leaking radiator - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
blondie9009
1993 YJ Wrangler 

leaking radiator

my radiator is leaking but it isn't any of the hose or the radiator itself. I had just replaced it and found where the leakage is from but don't know what exactly the name is and if its an easy fix or not

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9275.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hard to tell from photo. It looks like the hose has the metal spring to keep from collapsing, is that the lower radiatior hose coming from the water pump? Or is it coming from the bottom of the rad? If it's the hose coming from the water pump, it may be dripping down from the weep hole by the pump bearings. In that case you will need a new water pump, a pretty easy job. If it's coming out of the hose connection you need to pull the hose and make sure the metal is smooth ( no rust or corrosion) before putting the hose back on.

92 Rene, 4.5 RE lift, Currie ARB D44, super 8.8 ARB

YJOTM. 12/15
post #3 of 5 Old 03-12-2015, 05:14 PM
smartin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie9009
my radiator is leaking but it isn't any of the hose or the radiator itself. I had just replaced it and found where the leakage is from but don't know what exactly the name is and if its an easy fix or not
is that the little brass valves at the bottom? Can't tell by the pic. I had to redo my entire cooling system a while back and just did my radiator a second time because it cracked in single digit weather. If it is drain the radiator and take out those valves, go to autozone or pep boys and buy new brass fittings. Put them on with a little pipe tape and you'll be good to go. If it's the plastic that's leaking it may be cracked and you may be beat. Those brass fittings don't have to be yj specific I found Radom ones on the shelf when my newest radiator didn't come with them

post #4 of 5 Old 03-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it's leaking where the hose connects to the radiator, from the seam where the hose fitting protrudes out of the radiator, you can take it to a radiator repair shop and they'll fix it cheaper than you buying a new radiator. Mine did that the day I bought it.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2015, 12:31 AM
Johnnyrev

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It is a great close-up photo, but unfortunately too close. Reno72 has given you the best advice so far.

Tags
hose , leaking coolant , radiator , radiator support , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in