Lean code but running rich - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 113 Old 11-07-2019, 09:37 PM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The was a recall on the 1991-1993 YJ due to the location of the starter relay activation pin and the main battery + pin at the firewall bulkhead. Later models had a different bulkhead pinout. The recall only affected manual transmissions. So maybe you have a harness from a later model or the recall was never done on your Jeep?

Recall info can be found here

http://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/1993/RC-93V083-NN.PDF

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 11-08-2019, 06:53 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Another example of why this forum it’s so important

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #93 of 113 Old 11-08-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do believe the harness is from a 94 or 95 so you are probably correct. I really suck with wiring hence why I decided to just replace the entire harness. I do know that I had to use the adapter that came with the harness to hook up my reverse lights. The on that was on there didnt fit. Thats what makes me think nuetral safety switch. For the moment I rigged up a push button start but I dont want to leave it that way. I was looking at some diagrams last night but mine didnt have the bulkhead connector. I will try to specifically find that pin out so I can get this fixed right.

On a brighter not I suck with wiring. I replaced the harness in the dark and it seems this is my only issue so I am kinda happy about that. I even drove it to work this morning. Shes running beautiful again and I forgot how much power she had before the issues started. Now the girlfriend is telling me we are going trail riding monday since we are both off. I think she loves this jeep more than I do.

Anyone got any tips on moving the pin in the connector so I dont destroy it. I will practice on the old harness before moving it on my good one.

Thanks to all that have been chiming in and helping I really appreciate it.

Oh and I am still using the old computer my new one got delayed. The nut in it for the bolt ripped out so I have the connector zip tied on. I will be putting the replacment in this weekend and this one will become a trail spare or possibly help out someone thats desperate if that arises.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.

post #94 of 113 Old 11-08-2019, 08:11 AM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The pins on the bulkhead are standard Packard/Delphi pins. Once the wedge is removed, a small screwdriver or pick can be used to depress the locking tab on the terminal to remove.

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project
post #95 of 113 Old 11-08-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitloose06 View Post
The was a recall on the 1991-1993 YJ due to the location of the starter relay activation pin and the main battery + pin at the firewall bulkhead. Later models had a different bulkhead pinout. The recall only affected manual transmissions. So maybe you have a harness from a later model or the recall was never done on your Jeep?

Recall info can be found here

http://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/1993/RC-93V083-NN.PDF
Dude you are awesome. Thank you this had the instructions on which wires and even how to move them. Looks like I have something else to do saturday

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #96 of 113 Old 11-08-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just discovered I have no horn. So I guess I'll be tracing that out this weekend too

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #97 of 113 Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Just discovered I have no horn. So I guess I'll be tracing that out this weekend too
Who needs a horn? There is a finger on both of my hands that replaces it.....

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #98 of 113 Old 11-09-2019, 09:26 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Check for voltage before you drive yourself crazy with the wires. It just seems that that is one that doesn’t move or change. It could be as much as a bad connection

Cranking IS turning over
post #99 of 113 Old 11-09-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Quote:
That's my current method but when I have kids in the jeep it's frowned upon.

Who needs a horn? There is a finger on both of my hands that replaces it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Quote:
Check for voltage before you drive yourself crazy with the wires. It just seems that that is one that doesn’t move or change. It could be as much as a bad connection
I was just looking at the pinouts and saw it was the same. I am gonna put a known good relay in. The pdc on the new harness came with relays in it but I don't know thier status I am gonna swap my known good relay in and see if it's getting the trigger signal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #100 of 113 Old 11-09-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well now I'm waiting to hear back from dead jeeps on eBay. The harness has the speed sensor circuit at the sensor and the starter circuit at the pdc but both are missing at the bulk head connector and I found a vampire tap on 2 power wires under the connector cover when I took it off. I order a stock untouched harness and I had to splice field coil wires that were ripped off some of the connectors were missing the retaining clips and the bulk head connector is cracked and missing 2 circuits so we will see what happens when I talk to them Monday. We will see if they wanna make it right. I confirmed missing circuits by counting pins my stock had 17 this one had 15. Some of the colors were different too. Definitly not the 95 harness I ordered.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #101 of 113 Old 11-09-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I tried test continuity from the connector to the relay and got nothing. I found a diagram that matches the colors though the starter switch pin isn't in the right spot. If I jump 12v to the pin I think it it it should engage the starter or worst case blow a fuse right?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #102 of 113 Old 11-10-2019, 09:59 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
seems reasonable

Cranking IS turning over
post #103 of 113 Old 11-11-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sooo I just got off the phone with Dead Jeeps where I got the harness. Amazing customer service I explained what I am seeing and before I was halfway through they issued a return label and were sending a replacement. Awesome awesome company I would highly recommend them. Once I get the new one and get it in.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #104 of 113 Old 11-14-2019, 08:33 PM
dshot59
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If I'm not mistaken the horn only works with the key on drove me nuts try'n to figure out why mine didn't work till I discovered that little tidbit.

When in doubt and you can't figure it out, Stand on it !
post #105 of 113 Old 11-15-2019, 07:38 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshot59 View Post
If I'm not mistaken the horn only works with the key on drove me nuts try'n to figure out why mine didn't work till I discovered that little tidbit.
Varies. Generally 91 and earlier Jeeps/ harness, the horn always works. 92-95 I don’t think they work with ignition off. Not sure but that’s what I think.

Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in