Lost 5th gear on my ax-5 need info please!!!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Flurry184
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lost 5th gear on my ax-5 need info please!!!!!

Yesterday i replaced my throw out bearing on my clutch. I went to work and my buddy put it all back together for me. When I was driving home doing about 70mph in 5th, its like it hit the rev limiter but only between 2000 and 3000rpm. Then I had no 5th gear. Any ideas? also will a ax5 out of a tj work? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Blazin Den

1995 YJ Wrangler 

my guess would be the snap ring came off that hold 5th gear in place. some can fix it with out taking the trans out, other take the trans out.
check this link out
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505640
"No 5th gear. This is the most common. You put it in 5th and nothing happens. It acts as neutral. This is because the c-clip holding the gear on its shaft snaps and the gear slides back, thus unable to engage. If this is your chase, you need a new clip. I had mine made from hi-grade steel to exact measurements. I talked to someone that found a match from a tractor. There are ways. I was unable to find a supplier that carried the ring. Good luck with this."

and if you do need a new trans check craigslist. they have ax5 on their every once in while cheap.

95 White YJ 2.5L/AX-5 Stock on 31s. Ground Pounder Fab (BESRK) Front Bumper, Herculined Interior, Windshield/Front Bumper Mounted Lights, Uniden PRO 520XL Cb,Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Bestop Supertop, Modified CJ7 Hardtop and CJ7 Twist Handle Full Doors (winter)
post #3 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
SteveJcoYJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

this is what i did

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697384

i've had two ax5's loose 5th gear on me, and one of them it was 4 months after a complete overhaul. right now what i'm doing is swapping in a 97' TJ ax5, and hopefully it'll hold out better, that link is the conversion.

good luck

post #4 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
kloppk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

What you have is a VERY common AX-5 problem.
The snap ring that holds the 5th gear in place has fallen off.

The one that's suppose to be here...

Your snapring probably looks like this laying in the bottom of your tranny case...

The allows the 5th gear to slide back like this....

It's just a matter of removing the rear half of the AX-5 case, sliding the gear back into position and installing a new snapring. This can be done with the tranny in the Jeep.

There is also a modified snapring assembly that can be purchased that is suppose to fix it for good and not come off again.
It looks like this....

Yes a TJ AX-5 will fit.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a question now...

I have 5th gear, but the sound of it is HORRIBLE. It sounds like heavy equipment tracks on pavement or something... I have power sent to the wheels, but like I said I get that noise... 3rd gear did it on my last AX-5 too... Any possibility that I just lost the snap ring, or is there something more wrong with mine? If not, I'd be more than willing to tackle the problem myself. Or just rebuild my old AX-5 and slap it in so I have no downtime...

92 YJ. Lifted, rubbered, geared, and more
post #6 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM
p2tharizo
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys! I just signed up for the forum because my 91 YJ has this same problem. I feel pretty confident tearing it apart, but kloppk-where did you find the parts you have pictured? Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Jhowe2k

Does anyone have a part number to the old clip or the new collar/clip assembly? I have been looking all over the place for this and no one seems to have the numbers.

-Jared
post #8 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

5th Gear

There are several companies that sell a collar to go around the shaft and includes a new snap ring. When you install the new snap ring you put this over the snap ring and shaft and problem is fixed permanently. The collar is held on with two set screws. It runs around 35 dollars.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 AM
fyrdriver
1983 CJ7 

Consolidated Transmissions in Sanford Florida sells them

--------------------------------------------------
Firefighters Jeep Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My question would be if this is a common issue with the ax-5, is it also a common issue for the ax-15 from the cherokees? If not why not swap an ax-15 into the wrangler and not have the issue anymore?
post #11 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 PM
fyrdriver
1983 CJ7 

Its common with the Ax-5 not with the 15. But they are not interchangeable, meaning its not an easy or "direct" swap. The ax-5 was behind the 4 cyl and the ax-15 behind the 6 cyl, they have different bellhousing bolt patterns.

--------------------------------------------------
Firefighters Jeep Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-13-2009, 10:28 AM
ROSE5365

Transmission Problem

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum (and jeeps as well), and registered because of this thread. I have the same problem with fifth, but with one caveat...Horrible noise in fifth and a light ticking/knocking sound in all other gears. 1-4 and R work with no problems, so I'm wondering if a broken snap ring inside the tranny could be the cause of my sound. I'm going to open her up this weekend to inspect the situation, but until then any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-13-2009, 10:48 AM
YJake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

My 5th fell off and I can hear it jingling around in the tranny now. It does make a kind of ticking noise while in neutral idling so maybe that's what you're refering to?

I have the snapring collar from consolidated transmissions Sanford, Florida sitting next to me right now on my coffee table. It looks much different than the one pictured but it acomplishes the same thing.

I'll be putting it in soon.

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-_
()_) ()_)[email protected]=)_)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 PM
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those of you that just "lose" 5th gear are lucky. This is what my AX-5 did when that snap ring failed:

-Matt

White '94 YJ Sport
Green '94 XJ Sport - 57,000 Original miles

post #15 of 16 Old 07-11-2010, 03:25 AM
SunDevilJeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCleanYj View Post
I've got a question now...

I have 5th gear, but the sound of it is HORRIBLE. It sounds like heavy equipment tracks on pavement or something... I have power sent to the wheels, but like I said I get that noise... 3rd gear did it on my last AX-5 too... Any possibility that I just lost the snap ring, or is there something more wrong with mine? If not, I'd be more than willing to tackle the problem myself. Or just rebuild my old AX-5 and slap it in so I have no downtime...
i have the exact same problem, i was on a downhill run heading out to LA and i was near blythe. i must have been doing 65 maybe 70 and it started making a buzzing noise then it turned into knocking noise and now it sounds like the tracks on an ancient D6 dozer.

00 Ram 1500 Sport
98 Ram 1500 Sport
91 YJ 4.0
92 YJ 5.9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in