Leaf Spring Lube - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Leaf Spring Lube

After a mud run or if the springs get noisy I lift the Jeep up by the frame and power wash between the leaves. Been using a PB Blaster PTFE dry lube product that doesn't attract dirt like an oil or grease would.

*****local hardware was going out of business and was able to purchase a case for little $$******

The results are really noticeable even with the plastic spring pads. Much better ride, no noise and no rust. Well worth the time and effort IMHO.

That case of PB is about gone now and am looking at some potential options.

Fluid Film comes in several flavors and is lanolin based. Not familiar with that product so I don't know if it will turn into a gummy mess or not. They advertise it as a rust coating so I`m guessing it doesn't wash away to easy. The PB Blaster PTFE does wash away and that's one reason to look for an alternative.

PB also makes a graphite based product that seems like it would be ideal. Hydrophobic so it repels water. Non oily so dirt and crap won`t stick. Sprays on and than the solvent evaporates leaving behind a mix of a binder infused graphite. Not sure if that means it would build up over time or not. If it does would a good shot from the pressure washer clear it out ?

In addition to PB there are several other companies making the same type of graphite lube. Slip Plate is one as is the WD40 company. Not sure if there is much of a difference between the products or not.

What say the F12 wrecking crew ? Comments, thoughts, insults and outright opinions welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 11:17 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

People lube their springs?

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
People lube their springs?
That's what I thought also. A squeaky spring from a mud run was driving me nuts. Cleaning and lubing was such a change it has become a regular maintenance item.

post #4 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 11:40 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I know it attracts dirt, but what about anti seize?

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 02:45 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...aint-pail.html
It also comes in a spray.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 03:18 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you want insults you'll have to go over to POR!

Although a bit pricy, I would think Break Free would do the job. I use it on a ton of stuff. Not really greasy and excellent lube and rust preventer. I had an old .410 shotgun that was a bit rusty and the bluing was old. Did'nt want to spend the money on a re-blue. Completely sanded all the blue off the barrel and action. Then worked my way to finer grits until I got a bright finish kinda like stainless. Gave it a good coating of Break Free and let dry. That was 25 years ago and zero rust to this day!

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #7 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 04:02 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I love the Idea. Im watching with great interest because I really want a nicer ride in my junk.

Jim...

SGT USMC.

......YJOTM June 18......
post #8 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM
JarheadAl

Take care of your junk and your junk will take care you.
jsawduste and TheStevest like this.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Random opinions/replies in no particular order.

Anti seize would be a good lube but I`d be afraid of creating a valve grinding compound out of it when it gets mixed with dirt. If it sticks to metal like it does skin it would probably have staying power though.

That graphite paint would seem to be an excellent idea. Though to be effective the spring would need to come apart and be fully painted. Worth the labor IMHO. Come next winter when the Jeep gets laid up for the winter a coat of graphite paint is on the radar.

Maintenance shot of the spray once in a while wouldn't be a bad idea.

Never used POR 15. Folks seem to love or hate it with nothing in between. Chassis Saver has been my go to frame paint.

Have to search for the Break Free product. Never heard of it. Seems you`ve had good luck with it. Nobodies gonna get your TP stash that's a given.

A bit of Googling turned up some info on big trucks with leaf springs. Seems they had a grease fitting and maintenance was to shoot a few pumps between the leaves on occasion.

If you think about it we have layers of metal that are sliding over each other. In most cases the tips have a plastic slider that is supposed to help with that sliding motion. In our world we are flexing that spring more than a typical road driven vehicle........you do wheel you YJ, right ?....... often in some pretty nasty conditions. Opening up the spring pack to the elements in droop. It stands to reason that dirt and crud would get between the leaves and hamper that sliding motion. Anytime I`ve ever opened up a spring pack there has always been a layer of dried mud between the leaves.

The industry says not to lube the springs as the petroleum based products don't play nice with the steel. This is an old link but it does say that.
https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/l...ngleafsprings/

Think the primary reason is someone is going to go crazy with petroleum based lube and create a crud magnet. Wearing the plastic and the steel prematurely.

Cannot defend anything but personal experience has shown that if we keep the springs reasonably clean and shoot a little dirt resistant lube while at full droop they definitely work better.

The graphite lube seems to be a better choice from what I`ve gathered. There are a few Youtube video`s about it that make it seem right for our application.

Someone try it out and let us know what you think.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 05:43 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wouldn’t use the fluid film. Sure I use it in the salt/rust belt but only inside channels, tubes, frames, etc. and cavities like the front floor supports.

It attracts or more accurately HOLDS dust and dirt better than grease. Nasty crap. But it does hold out oxygen ok in my opinion.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
If you want insults you'll have to go over to POR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Never used POR 15. Folks seem to love or hate it with nothing in between. Chassis Saver has been my go to frame paint.
He was talking about the Pirate Forum.........

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #12 of 27 Old 03-24-2020, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

DUH on me !!

And I run a PBB 4x4 sticker on the rear window.
post #13 of 27 Old 03-25-2020, 03:39 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Caterpillar 1U8268

I do use it on my springs.
It's a dry lubricant intended for the chain and slides of a forklift and the moldboard circle and sideshift shims of road graders.
It does not attract dirt once it dries. Will not wash off with water. Don't get on your hands, it doesn't come off.

Good stuff for metal on metal when you don't want to attract dirt.

A Law repugnant to the Constitution is void. Marbury vs. Madison 1803 I'm talking to you, Virginia...
post #14 of 27 Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Caterpillar 1U8268

I do use it on my springs.
It's a dry lubricant intended for the chain and slides of a forklift and the moldboard circle and sideshift shims of road graders.
It does not attract dirt once it dries. Will not wash off with water. Don't get on your hands, it doesn't come off.

Good stuff for metal on metal when you don't want to attract dirt.
Thanks Chris. Exactly the info I was looking for. Prefer an OEM approved product whenever possible.

Being a user also, do you think it improves spring performance ?
post #15 of 27 Old 03-25-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
I wouldn’t use the fluid film. Sure I use it in the salt/rust belt but only inside channels, tubes, frames, etc. and cavities like the front floor supports.

It attracts or more accurately HOLDS dust and dirt better than grease. Nasty crap. But it does hold out oxygen ok in my opinion.
Thanks Fish, one product that has it usages but not specifically for what we are discussing here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in