct distance to achieve alignment between the bolt flange and the face of the pulley. It's hard to tell from that image, but if thats the case, do as suggested. Pull the pulley back to the fron tof the vehicle until it is aligned with the flange bolt flange, button it up, slap the belt on and check for true.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2021, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
GraehamWhite
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ordered new pump and installed it yesterday. Worked perfectly, now belt is tracking correctly.

Compared two new pumps prior to install. First and second unit supplied from Cardone rebuilders ( Rock Auto).

The shafts were different by about 3/8th of inch. Longer shaft of two is needed on 1995 YJ 2.5L.

Thanks for the help everyone.....now on to my new issue...
post #14 of 14 Old 09-30-2021, 04:48 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the update. Good info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in