• 1 Post By Awesome
  • 1 Post By Siva283

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Military wrap on wrong end, issue?

Turns out I put my RE's on backwards is this a problem? They're an inch longer towards the back as is, don't really want to loose that inch.

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I can't really tell what's going on in that pic but in general, YJ leafs are symetrical and the non-shackle leaf spring eyes are 9/16" while the shackle ends are 1/2". Are you sure you installed them wrong?

post #3 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
I can't really tell what's going on in that pic but in general, YJ leafs are symetrical and the non-shackle leaf spring eyes are 9/16" while the shackle ends are 1/2". Are you sure you installed them wrong?
Bushings were bought separately so I placed the bolts correctly but according to REs install instructions military goes on frame side.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shouldn't both sides have the wrap? I mean, it'd be pretty pointless if only one side had it.

If anything, your rear axle looks too far forward.
bruinjeeper likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 09:55 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

beat me to it.

didnt know if it was a weird angle or not.

It does seem pushed forward. As for the springs, my military wrap came on both ends (BDS springs). I actually cut and tapered off the shackle side as they wouldn't work with my shackles. Was not willing to lose the brace spacer mid bolt.

i notice though as i have been shopping springs here and there lately for my plans next year, most the military wrapped springs seem to only have one side with the wrap (frame side)

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Shouldn't both sides have the wrap? I mean, it'd be pretty pointless if only one side had it.

If anything, your rear axle looks too far forward.
That may be a result of the way I trimmed it and put the TJ flares on, it's actually tapping the gas tank skid.

post #7 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
That may be a result of the way I trimmed it and put the TJ flares on, it's actually tapping the gas tank skid.
Well it will move back some under compression. Is it hitting the skid at full compression or while only partly there? You might wanna flip the springs around.

Still think it's useless to have a military wrap on half of the spring. That just means you'll have to pray the spring doesn't break on the unwrapped end.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well it will move back some under compression. Is it hitting the skid at full compression or while only partly there? You might wanna flip the springs around.

Still think it's useless to have a military wrap on half of the spring. That just means you'll have to pray the spring doesn't break on the unwrapped end.
Yeah I need to check it out. I shoulda clarified it was hitting the skid with the old springs and it looks like these will too.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
Bushings were bought separately so I placed the bolts correctly but according to REs install instructions military goes on frame side.
That is how I recall how the RE springs went. Are these the RE ED springs?
If the diff isn't hitting the tank when stuffed, then I'd say you're ok.

Quote:

If he has the ED springs, and they hav'nt changed anything, then the non-full wrap side is more like a half wrap. So it can still hold the pack of the main breaks. I had the BDS that were full on both ends and were in the way of the shackle like bruinjeeper said, so I cut them off half way sort of copying the RE ED style. They worked just fine.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #10 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
That is how I recall how the RE springs went. Are these the RE ED springs?
yeah

post #11 of 12 Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
If he has the ED springs, and they hav'nt changed anything, then the non-full wrap side is more like a half wrap. So it can still hold the pack of the main breaks. I had the BDS that were full on both ends and were in the way of the shackle like bruinjeeper said, so I cut them off half way sort of copying the RE ED style. They worked just fine.
Ah yeah, that would make sense.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

RE springs are backwards so to speak the military wrap goes on the frame side. I did the same thing I flipped them and got my inch back
paulhead likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in