14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 32 Old 04-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake989 View Post
For the original topic, I've rolled my 95 4-banger on all versions of tires, wheels, and lifts over the last 20 years...the two biggest impacts to speed/power were: gearing and wheel type. Gearing was the biggest, but you're going to see the RPMs go up and fuel needle go down quick (currently running 4.88s behind an automatic). Ran steel wheels for a while, then eventually picked up a set of 17" alloys, and believe it or not that was a very noticeable difference (in a good way).
It goes back to what @Chrisnvegas said. Bigger tires equals more reciprocating mass or weight. The weight alone puts a strain on the driveline and axles. BUT..... IT ALSO REQUIRES MORE BRAKING FORCE. You are stopping and accelerating more reciprocating weight. The other difference is the increased tire diameter reduces your effective gear ratio. with that being said.

Did you tires on your 17" wheels have the same diameter and revolutions per mile as the tires on your steel wheels? Yes. You went in the right direction removing reciprocating weight..... for sure....

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 04-10-2019, 04:06 PM
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
It goes back to what @Chrisnvegas
Did you tires on your 17" wheels have the same diameter and revolutions per mile as the tires on your steel wheels? Yes. You went in the right direction removing reciprocating weight..... for sure....
Yes. After that experience I did a little research on the topic of rotating mass and centripetal force. Physix is real man!

The YJ is no longer my DD. I have sacrificed all future retirement plans for jeep parts. I'm depending on social security!

Tags
2.5 , 4cyl , 5spd , wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in