Lifter noise 2.5 4 cylinder

Can anyone tell me if the lifters are adjustable in my 2.5 4 cylinder engine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 05:03 PM
bharris68
Gravel Truck Pilot
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't believe they are - to the best of my knowledge they are hydraulic. If they are noisy - you'll want to try something like Marvel Mystery Oil or a little bit of SeaFoam in the crankcase to help clean out any accumulated gunk.

First step is to assure you're using the correct viscosity of oil for your climate and the time of year
post #3 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Is your oil fresh and full and oil changes been done regularly and no sludge in engine? These things really matter before moving forward.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 07:54 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

the 4 squirrels are a loud engine.

Before i rebuilt - i had some chattering. Used this at every oil change and it did help. After a few changes it actually all went away.

Brought the engine forward for another 1.5 years until she finally exploded.
Attached Images

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #5 of 6 Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Jeepsr4me

Unlike the 4.0 you can change the lifters on the 2.5 easy.... Pull the valve cover. Pull the wiring harness to the coil.
Now make sure trans is out of gear or in park. set brake.
Either get someone to crank the engine over while watching each rocker to see that it moves the same amount as the others, so to make sure there is no worn cam lobes.
If all seem to move about the same amount up and down, pull the rockers off, keeping them in order so you can return them back to same location.
Pull the push rod out and look down and you will see the lifters. They make a lifter pulling tool, but long needle nose pliers pulls them right out. I have used a bent piece of wire to grab the clip of the lifter. If the lifter dont want to come out easy you can rotate the engine some and the cam lobe will push it up some and most times it comes right out. When I put in the new lifters I use assembly lube on them after soaking the lifter in oil. I have done this many times on many different engines and all seem to work just fine. Make sure the oil is new and of the right type. Most times I find that 1/2 the old lifters are just bad and will not hold a prime and thats the noise you hear. They are not stuck and no amount of snake oil gonna fix them. Think the internal bore that provides the hydraulic cushion has worn to point of no holding pressure.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-16-2019, 11:42 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

When are the lifters making noise, cold, fully warm, both?
What is the oil pressure at idle, fully warmed up after several miles of driving?

End the Ethanol Rip-Off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in