Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!! - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 212 Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Towering
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Opihi59. I started a new thread in the TJ Tech section so I didn't hijack this one more than I already have. The outer splines of the 3/4 hub and sleeve look relatively good, but the inner splines of the hub and the mainshaft splines are gone. That hub was just freewheeling on the mainshaft. I posted a bunch of photos in the other thread I started.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the sleeve and hub as a set anyway, even though the sleeve looks ok, just to be safe. The outer sleeve LOOKS ok, but something obviously went awry in that whole assembly, so better safe and out a few more bucks up front than pulling the whole thing apart again 75K miles down the road. I haven't cleaned up third gear yet to see if that's ok, but it didn't show obvious trauma.

I have no idea what broke that throwout sleeve. A small chunk of metal was missing from the sleeve (I found it in the bell housing) and there are obvious cracks where more damage was done. I bought a replacement retainer off e-bay and that one looks good. The pilot bearing was present and in pretty good shape still. I also went ahead and put a new clutch kit and pilot in since I had everything apart anyway. I figured if the transmission took such a beating, the clutch and TO bearing couldn't be far behind. The input shaft and 4th gear on the tranny both seem fine, no signs of blunt force trauma or rubbing on them from whatever cracked the retainer sleeve. I can post further pics in the other thread I started if you'd like to take a look at them.

Thanks again,

-Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 212 Old 09-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've done my rebuild and every thing seems to work fine but now I hear what sounds like the fingers of the clutch tapping against the throw out bearing. If I step on the clutch it goes away. How engaged is the clutch supposed to be against the throw out bearing? If the throw out arm is floating will it rattle? I've got some thing knocking around from what sounds like the transfer case shifter but I can't fine any thing loose and this is the best theory I can come up with.
post #123 of 212 Old 05-27-2015, 12:35 PM
dutchsupreme

Small chips in 2 or 3 gears

I am doing a rebuild on my ax15 and a couple of the gears have small chips on the very edge of the gears. I truthfully dont have alot of money but did buy a rebuild kit for syncros and bearings... can i slightly dress up the gears so no edges are sticking out or do i need to replace them any info would be great thanks!

post #124 of 212 Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Possibly. But you need to submit some crisp, quality photos of as much of it and the mating gears as you can.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #125 of 212 Old 06-20-2015, 10:56 AM
MDTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
With the help of this thread (And Opihi59) I have completely disassembled my ax15. However, I'm now stuck at the reassembly phase. I have the FSM, but it is not very clear about the proper alignment of the selector hubs. What is the right orientation for the r/1/2 and 3/4 selector hubs and rings, please?

Good resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #126 of 212 Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 AM
dutchsupreme

syncro keys

I am a complete knob for leaving this project for so long... here is my question --- I mixed up syncro keys on my bench... i know i know I should have stayed more organised and i am killing my self right now, can anyone tell me what syncro hub has what size keys?
post #127 of 212 Old 07-02-2015, 02:54 PM
MDTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I just finished putting my AX15 together and it is still on the bench. (It isn't shifting quite right yet ) However, I bought new keys so they came in labelled packages. The ones with the narrowed tip are for fifth gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchsupreme View Post
I am a complete knob for leaving this project for so long... here is my question --- I mixed up syncro keys on my bench... i know i know I should have stayed more organised and i am killing my self right now, can anyone tell me what syncro hub has what size keys?

Good resources:

post #128 of 212 Old 07-03-2015, 08:52 AM
dutchsupreme

OK so I have one question... I put the transmission back together and I found one stupid plastic piece left over... Can anyone tell me how important this is?

Last edited by dutchsupreme; 08-10-2015 at 11:33 AM.
post #129 of 212 Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 AM
dutchsupreme

Also where it goes
Attached Thumbnails
20150806_195548_HDR_1439228070319.jpg  
post #130 of 212 Old 08-11-2015, 08:53 AM
JeepProblems

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I believe its an oil guide to direct the oil onto the main shaft?? Someone else will probably chime in. Dont know how much you need it though..
post #131 of 212 Old 08-11-2015, 04:15 PM
dutchsupreme

OK thanks for the input.
post #132 of 212 Old 08-12-2015, 10:21 AM
MDTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepProblems View Post
I believe its an oil guide to direct the oil onto the main shaft?? Someone else will probably chime in. Dont know how much you need it though..
Yes, it is this. I slides into a "pocket" built into the housing and lines up with the countershaft. Personally, I'd put it back in. Opihi or MeanMax are the experts here. Opihi was a huge help to me last month on my AX15 rebuild.

Good resources:

post #133 of 212 Old 08-12-2015, 12:59 PM
ktrip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That little plastic part acts a fluid filter. The heavier particles sink down while the fluid passes thru the opening
post #134 of 212 Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 PM
chris9911
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I also noticed that plastic piece kinda sitting at weird angle when I removed the housing. I pulled it out and noticed there was a metal c-ring behind it. Does the metal ring and the plastic piece somehow go together?
Attached Thumbnails
ring.jpg  
post #135 of 212 Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 PM
chris9911
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Question for experts. Is this picture showing normal tolerance for a cluster gear shaft? If I grab the shaft end, I'm able to slide it in and out about .2" with ease. You can actually see the amount of play in the picture. The shiny half is where the play range is. I think this is contributing to the fact my 5th gear pops out during braking or going over bumps. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
clustershaft1.jpg   clustershaft2.jpg  

Tags
transmission , rebuild , ax-15 , repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in