1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbolty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-21-2021, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
DeeDubz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Lift before regearing?

I have a 87 YJ that I wanna put a 2.5 or 4 inch lift on. It needs to be regeared. My top speed on the freeway is 55mph at 3600rmp. My question is which one should I do first or does it even matter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-21-2021, 05:29 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
does not really matter except lift means change in tires which affects gearing. If you have the axles pulled to regear do the lift at the same time and save effort. so I guess the answer is both at once.

what motor, trans, what gears do you have. what tires are you wanting?

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2021, 07:41 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDubz View Post
I have a 87 YJ that I wanna put a 2.5 or 4 inch lift on. It needs to be regeared. My top speed on the freeway is 55mph at 3600rmp. My question is which one should I do first or does it even matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
does not really matter except lift means change in tires which affects gearing. If you have the axles pulled to regear do the lift at the same time and save effort. so I guess the answer is both at once.

what motor, trans, what gears do you have. what tires are you wanting?
Pretty much what @jbolty said.

55 MPH at 3600 rpm seems like you are over-geared. Higher RPM at speed as a result of too tall of a gear.

Are you running a 5 speed or a 3-speed auto?

at 2.5" of lift you could run 32 or 33 inch tires (depending upon the lift) what size tires do you have now?

What size tire are you considering after the lift?

Here is a calculator tool you can use to determine your RPM at Speed based upon your info: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared

post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2021, 05:16 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am curious if you are running the factory tach converted to your SBC and if it is accurate. 3600 at 55 is a lot of RPM's and suggests that the tach either is not accurate or you already have a steep gear in it. My 87 3 speed auto turns 3200 RPM at 70 MPH. I have 30's and 3.55 gears.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2021, 07:53 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely sounds like the tach is wrong to me.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-25-2021, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
DeeDubz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Pretty much what @jbolty said.

55 MPH at 3600 rpm seems like you are over-geared. Higher RPM at speed as a result of too tall of a gear.

Are you running a 5 speed or a 3-speed auto?

at 2.5" of lift you could run 32 or 33 inch tires (depending upon the lift) what size tires do you have now?

What size tire are you considering after the lift?

Here is a calculator tool you can use to determine your RPM at Speed based upon your info: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
ITs a 3 speed auto. Once the tires need to be replaced im going to go with 33s. Thanks for the calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
I am curious if you are running the factory tach converted to your SBC and if it is accurate. 3600 at 55 is a lot of RPM's and suggests that the tach either is not accurate or you already have a steep gear in it. My 87 3 speed auto turns 3200 RPM at 70 MPH. I have 30's and 3.55 gears.
The tach is correct I can tell the engine is running high rpm from the noise. Im not sure what kind of gears I have. I hate to ask but how would one find out?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-25-2021, 02:37 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDubz View Post
ITs a 3 speed auto. Once the tires need to be replaced im going to go with 33s. Thanks for the calculator

The tach is correct I can tell the engine is running high rpm from the noise. Im not sure what kind of gears I have. I hate to ask but how would one find out?
foolproff way is to take off the diff cover and count the teeth on the ring and pinion. The number is probably etched in as well but just count them.
Luuca likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2021, 06:33 PM
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This question is only from reading others information here, so bear with me. This was the first thought that came to me when reading the rpm vs speed the OP posted.

Doesn't the auto come with much lower gear ratio than manual? Is it possible that someone stuck 4.10 manual gears in or did a swap from another YJ not knowing there is a difference? If I remember correctly, the Dana 35 is on the rear and is a pretty weak differential. Maybe the PO had one blow up on him and swapped.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-26-2021, 05:09 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJ4FUN View Post
This question is only from reading others information here, so bear with me. This was the first thought that came to me when reading the rpm vs speed the OP posted.

Doesn't the auto come with much lower gear ratio than manual? Is it possible that someone stuck 4.10 manual gears in or did a swap from another YJ not knowing there is a difference? If I remember correctly, the Dana 35 is on the rear and is a pretty weak differential. Maybe the PO had one blow up on him and swapped.
Yes. The thought is that if the tach is accurate then the gears have been swapped thus why it is suggested to count the teeth on the ring and pinion.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in