King shocks worth it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

King shocks worth it?

At this point I have a guy wanting to trade me a set of King Smoothie 12" shocks for a set of tires.
I'm running "white tube" shocks on the front and old Rancho 5000 at mostly stock (stupid) angle on the back. Not the best riding rig.
Updating to the Kings would probably require a minor change in the front mount and outboarding the rears, something I want to do anyways.

1. Would the King shocks be worth it on leaf spring rig?
2. assuming they will need to be re-tuned. If I call King (or supplier) and give them my rig specs, will they be able to send me the correct shim kit?

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-15-2019, 02:13 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

In my opinion, they wouldn't be worth it unless you're screaming through the desert or racing it. If you're buying them used, you may have to get them re-valved for your application. If I was going to buy shocks that expensive though, I'd rather have coilovers and a 4 link rather than $200-ish leaf springs and $700+ shocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll bite If those Kings are at least as good as Fox 2.0 emulsion shocks tuned for your suspension and use, they'll be worth it. Otherwise, you may be playing with the valving for a while attempting to tune them. If you don't know the first thing about tuning them - I highly doubt you'll be able to find somebody willing to teach you that's good at it without paying for it with a kidney or lung. I suppose you could send them out to get tuned, or if you have a good local guy.

Many years ago I use to tune shocks for a living (I worked for Mickey Thompson at his SoCal off-road shop at the time). It's a highly skilled art, the learning curve is fairly sharp because folks don't have time, patience & $ for it to be done sloppy. And if you suck at it you'll get a bad reputation fast. Our customers were mainly high speed desert & Baja racers (Walker Evans, Ivan Stewart, Coco Corall, Dale Sexton etc) and off-road track racers.

Rick Hassler taught me how to tune way back when we worked together for Mickey.

Wayne Israelsen is who I trust to tune shocks. He has tuned several set's for us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in