Looking for part# J3240729 - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
MildCharisma
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for part# J3240729

Anyone have a line on where I can find the OEM underhood lamp unit? OEM part #J3240729.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 06:55 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

is this for a restoration build?

because if not - that light is useless and can be upgraded for much cheaper and with little effort.
Attached Thumbnails
20190904_205512.jpg  

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 07:52 PM
Chrisnvegas

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have that light, it comes with an integral mercury switch and is as good as the light bulb installed. 1156 base.

I have not seen a NOS available for years. If you want the real thing, it's going to be a used part. Ebay, Jeep salvage shops, junk yards ect.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off

post #4 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 PM
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I cut the wire, added a physical on/off switch then hooked up LED strip lights to the folded sheet metal on the sides of the engine bay and on the firewall. It works pretty well.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

I just decided I wasn't going to break down after dark.
jbolty, Boojo35, Dhaole and 3 others like this.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #6 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
MildCharisma
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpage View Post
I cut the wire, added a physical on/off switch then hooked up LED strip lights to the folded sheet metal on the sides of the engine bay and on the firewall. It works pretty well.

Like this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I have that light, it comes with an integral mercury switch and is as good as the light bulb installed. 1156 base.

I have not seen a NOS available for years. If you want the real thing, it's going to be a used part. Ebay, Jeep salvage shops, junk yards ect.

Yeah thats the only place I've been able to find it. For a silly price at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I just decided I wasn't going to break down after dark.

This seems like the ideal scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
is this for a restoration build?

because if not - that light is useless and can be upgraded for much cheaper and with little effort.

No, I was being lazy, saw the open single slot connector and figured I'd just throw something in there. Seems like it would be easy enough to cut something else in with more lighting power.

Last edited by MildCharisma; 10-10-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: I suck at forums
post #7 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 11:28 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea... I did as Xpage... put in a manual switch. It was an old LED mini bar ...low draw. And a recycled switch that comes with wiring harnesses. I save all that crap...I can swivel it around to focus the light where needed
Attached Thumbnails
20190902_212648_1570724828071.jpg   20190902_212641_1570724879555.jpg   20190905_193502_1570725044837.jpg  

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #8 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
MildCharisma
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Yea... I did as Xpage... put in a manual switch. It was an old LED mini bar ...low draw. And a recycled switch that comes with wiring harnesses. I save all that crap...I can swivel it around to focus the light where needed

That's a pretty sweet setup! I am a long way from having an engine bay that clean. Inherited a mess, but that's half the fun.

The under hood lamp is a need since I seem to be diagnosing something every other week, sometimes on the road.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would like one too. My stock one broke off and so far Iíve been too lazy to wire up something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #10 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 02:37 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
except for maybe checking the oil or a jump start I have never found under hood lights to have much value. They never seem to light up where you need to see except in your eyes.

Being a YJ guy I spend a fair amount if time roaming junkyards and have come across a few GM cars that had a nifty light under the hood then pulls out on a wire and has a crank to wind it back in. I grabbed a couple which then sat on the shelf for a year or two until finally deciding that just using a flashlight was way easier tossed them.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." óHubert Humphrey

post #11 of 24 Old 10-11-2019, 01:19 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
except for maybe checking the oil or a jump start I have never found under hood lights to have much value. They never seem to light up where you need to see except in your eyes.

Being a YJ guy I spend a fair amount if time roaming junkyards and have come across a few GM cars that had a nifty light under the hood then pulls out on a wire and has a crank to wind it back in. I grabbed a couple which then sat on the shelf for a year or two until finally deciding that just using a flashlight was way easier tossed them.
Obviously never worked in my type of context. Public underground parking garage with no light above my spot that I can use because I cant fold the hood all the way back due to the damn fire sprinkler getting in its way. :

My mini light bar spreads the light right across my bay. And I can swivel it easily towards firewall or radiator.

It came on real handy on my PS pump install most recently (I jerry rigged it up while awaiting for the pump to arrive).

Hope I never have to, but I can see its use on the side of the road. My setup anyhow.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #12 of 24 Old 10-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Chrisnvegas

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the controversial light in question.
Is it bright enough to perform an appendectomy?
Probably not. Check fluids? Yeah.

Attached Thumbnails
20191011_145618.jpg  
IronScott likes this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #13 of 24 Old 10-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That light is a common GM part through the same years. Broaden your search.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-12-2019, 12:22 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have no idea how you guys keep your engine bay so clean. My splash guards fell off YEARS ago and now every time I drive through anything the underside of my hood gets dirty. It's stained pretty good.
sptrmike and Chrisnvegas like this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-12-2019, 09:02 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
and here is the light I mentioned, it pulls out about 10' and cranks back in
Attached Images

Chrisnvegas likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." óHubert Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in