Looking to Organize a Savvy Aluminum Bumper Group Buy - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 02-09-2021, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Fouledplugs

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looking to Organize a Savvy Aluminum Bumper Group Buy

There may be a chance for us YJ owners to get our hands on a Savvy Offroad Aluminum Bumper for our YJ’s.

savvyoffroad.com
SAV-TJF - Savvy Off Road Front Bumper TJ/LJ 1997-2006 - Savvy Off Road
Savvy Off Road Front Bumper for Jeep Wrangler TJ/LJ 1997-2006 Innovative aluminum front bumper designed for the Jeep Wrangler 1997-2006 TJ/LJ. The bumper is a short wing design with optional accessories.
savvyoffroad.com

Currently Savvy’s aluminum front bumpers are only offered for TJ’s but they have built some YJ bumpers in the past and have been discontinued.

I contacted Gerald at Savvy and he mentioned there may be a chance to get some built if we can amass atleast 10 orders which would make it worth their while.

The Savvy front bumper weighs the exact same as the factory YJ bumper but with huge strength improvements along with an area to mount a winch, tow hooks, and lights.

It’s shipped in raw aluminum which can be painted, powder coated, or even left raw.

Anyone interested and willing to commit to a buy?

Pictures are from,”Nicks Yellow Throwback Jeep,” TJ Build over on the TJ forum.

Attached Thumbnails
4AD08359-F99C-4EA9-BA86-E3FC991A315E_1612875516410.jpg   90F0A5E5-B11A-439E-A4A7-B8A08E68E3E8_1612875526527.jpg   60C1F386-B2E7-4D84-B94C-FD57EAE40B93_1612875534762.jpg   CA6D2224-A0E4-4CDD-8C8C-B3E4DB27340F_1612875555460.jpg   DD420B85-7951-405F-833C-17A63736391D_1612875567342.jpg  

Attached Images

1995 YJ, 4in springs, SUA. Soon to be under the knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 02-09-2021, 06:34 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That sure is nice and clean.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 65 Old 02-09-2021, 06:53 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
How clean does it get yer wallet?

Edit: never mind. It intrigued me and it looks nice.
Then I remembered I really want to mount the winch lower and incorporate the fairlead into the front crossmember.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 65 Old 02-09-2021, 06:58 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Quote:

Then I remembered I really want to mount the winch lower and incorporate the fairlead into the front crossmember.
Probably get my wallet much cleaner than my PS winch bumper.

I can't lie... I prefer the PS' form. And the functionality is presumably the same. Aluminum is nice for weight though.

post #5 of 65 Old 02-09-2021, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Fouledplugs

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
it’s prob on the cleanest aluminum fronts out there. And the lightest.

post #6 of 65 Old 02-09-2021, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Fouledplugs

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably get my wallet much cleaner than my PS winch bumper.

I can't lie... I prefer the PS' form. And the functionality is presumably the same. Aluminum is nice for weight though.
I’d argue that some of the other brands bumpers aren't as well thought out as the Savvy. Such as an integrated winch deck compared to the UCF aluminum bumper. The ability to move the winch backwards on the bumper (not sure if the YJ version would incorporate this feature) and the Savvy bumper incorporates a level of protection for the tube crossmember on the underside which equals a gain in more strength.

post #7 of 65 Old 02-09-2021, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Fouledplugs

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Any examples of folks doing this? Does the factory tube crossmember get in the way? Doesn’t the PS box present a problem with this? You’re losing approach angle/ground clearance, right?

Last edited by Fouledplugs; 02-09-2021 at 05:22 PM.
post #8 of 65 Old 02-10-2021, 06:30 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think you should start a thread and discuss this. I'm curious on your thought process. Only way I can think to accomplish this is remove the round crossmember. I'd kind of like to do this but how best to put the crossmember back is the hard part.

post #9 of 65 Old 02-10-2021, 06:45 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouledplugs View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Any examples of folks doing this? Does the factory tube crossmember get in the way? Doesn’t the PS box present a problem with this? You’re losing approach angle/ground clearance, right?
I believe we had a.member who did this fairly recently.

Alias escapes me though. Cut right into the cross member, welded the gap shut as part of the drop in winch box.

post #10 of 65 Old 02-10-2021, 03:50 PM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a winch holder... Not so much a bumper.
Awesome likes this.

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.
post #11 of 65 Old 02-10-2021, 06:10 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Quote:
intrigued me and it looks nice.
I think you should start a thread and discuss this. I'm curious on your thought process. Only way I can think to accomplish this is remove the round crossmember. I'd kind of like to do this but how best to put the crossmember back is the hard part.
Well first a transmixer rebuild, then the winch buumpaire and my rock schlyder install. But sure, that will be fun!!

And I don’t have a round crossmember. 😄
It’s already 2x4 steel tube so as I could move the steering box forward to match the axle moving forward an inch. I have a brandy-new roller fairlead and I want to flush it into the crossmember instead of surface mounting. Plus I might want to make the crossmember interior hold 125psi of pressure

My tow hooks and shackles up front contact stuff already. The fairlead doesn’t need to add to that.

Cranking IS turning over
post #12 of 65 Old 02-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It looks clean and pretty but without seeing one inside and out up close and personal I would not be sure that the strength is up to par. For somebody that has a winch that is never used..... sure.... perfect..... for someone that might really abuse a winch, maybe or maybe not. It looks good but how strong is it????

Then there come the PIA thing of dissimilar metals mounted to each other and the ensuing corrosion. I live in the salt belt..... The corroded aluminum thing at every mounting point makes me say no thanks.
Awesome likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #13 of 65 Old 02-11-2021, 05:41 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I prefer having recovery points. But they can certainly be done without it.

Is that fearlead mount solid... or can it be moved, as in a separate piece which gets bolted down/sandwiched between the winch and the bumper itself?

Still prefer the look of the PS. The jagged contours just fit with jagged rectangular headlights. Lol

post #14 of 65 Old 02-11-2021, 06:53 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I really want to mount the winch lower and incorporate the fairlead into the front crossmember.
Mark, that seems like a lot of work, and has some risk of tweaking the frame (I can see it going 'boing' when you cut through the round tube ). I'm definitely an outside the box fabrication thinker, but I'm curious why you think lowering the winch that much is needed.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

post #15 of 65 Old 02-11-2021, 03:15 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Quote:
I really want to mount the winch lower and incorporate the fairlead into the front crossmember.
Mark, that seems like a lot of work, and has some risk of tweaking the frame (I can see it going 'boing' when you cut through the round tube [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]). I'm definitely an outside the box fabrication thinker, but I'm curious why you think lowering the winch that much is needed.
I have a rectangular crossmember now. And I can support things width-wise like I did last time.

You are right, it wants to sproing when you cut it. It will! If you measure it first and make sure it cain’t spread you can ratchet strap it back to its native home and elevation.

Lowering winch:
1- pulling from as low as possible makes extraction of yourself easier as most often you don’t need to pull yourself UNDER stuff. Up and over.
2- stealth looks, clean front end appearance
3- cool custom and sanitary
4- it’s an anti- Louie Radiator Syndrome (LRS) situation
5- cuz I can
6- cuz few have done it
Awesome likes this.

Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in