Man Do I Need Some Help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
bransonfarms

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Man Do I Need Some Help!

Hi Fellas,
I'm to the point I'm throwing in the towel and asking for help from the experts here! I just joined so that I could find the help, as well as maybe (hopefully) help someone else on what I do know.

Machine: 87 YJ 4.2L, 5sp Manual, 165k miles

Issue: My daughter was driving it to pick me up from a military assignment and it started overheating and she tried to make it home but I told her to pull over and wait on me to arrive. I arrived about 10 mins after she called because she was near the airport and the temp gauge was pegged. I had it towed home where it sits now. My daughter told me she did hear it knocking slightly when she pulled over.
After I started digging into it I found that there was a coolant leak from the radiator so I'm pretty sure she ran it dry. I put water in it after we towed it home and tried to start it and it had a really rough time turning the engine (it was a slow crank) but eventually got much better after a few tries.
At this point I can start it but it will not stay running on its own, and when it does run, it isn't even at an idle. It just won't rev at all. I have to floor it to keep it from stalling and even then it's only at maybe 200rpm (that's a guess). I have removed Egr valve to see if it would run better and same issue. Removed breather and cleaned venturi cluster-still the same.
I'm worried about internal damage but am optimistic because I've always known this engine to be a beast? I am hoping it's something as simple as low compression due to blown head gasket, intake manifold gasket, or even just a vacuum leak but I'm not sure. I have found some vac hoses off before but I think all of them are hooked up as it was when I bought it (?). I would rather throw up the white flag and ask for the experts (you fellas) help to walk me through this?
I sure would be grateful. Thanks so much!

Attached Thumbnails
20171203_113539.jpg   20171203_113600.jpg  

Last edited by bransonfarms; 08-26-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Crazysjeep

First off thank you for your service and it doesn't sound good if your daughter heard it knocking and you say it won't idle is it still knocking????
post #3 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
bransonfarms

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazysjeep View Post
First off thank you for your service and it doesn't sound good if your daughter heard it knocking and you say it won't idle is it still knocking????
Hi Crazysjeep, and thank you. I really do appreciate hearing that. She did say it was a quiet knock which In going means something good. When it's running now,
I don't really hear a knock. But it isn't really running now, it just kind of chugs. Thanks for responding brother.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 12:58 AM
Crazysjeep

What branch are you in I was in the army and I'd hate to say but sounds like your going to need a motor hopefully someone else will chime in
post #5 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 05:27 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First off, I would pull and examine the plugs and look for traces of burnt coolant.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 05:43 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
First off, I would pull and examine the plugs and look for traces of burnt coolant.
x2, especially #'s 3 and 4 which is where the most head warpage will tend to occur.

Compression testing is in order, and it won't hurt to peek into the plug holes (scope is very handy) to examine the cylinder walls for scuffing or seize marks.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 06:24 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would also like to thank you for your service.

A compression test is definitely the way to go. You should be able to rent/borrow the tool from any of the big parts stores. do a leak down on all the cylinders.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in