2Likes
  • 1 Post By Boojo35
  • 1 Post By Siva283

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
As of recent I've been having extreme gas pressure release when I take off my gas cap to pump gas ,and now there's leaking after a drive right underneath my charcoal canister. And there's liquid everywhere as you can see in the pic. Any thoughts if both issues are related? Any solutions for a fix ?

P. S. 3rd photo is from underneath the charcoal canister. You can see the black fluid droplets on the starter solenoid next to the red transmission bellhousing

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190910_112723_01_1568151542067.jpg   IMG_20190910_112537_01_1568151579797.jpg   20190910_103120_1568158885243.jpg  

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
4 cyl 2.5L TBI // 5 spd man
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your Gas cap vents vacuum or let's air in. Your rollover valves vent pressure to the canister it sounds like you either severely overfilled your tank or more likely something is plugged your vent system between the engine and canister. A third option and mine did this is my fuel pump was overheating badly creating more pressure than the vents can handle it had all the gas in my tank almost to hot to touch

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Your Gas cap vents vacuum or let's air in. Your rollover valves vent pressure to the canister it sounds like you either severely overfilled your tank or more likely something is plugged your vent system between the engine and canister. A third option and mine did this is my fuel pump was overheating badly creating more pressure than the vents can handle it had all the gas in my tank almost to hot to touch
I'll check choice 2 and 3 because I always ride half tank lol

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms

post #4 of 14 Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if that was gas... you would certainly smell it. Does it smell like fuel . . .

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #5 of 14 Old 09-10-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
if that was gas... you would certainly smell it. Does it smell like fuel . . .
Yes my Jeep has always smelled like fuel

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms
post #6 of 14 Old 09-11-2019, 05:30 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewill18 View Post
I think you have your answer then. Now you need to run the lines to see where the failure is. That can turn into a dangerous situation quickly.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 05:20 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yum!

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #8 of 14 Old 09-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Yikes! I don't even like the smell of oil cause that can catch fire too....... although much harder than fuel....
Chrisnvegas likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 PM
Azhunter1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was running like crap after I got it and I ended up dropping the tank cleaning it out and blowing about a 100psi down the line. The crap that came out was awesome. I ended up putting a third filter on right where the fuel line comes off the frame and over to the fuel pump. I used a clear filter so I could monitor the crap. Oh my jeep is a 88 4.2 with a carb.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-16-2019, 01:16 AM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sure doesn't look like gas to me. Looks oily. What is it, gas or oil? Kinda makes a difference!

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #11 of 14 Old 09-16-2019, 06:07 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know what I was thinking origionally when I looked at those pics. You should check your oil pressure sender and your dipstick when I got oil there thats where it came from.

You also need to find that fuel smell. My fiancee was was killed when her jeep caught on fire. Dont risk it it isnt worth.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #12 of 14 Old 09-16-2019, 10:20 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's why I wanted to confirm with the OP if it was gas... vastly different smell.

The texture and its appearance doesnt look like fuel. Its grimey. Dipstick tube may be blowing out oil or even from the valve cover on that side..if it was the sending unit, it'd be all over the place... hood, fender well, hell even the radiator. And i am fairly certain his engine would be seized by now...a sending unit failure can be catastrophic in no time

Doubtful... but a hairline crack on the dipstick tube somewhere on the pipe should be inspected for

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 14 Old 09-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
That's why I wanted to confirm with the OP if it was gas... vastly different smell.

The texture and its appearance doesnt look like fuel. Its grimey. Dipstick tube may be blowing out oil or even from the valve cover on that side..if it was the sending unit, it'd be all over the place... hood, fender well, hell even the radiator. And i am fairly certain his engine would be seized by now...a sending unit failure can be catastrophic in no time

Doubtful... but a hairline crack on the dipstick tube somewhere on the pipe should be inspected for
Or if your an idoit like me and screw it in tight but not tight enough the sending unit will leak slowly. Definitly looks like oil. I dont know why I was thinking those pics were in the back. Fuel is still nothing to mess around with. It defdinitly hits a spot. I would be worried about the fuel smell first then the oil

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #14 of 14 Old 09-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

When something isn't right with the fuel this can happen and did. Snuffed a life far to soon and took 2 kids mother away.
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in