Lift Kits: BDS, OME...comments please? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-12-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lift Kits: BDS, OME...comments please?

OK, I imagine this is probably one of the oldest topics around, but I'm new here... so please forgive me.

I have acquired a decent 88 YJ. I want to put 31's or 32's on it. About half the people I read or talk to say "You'll need a lift kit for 31's," the other half say "The will fit." Uh, ok. (I do intend to change the wheels, if that helps... am thinking AR767's, 15*8).

So, I see the BDS 2 inch kit, with shocks, for about $425. I see what appears to be an equivalent OME set for about a grand. Hm. What do you get for that extra $500? Are the OME's kits really that much better?

FWIW, this is a toy, not a daily driver (I drive an Outback for that). Use will be Northeast, mud, snow, dirt roads, and a fair amount of just running out to the beer store.

Thanks.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-12-2004, 06:56 PM
BIG KEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark
OK, I imagine this is probably one of the oldest topics around, but I'm new here... so please forgive me.

I have acquired a decent 88 YJ. I want to put 31's or 32's on it. About half the people I read or talk to say "You'll need a lift kit for 31's," the other half say "The will fit." Uh, ok. (I do intend to change the wheels, if that helps... am thinking AR767's, 15*8).

So, I see the BDS 2 inch kit, with shocks, for about $425. I see what appears to be an equivalent OME set for about a grand. Hm. What do you get for that extra $500? Are the OME's kits really that much better?

FWIW, this is a toy, not a daily driver (I drive an Outback for that). Use will be Northeast, mud, snow, dirt roads, and a fair amount of just running out to the beer store.

Thanks.

Mark

I say go with a bds 3.5inch suspension lift! That what I have and I am very pleased with that setup. Whatever you do be sure to plan out what you want to do with the jeep so you don't have to buy stuff over and over again. Since this is your toy you might consider doing a soa!

This topic has been covered many times so try to do a search!

Hope this helps

Big kev

Punisher 95 YJ
SOA 103' WB 40" IROKS
Kingpin HP60 / 60 5.13's locked
KORE4x4CUSTOMS.com
post #3 of 18 Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I just saw that there is a search function that goes through the archived posts. Reading through some past threads, I do see some good comments. However, a lot of people seem to comment that "this is good" or "that is bad" based on what they've read, or heard...or because that's what they have. That's cool. I do the same thing. But I wonder if anyone has actually compared the BDS and OME lifts, in what might be relatively comparable vehicles? Just wondering....

post #4 of 18 Old 04-12-2004, 07:52 PM
JeepDoctor

I put 31's on my 89 YJ. As long as your springs aren't really sagging, a 2 inch shackle lift is a very good option. I bought front and rear 2 inch shackles from JC Whitney for around $50. You'll not find an easier, cheaper way to get the room for the 31's. Good Luck!
post #5 of 18 Old 04-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Lewis

I have the BDS lift and it works great. I had a Rubicon Express lift on my last jeep and it worked well also, but was more expensive.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-12-2004, 08:30 PM
DanaT

Hmmm..the shackle lift.

I have been thinking of that.

However, and maybe someone can enlighten me, won't a shackle lift mess up driveline gemometry?

It seem that raising the front (or rear) of a leaf spring without the other end would tend rotate the axle. It would have the same effect as adding a degree shim by changing the angle of the leaf itself. On the rear, without a transfer case lowering kit, it could cause vibrations because the u-joints are parallel. In the front, i would be as pronounces in the driveline since a YJ is part time 4WD, but wouldn't affect rake and trail? Rake and trail is what makes the vehicle stable in a straight line.

What I have thought about doing for a good all around lift is running a shakle relocation kit with about a 2" lift for the front. In rear just get two springs that are 2" lift springs. That seems like it would make a nice handling jeep with a moderate (minor?) lift. It woudl ride better than stock and yet be able to fit a litte bigger tire.

Just my random thoughts. I should quit thinking.

-Dana
post #7 of 18 Old 04-13-2004, 07:58 AM
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did a BDS 3.5 ! But if you like the CHEEZY look do a big shackle
lift !

"93" YJ 3.5 BDS, 5/8" Boomerings, 1"BL
33"x12.5" Ford 5.0 8.8 AX-15 231 SYE
post #8 of 18 Old 04-13-2004, 09:39 AM
MarathonScott

So.... does ANYONE have any first hand information on the Old Man Emu suspension system? I, too, am interested in hearing comments on an OME installation. I have already searched and not found much in the archives on OME and I was wondering why. Maybe because of the cost??
post #9 of 18 Old 04-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Kick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Most people in this forum will say either the RE or bds I personally have the bds 3.5 with 5/8 boomerang shackles with 31" goodyear mtrs nice ride with plenty of flex.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-13-2004, 06:38 PM
blackw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick
Most people in this forum will say either the RE or bds I personally have the bds 3.5 with 5/8 boomerang shackles with 31" goodyear mtrs nice ride with plenty of flex.
Where did you get the 5/8 boomerang shackles? Are they 5/8" longer than stock or do they give you 5/8" lift (i.e. 1 1/4" longer than stock) ? Looking for a set myself.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Tshark299

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread but I think this applies since it's in regards to sus*****on modification... but I noticed a lot of you have the 3.5" BDS kit. I too have the same kit and was wondering how many leaves were in your rear spring packs. I read in here that the kit comes with either 4 or 5, and that the 4 packs tend to sag over time... this worries me because mine have 4! I was wondering if anyone noticed this as being true...

Also, my suspension with that kit doesn't really flex as well as I expected it to. To the same people with the BDS kit (or anyone really), do you have your rear and/or front trackbars still attached? Both of mine are and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 4.0L, AX-15, NP231, 4.10s: 3.5" BDS, 31" Muds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

- Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
post #12 of 18 Old 04-14-2004, 07:53 PM
johnny1720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread but I think this applies since it's in regards to sus*****on modification... but I noticed a lot of you have the 3.5" BDS kit. I too have the same kit and was wondering how many leaves were in your rear spring packs. I read in here that the kit comes with either 4 or 5, and that the 4 packs tend to sag over time... this worries me because mine have 4! I was wondering if anyone noticed this as being true...

Also, my suspension with that kit doesn't really flex as well as I expected it to. To the same people with the BDS kit (or anyone really), do you have your rear and/or front trackbars still attached? Both of mine are and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.

I have the 3.5 BDS. When I ordered it I asked specifically for the 5 leaf packs. When I got it I put it in an never counted the leaf packs. So I drove the jeep for 1 year and then the 33's started rubbing like crazy, I wondered why then I counted only 4 leafs. I called the place I bought them and had them swapped out under warranty.

Now I am under a new delimma, last year my goal was to get it up in the air, now my goal is to make it flex, the front and rear track bars are coming off. And I am gonna get some revolver shackles.

I have seen the OME lifts and they look and ride nice, I have never seen one off road though I have no idea how it flexes. As for what tires you can fit, you need to understand this, you could probably wedge 33's under a stock jeep but you will rub and ruin tires and fenders. You can put 31x10.5.15 on you jeep as it sits, if your springs are not sagging. If they are you should probably get 30x10.5x15's. If you get one of those cheapo lifts you are gonna regret it because it will most likely ride badly.

A little information about shackles: is that when you increase your spring height, in order to keep correct driveshaft geomerty and ride you should get longer shackles. Shackles really arent all that bad of an idea if you just wanna see how your jeep rides. Its just like getting a BB for TJ its a cheap easy way to see if you are gonna like it.

HTH and sorry it was so long

johnny
post #13 of 18 Old 04-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Kick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackw
Where did you get the 5/8 boomerang shackles? Are they 5/8" longer than stock or do they give you 5/8" lift (i.e. 1 1/4" longer than stock) ? Looking for a set myself.

blackw you can get them right from more (mountain off road enterprises) 970 625 0500 or their web sight and yes they do give you 5/8" of extra lift.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Kick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299

I too have four leaves in the back. My lifts been on for about a year now and I use my hardtop in the winter plus tools, tow strap and other junk in the back add weight and I also tow my dirtbike with it, no problems yet. But don"t worry as long as you have your reciept you'll get the five pack under warrenty for free. Also I do have both tracking bars connected, evan so I think mine flexes pretty good, soon I will remove the rear one.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-21-2004, 02:02 PM
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the black diamond 3.5" lift and I like it alot. I used to have a 3" rough country and it rode like crap and would not flex well.

I also put more boomerang shackles on the back and regular more shackles on the front, very nice cause now you can grease those bushings.

Here is something to remember when dealing with the trac bars and antisway bars....CJ's had neither of them and they had more narrow springs than the YJ. I removed both trac bars and sway bars and could tell a big difference in the onroad handling. I do not drive crazy but I live in east tn in the smokies and there alot curvy mountain roads here.

At least lose the trac bars. your suspension will gain alot of flex that way.

also loosen the bolts some on your shackles. This will allow them to work like they are suppose to. My more shackles came with lock nuts so I just snugged up the nuts and my suspension will flex alot.

To view the NEW
click here!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in