Leaf spring rate? - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Leaf spring rate?

Ok, so my stock springs are pretty flat. Was looking at a 2.5" lift and shocks, but now I'm thinking I'll stay factory height.
Does anyone know the stock spring rate? I'm on rockauto seeing 765 lb per spring, 650 lb, 840 lb, 1080 lb?
I would guess it's 765.
Any experience with Husky springs? They are labeled as 'popular.'

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know why spring manufacturers stopped posting spring rates several years ago. The most important information and it's a secret.
I remember reading years ago different spring rates. I remember old man emu was even softer than stock. I remember some we're in the 1200 inch pound range. I think they varied between 6:50 inch pounds + 1300. 1300 is equal to that of a concrete truck! Buying stock springs does that mean you're going to get stock springs. Those days are gone. You're going to end up with springs that are approximately the same height but there's no guarantees to the spring rate. I went from real OEM, still in good shape, to OME and OME are softer.
I love your question. Nobody ever asks about spring rate. Really pisses me off that the numbers are very hard to find.
Awesome, underscore and zrickety like this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #3 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 09:41 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...thread-353173/

http://www.thedirtforum.com/leafspringrate.htm

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the links. I had seen the first one before, but those numbers don't match up with what I'm seeing. Even multiplying by 12 I can't get similar numbers.
Interestingly, Autozone lists the stock springs as 765 lb capacity as well. Only rears.

post #5 of 26 Old 09-11-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
For the record, my 88 Laredo with 4.2 has 1" leaf pack in front.
This is listed as 650 lb per spring.
Only available from Crown and rockauto (Dayton).

post #6 of 26 Old 09-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Kick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think you would thank yourself later if you go with a 2-2.5 lift from a reputable company. BDS would be a good choice. Stock aftermarket springs are a gamble in in my opinion. Again just my opinion.

95 yj 4 lungs 3.5 bds more shackles ox locked 32" BFG AT KO patriot 9500 sye
08 unlimited rubicon 1"3/4 daystar lift
post #7 of 26 Old 09-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick View Post
I think you would thank yourself later if you go with a 2-2.5 lift from a reputable company. BDS would be a good choice. Stock aftermarket springs are a gamble in in my opinion. Again just my opinion.
I agree with this. For me Crown stock replacement springs in a SOA configuration were stiffer than my Rough Country 4.5" SUA configuration which are notorious for being super stiff. I know it's tough to swallow the price of an $800 - $1000 lift kit like OME or BDS. However, I had Rough Country springs when I bought it but wasn't happy. Spent about $600+ on a SOA lift with another $300 in brakes and high steer knuckles to accommodate that. Still wasn't happy and spent about $2000 or so on a 4 link rear suspension setup with coilovers. Admittedly, all of those were upgrades but if my springs had been a little softer on the road, I may never have gone SOA or 4 link.

post #8 of 26 Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks guys. I would go 2.5" max, but I have stockish 30" tires I don't plan on replacing anytime soon. I normally mod the crap out of my vehicles, but the Jeep is the first one I'm trying to keep as original as possible. I'm attracted to simple, inexpensive stock parts I can order anywhere, like shocks. I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews on springs. Haven't really been impressed with Crown quality, and it doesn't surprise me those springs are stiff. I will keep researching, preferably American made with decent reviews.

post #9 of 26 Old 09-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Thanks guys. I would go 2.5" max, but I have stockish 30" tires I don't plan on replacing anytime soon. I normally mod the crap out of my vehicles, but the Jeep is the first one I'm trying to keep as original as possible. I'm attracted to simple, inexpensive stock parts I can order anywhere, like shocks. I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews on springs. Haven't really been impressed with Crown quality, and it doesn't surprise me those springs are stiff. I will keep researching, preferably American made with decent reviews.
I remember saying that with my first Jeep. We will have to keep and eye and see if your one of the rare people immune to the bug or when you start researching SOA.
zrickety likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It's refreshing to leave it alone. Of course, I have bought basic upgrades...radio, HEI, exhaust, seat covers, super top, but mostly for reliability. Some sit on the shelf while I enjoy the Jeep as is.

The axles will always be the lowest part, no matter how high I go.

post #11 of 26 Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 AM
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you call Deaver Suspension, they custom engineer spring packs and can give you some good information. The engineer there has a YJ and may know the stock specs.

Adopt-a-Trail Volunteer SBNF 3N17
YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS
post #12 of 26 Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I don't know why spring manufacturers stopped posting spring rates several years ago. The most important information and it's a secret.
Years ago when I worked at Rancho, and also when I worked for Mickey Thompson, we use to publish our spring rates for various amounts of lift for all the springs we carried. Be they leaf or coil.

Problems started to arise when all the copy cat companies came along & used all our hard earned R&D (in the millions $) and then made their springs on our R&D dime.

Same goes for shock valving, steering stabilizers, coils etc.

When I left Rancho & started working for Mickey, I had not signed a non-disclosure statement with Rancho - so naturally I took all my R&D knowledge with me which was/is priceless.

I don't share it openly since I feel as if I would be a weasel if I did, even though I'm not obligated.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-12-2019, 02:58 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Years ago when I worked at Rancho, and also when I worked for Mickey Thompson, we use to publish our spring rates for various amounts of lift for all the springs we carried. Be they leaf or coil.

Problems started to arise when all the copy cat companies came along & used all our hard earned R&D (in the millions $) and then made their springs on our R&D dime.

When I left Rancho & started working for Mickey, I had not signed a non-disclosure statement with Rancho - so naturally I took all my R&D knowledge with me which was/is priceless.

I don't share it openly since I feel as if I would be a weasel if I did, even though I'm not obligated.
That makes sense.

But all we have to go by (when buying springs)
are the manufacturers descriptions. And they all describe their own springs in the best possible terms!

"great ride, on & off road"
"smoothest springs on the planet"

"laugh"

Hey, OP. I know what you want and have a solution.

OME spring #37R

OME 37R is OME's lightest duty spring. It's soft and does not lift that much.
When I built a YJ for my kid, I wanted to keep is pretty low but ride the best it could. He was turning 16, get it?

I chose OME 37R. Only marginally higher than stock. Most people can't even tell, yet it is Old Man Emu's softest spring. And man, are they cushy! He is also running 30" tires. We still have the Jeep, the kid is now 20, so we built this Jeep about 5 years ago. The springs have held up well taking my kid thru his TEEN YEARS! NO sag.

I have OME 36R and they are a bit stiffer and quite a bit more lift.

This is how your Jeep will look with 4 OME 37Rs and 30" tires...
Attached Thumbnails
20190912_135748_HDR.jpg  
zrickety likes this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #14 of 26 Old 09-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post

I understand the principle and I'm not asking you to disclose anything. However, I don't really understand the difference between publishing leaf spring rates and buying King coilover springs vs FOA vs some other no name copy cat which specifically claim a spring rate. Yes the name brand springs are likely more accurate and will hold up longer but at least we can get in the ballpark. The fact that there are actually leaf spring rate calculators out there now where you plug in the lengths, thicknesses, and arc numbers to help back out your leaf spring rate kinda makes this secret stuff a whole lot less secret for any copy cat company with half a brain. So without any knowledge of the company's leaf springs other than subjective opinions, we're practically forced into failure and thus get the reputation that all leaf spring vehicles are terrible.

I feel like we see this failure every week on this forum... One guy claims brand X's springs are fantastic and are super soft but neglects to tell everyone that he has a 37" spare hanging off his 1/4" thick bumper and tire carrier while having a full host of tools onboard and a hard top. The next guy buys these same springs but puts them on his stripped out jeep with no spare, no top, no armor, and no tools and can't understand why his jeep rides like it's got wooden wheels. It's ridiculous...
Chrisnvegas and zrickety like this.

post #15 of 26 Old 09-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I understand you guys' thoughts. Those who thrive on the R&D of others is one of the reasons which causes things to be what they are.

Some companies make/sell both types of suspension systems and if they openly gave one type data, it would be expected they'd provide other data. To not provide either, helps them to be consistent regardless of the flack they get for not publishing it. And while others are doing the same, seems more acceptable, be it only minimally acceptable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in