Lowering a YJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
jesdreamer

Lowering a YJ

I know this will not be a popular question but I want to lower my 1992 YJ. I see only 1" or so max travel before front axle hits the rubber snubber or bumper stop (I assume no trouble lowering rear axle). I assume I can cut down the length of this rubber stop bumper since it looks to be perhaps 4" long and this might allow 1" of added spacer block under the U-bolts (AOS setup). but I want to get 3" or more lowering if possible. I am thinking about going to 15" or even 14" wide rim wheels with 50 or 45 series tires -- and I am willing to convert to 2 wheel drive to get front axle assy out of the way for more body drop -- any ideas, comments, techniques, etc, etc??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 04:17 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Take the stock springs, flip them over so that they have a negative arch, then reinstall the axles in a manner to get you the desired height. That ought to do it.

Is this an Alabama thing?

[/thread]
post #3 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 04:47 PM
UPStrades
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly just order oem replacement units. Don't remove the front axle, it's there by design and will drastically reduce its value and probably cause more problems than it's worth. I went from a 4" lift to 2.5 and I love the change. You can feel the difference as far as driveability.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Crazysjeep

Wow this is the dumbest post I've seen yet
post #5 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
jesdreamer

I am trying to go from stock to something lower and don't understand how flipping the leaf spring assembly is going to work. I only have around 1" of travel as stock for axle to hit the rubber bumper stop block and if I flip the spring pack it is going to provide far more lowering even If I go to SOA ?? (do you mean flip only the longest leaf in order to flip the spring eyes?? -- If so how do I ever get the spring pack reassembled??)
post #6 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 05:52 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is a troll job.

....I hope

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Crazysjeep

Buy a 2wd to lower instead of ruining a jeep
post #8 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
jesdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
This is a troll job.

....I hope
I may be among the uninitiated but what is a "troll job"??
post #9 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Crazysjeep

Some moron posting stupid questions
post #10 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 06:38 PM
Jeepsr4me

Get a 2wheel drive front axle out from under a Cherokee and weld the perches on. This will give you more room to lower it.

Then take the driveshaft out and all the other shifting parts of the the Tcase.. If you got a 4.0 then a 2wheel drive trans from same cherokee will work.

Do all this work and waste untold amounts of money only to get a jeep that handles like crap and has no functional use other than to look bad..
Also got you some of those wideass rims and some of those green undrcarriage lights.

post #11 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 06:57 PM
UPStrades
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Flipping the leaf springs was a joke. Absolutely do not do that. Obviously a thread like this is going to welcome some flame. It is very Ill advised to lower a yj because it is not a coil sprung vehicle. You will be endangering more than just yourself if you do this. Leave it at oem and get thinner tires is my only advice if you're set on lowering the ride height.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 07:04 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Attached Images

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 07:05 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdreamer View Post
I may be among the uninitiated but what is a "troll job"??
....i am 100% convinced now

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #14 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
jesdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPStrades View Post
Flipping the leaf springs was a joke. Absolutely do not do that. Obviously a thread like this is going to welcome some flame. It is very Ill advised to lower a yj because it is not a coil sprung vehicle. You will be endangering more than just yourself if you do this. Leave it at oem and get thinner tires is my only advice if you're set on lowering the ride height.
I don't understand just what might make lowering a coil sping vehicle easier -- In fact it seems to me that lowering a leaf spring vehicle appears easier. With coil springs I would cut the springs shorter or buy shorter springs -- and with a leaf spring vehicle I would add larger spacer blocks and longer U-bolts -- but in either case it seems I would be limited by the original axle travel allowed before axle hits the rubber stop or bumper sitting above axle --
post #15 of 16 Old 08-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Crazysjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdreamer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPStrades View Post
I don't understand just what might make lowering a coil sping vehicle easier -- In fact it seems to me that lowering a leaf spring vehicle appears easier. With coil springs I would cut the springs shorter or buy shorter springs -- and with a leaf spring vehicle I would add larger spacer blocks and longer U-bolts -- but in either case it seems I would be limited by the original axle travel allowed before axle hits the rubber stop or bumper sitting above axle --
Just let it go already and go on a lowrider forum if you insist on doing something stupid to a 4w4 yj
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in